Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• Cyriatan
    Cyriatan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How much could water retention from lifting -supposing that's true?- affect how much you weight? I started lifting with the "New Rules for lifting..." a month ago and this week started Insanity. It happened me before also that when I'm really sore, I weight more. Not much, like 2-5lbs more or less. The problem is that I seem to get stuck there for some weeks (it lasted like a month?). Last week I stopped exercising for the whole week because I was sick and suddenly one day I was 5lbs less, now I am back after exercising again and to those 2-5lbs more (depends on the day) and don't know if into a, plateu?, again. Haven't changed my diet habits or cheated, etc. I know it's not really muscle gain as it takes a lot of time to build it, but if it is not water I suppose I should be looking for a plateau/eating less then, or maybe it is something like non-linear fat loss if that's possible? It seems weird since I added more burnt calories to my pre-existent deficit with Insanity. I've lost 20lbs so far since June. I worry about keeping the same weight for weeks rather than for gaining something due to water retention or similar as I -think, at least- keep a nice deficit, it seems to me it should be "transitory"?

I am 5ft 4, and weigh right now 183 pounds, female, 22. Hypothyroidism, treated and normal (2.5). Normally eat about 1440kcal sometimes a little less, currently trying to up to 1600ish because of Insanity with little luck. I calculate my BMR with Mifflin-St Jeor and activity factor including exercise so don't eat those back as it's very inaccurate, also try as much as I can to count and measure everything. Currently at 125g protein, 56g fat, 109g carbs and trying to up carbs to 160g more or less. Ah, yeah, I have very bad sleep, normally if I can sleep (not always) get to sleep 3-4h on average since starting uni...a month ago.

Lots of questions, sorry and a very grateful "thanks"! :)
  • bkscott5
    bkscott5 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    To Cricket09 & to Tony,
    It's not like I typed my questions that waited for a reply 2 second later. I asked my first question on Oct. 5th & had another question on Oct 6th. Tony had lots of people asking for his advice just like I did. My questions were posted I believe both before page 10. Tony said he may have skipped some, which is totally understandable with such a high response so I did try asking the 1st one again I think on page 13. I would go through & read what Tony had replied to every few days & I noticed that Tony was answereing the same exact question 2 or even 3 times. So I thought gee maybe he, Tony, accidentally skipped my question or thought he already answered them. So I really didn't think that I would be totally out of line by re-posting & letting Tony know that it was a re-post so he didn't have to answer the same questions again.

Cricket09 & Tony I copied the 2nd question I had originally wrote on Oct 6 & the one that I had re-asked both around page 10 & before i think, showing the dates from when I asked my 2nd question & from the dated I re-asked my 1st one. So they both showed on page 17 & 18 where you could read it Cricket09 & Tony that I wasn't being rude sitting in front of my computer thinking that I'm the only person Tony should answer & he should do it in less than a minute.

I really thought that waiting several pages of other peoes questions being answered & waiting more than a week but seeing that my questions were not answered or even a note from Tony saying he didn't want to answere my questions which would have certainly been with in Tonys rights to say, that I could re-post my questions thinking he had missed them. Especially like I said when I saw that Tony was answering some of the same questions 2 & 3 times.

So Cricket09 & Tony what is the proper way each of you feel I should have handled this? How long should I wait when seeing that other questions asked much later than yours are being answered what should I have done differently. I've only asked a few questions in the community area so please Cricket09 tell me what the rules of this site are for how long I should wait. Just on the very unlikely chance that I get called to the front of the class & get talked down by someone who didn't even have all the facts, some that were even posted on the page that you used to put me down.
    So please tell me Cricket09 & Tony not that after this do I ever think I will want to use this part of the site since im a very nice person who tries very hard not to bother people & never put people down, especially if I don't know them & they didn't do what I was accusing them of doing.
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I am a 44 year old with diabetes and hemochromatosis, I would like to know your single most important nutrition advice to someone with hemo?

Thanks!!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    To Cricket09 & to Tony,
    It's not like I typed my questions that waited for a reply 2 second later. I asked my first question on Oct. 5th & had another question on Oct 6th. Tony had lots of people asking for his advice just like I did. My questions were posted I believe both before page 10. Tony said he may have skipped some, which is totally understandable with such a high response so I did try asking the 1st one again I think on page 13. I would go through & read what Tony had replied to every few days & I noticed that Tony was answereing the same exact question 2 or even 3 times. So I thought gee maybe he, Tony, accidentally skipped my question or thought he already answered them. So I really didn't think that I would be totally out of line by re-posting & letting Tony know that it was a re-post so he didn't have to answer the same questions again.

Cricket09 & Tony I copied the 2nd question I had originally wrote on Oct 6 & the one that I had re-asked both around page 10 & before i think, showing the dates from when I asked my 2nd question & from the dated I re-asked my 1st one. So they both showed on page 17 & 18 where you could read it Cricket09 & Tony that I wasn't being rude sitting in front of my computer thinking that I'm the only person Tony should answer & he should do it in less than a minute.

I really thought that waiting several pages of other peoes questions being answered & waiting more than a week but seeing that my questions were not answered or even a note from Tony saying he didn't want to answere my questions which would have certainly been with in Tonys rights to say, that I could re-post my questions thinking he had missed them. Especially like I said when I saw that Tony was answering some of the same questions 2 & 3 times.

So Cricket09 & Tony what is the proper way each of you feel I should have handled this? How long should I wait when seeing that other questions asked much later than yours are being answered what should I have done differently. I've only asked a few questions in the community area so please Cricket09 tell me what the rules of this site are for how long I should wait. Just on the very unlikely chance that I get called to the front of the class & get talked down by someone who didn't even have all the facts, some that were even posted on the page that you used to put me down.
    So please tell me Cricket09 & Tony not that after this do I ever think I will want to use this part of the site since im a very nice person who tries very hard not to bother people & never put people down, especially if I don't know them & they didn't do what I was accusing them of doing.

Wow. Just, wow. Consider another hobby?
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later-this is awesome! Thanks Tony!
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • rdcory
    rdcory Posts: 7
    Options
    I was wondering if you could suggest low cal foods to increase calcium and iron as I am always on the lower end with my results. Thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Well this guy didn't last long.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • xjocelynx87
    Options
    I believe the general recommendation is 0.8-1 g per KILOGRAM of body weight.

Sorry to correct, but I'm a dietetic intern....
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • smcolton
    Options
    Bump
  • 4plus2
    4plus2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do have a question and I am hoping you can help. I had gastric bypass in 09. Lost 120 pounds. Over time 20 pounds has crept back. I have now lost 9 of them. I am 5'7". female. 53. I run 3 miles 4x week. Take an hour kettlebell class 3xweek. Do hot yoga 2x week. I work a mostly desk job. I cannot possibly eat my TDEE-500 calories. In fact, I am most comfortable around 1000 calories net. Is that an ok range for me or is it too low? I do make certain to always get my protein in and half my body weight in water. thank you!
  • MileHighTexan
    MileHighTexan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump...there are days of reading here! TY for giving us your time.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump - can't finish tonight - must get some sleep
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CandiSki
    CandiSki Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :smile:
  • nekomeishi
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    I'm 49 yo, 165 lb female having the common frustration of not losing despite logging calories and maintaining my MFP recommended caloric intake. Thanks for the information - I'm going to stop eating back my exercise calories in the hope that my worrying about the whole "starvation mode" thing is what has been holding my weight steady.

My question is about fitbit tracking caloric expenditure. Mine is in the mail so I haven't started using it yet, but I think it uses changes in heart rate to estimate caloric expenditure - is that correct? I have always had a very high heart rate when exercising, although I've not been formally diagnosed with exercise induced tachycardia. For example, when I was doing marathon training years ago, going by the talk test I was at a good 60% MHR level, but according to the HRM I was at 180-185. Now I am trying to keep my MHR to below 170. I halve the number of calories my HRM says I burn, because I think the HRM thinks I amd exercising at 90% intensity all the time.

My question is, how accurate is the fitbit going to be if heart rate is its main measurement? Should I continue to adjust readings to take a false intensity into account?

Thanks!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    HI,

I would like to know your thoughts on processed foods consumption and weight loss,

so basically all the foods that are not grown from the ground ,

would you agree that these processed foods cause insulin levels to elevate and stop us from losing weight as effectively ?

thanks