Black Team- A Team of Champions!

Options

Replies

• familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Good Mornig, my black teamers. I hope everyone had a great fathers day..I did alright did get teary eyed a few times, but oher then that I would say I was golden..So didnt stay on the wagon for dinner, kids wanted cici's as I mentioned earlier, and frankly I was to tired to cook for me or even care for that matter. I am fixin to hit up the ole gym this morning and then this afternoon, gonna try to off set the pizza!!

I am tired tired tired...My husband bought bejeweled for me for the playstation 3, last night and I kept saying one more time, one more time, one more time..Well about 9 pm I finallygave it up..I know ya'll are saying 9 o clock I am still trucking away at that time...Oh not this ole gal,I get up way to early to be trucking around until the wee hours of the morning..330 am, come mighty might mighty early. Unless we have a 730 ballgame, that is the only reason I will stay up late..Because I dont miss ballgames!!

Working today 8-1 then off tomorrow and Wednesday, I need to get into the office and do some work!! Well hope everyone has a good day!! I will!!
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,757 Member
    Options
    Morning gang! Home alone with only 2 of the kids, my DH's two who are total lumps on logs. I won't see them roll outta bed unitl who knows when and although it drives me bonkers, I'm not in the fighing mood. I'm doing my own thing this week, it will almost be like bein here alone. I'm not even sure I'm cooking for them, they are big enough to fend for them selves. Nice caring step mother attitude there huh?

Really though, they don't care and I'm not putting forth the effort if it doesn't mater to them. All my efforts are going into me working out, me taking care of me, me relaxing, me eating well, me. It's rare that I can focus on me entirely, the next 2 weeks I can, so I'm gonna!

Off to get a fasted run in this morning, then the gym, then....who knows! I wish we had a decent sporting goods store around here. We do not. I think I want to start using the heavy bag and boxing for some cardio. I want pink gloves......
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,063 Member
    Options
    Hello all (too late today to say morning :laugh: )

Jeannie - please look after yourself, and sometimes these things are meant to happen. Love n hugs from over the pond

Marla - glad you had a great time with your friend and that your run was good

Tamara - sometimes eating something different can be good for you. Glad that you had an alright day yesterday

Lori - your boot camp sounded amazing

Everyone else, hope that you had a good weekend.

Have been pretty lax about my eating with hubby being home etc, so will be readjusting my ticker to reflect this and today is a new day and a new start for me. I brought a pair of UK size 10 jeans on thursday and I managed to do them up - just :laugh: , so I am aiming to be able to wear them comfortably. Any AB exercises recommendations would be lovely - please???

Will check back later, t xx
  • familygirl37167
    Options
    Dont know whats wrong with me today, just having a grumpy day..Just wanna cry...let it all out!!! Dont know, mad at myself for eating pizza..I know sad sad sad story.,...Guess I am having a pity party for myself...I burned 915 calories at the gym and saying to myself that is not enough, wanna go back this afternoon..My stomach feels bloated..Maybe I am fixin to start, thats usually the onkly time I get emontional and its been a while since I have had one..Mine have never been normal...I dont know my friends hopefully it will pass how can I make money at work if I am pissy????

Hope everyone is better the me this morning..I should be excited that we are all doing good and in good health, be grateful for what I have and not beat myself up for what I have ate..I know its easier said then done..

Ok doing my make up and heading to work!! to weat my oatmeal!!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Dont know whats wrong with me today, just having a grumpy day..Just wanna cry...let it all out!!! Dont know, mad at myself for eating pizza..I know sad sad sad story.,...Guess I am having a pity party for myself...I burned 915 calories at the gym and saying to myself that is not enough, wanna go back this afternoon..My stomach feels bloated..Maybe I am fixin to start, thats usually the onkly time I get emontional and its been a while since I have had one..Mine have never been normal...I dont know my friends hopefully it will pass how can I make money at work if I am pissy????

Hope everyone is better the me this morning..I should be excited that we are all doing good and in good health, be grateful for what I have and not beat myself up for what I have ate..I know its easier said then done..

All right, Tamara-- you forced me into this-- because I love you--

snapoutofit.gif

Woman-- you are allowed to eat pizza. You have lost 137 pounds and have kept it off. You work out like a dog, and then some. An evening of pizza does not a backslider make-- cut yourself some slack, or I'ma come down there and whup you.

You're right-- take your own words, my friend-- be thankful you're doing well, you have a lovely, loving family, good health-- one night of pizza is a blessing. You can still eat that food and not have it own you. That's good news.

I hope your day got better-- you need to just chill, my good woman-- :heart:
  • 72lori
    Options

All right, Tamara-- you forced me into this-- because I love you--

snapoutofit.gif

Woman-- you are allowed to eat pizza. You have lost 137 pounds and have kept it off. You work out like a dog, and then some. An evening of pizza does not a backslider make-- cut yourself some slack, or I'ma come down there and whup you.

You're right-- take your own words, my friend-- be thankful you're doing well, you have a lovely, loving family, good health-- one night of pizza is a blessing. You can still eat that food and not have it own you. That's good news.

I hope your day got better-- you need to just chill, my good woman-- :heart:

Alright, I'm with Marla on this one. You have got to get in a better place mentally with all of this. Remember- this is for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Are you never eating pizza again? One 'free' (not cheat) meal will not kill you. Don't think of it as cheating, think of it as free to do what you want every now and then.

Tamara- if I may ask, what are your goals? You never really say. You work out like a dog, eat badly on occasion and then beat the crap out of yourself as some sort of punishment and work out even harder to make up for it. You are going to kill yourself if you continue on this path.

You are already way under your goal weight that you originally set, right? You got upset over 4/10 of a pound this week. Sillyness women! Pull it together.

I want you to tell us your 'goal range'- where you want to be. Did you hear the range part? Give it at least a 3 pound swing, because weight will swing. It will change based on water you drank, the sodium in the food you ate, the pull of gravity that day (no kidding), how much sleep you got and a million ofther factors. Say it's 140-143...but I think you may be lower than that.... anyway, it is OK when you step on the scale and it is in your range. If you go over your happy range, step it up a notch and get back there and then once again, live and be happy you are in your range.

It is perfectly normal to have a free meal here and there, at your point in the game, you could probably manange 1-2 a week and do fine. I didn't say binge all day, I said free meal, there is a difference.

Also, plan your workouts for the week. Write them down. Do them. That is it. DO NOT go back to the gym because you ONLY burned 915 calories, that is insane. 915 calories is a lot, be happy with it. You wear yourself down with beating your body to death, it's not worth it.

Seriously sweetie. You have a brand new you. You are not the person you used to be. You need to figure out how to live with the brand new you, who likes to eat well and workout within reason and enjoy your life. Constanly fretting over food choices and worrying you didn't work out enough is not living. You want to teach your kids good habits, not have them watch you worry about your body and every bite of food you put in it all the time, especially for your daughter. Daughers are very impressionable and eating disorders are not something to mess with.

We all love you, you are a very upbeat, pleasant, hard working person who we all admire and are proud to call a friend. Cut yourself some slack. You have come far. Now it's time for your brain to realize you got this. Did you hear that too? YOU HAVE GOT THIS!
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    Fairly new to MyFitnessPal and came across your forum team and I must say I was inspired by your first posts. I am hoping I can join your team, (Not sure if guys are aloud... lol. seem to be a minority in here.=) ).
  • 72lori
    Options
    Good morning,
    Fairly new to MyFitnessPal and came across your forum team and I must say I was inspired by your first posts. I am hoping I can join your team, (Not sure if guys are aloud... lol. seem to be a minority in here.=) ).

Sure, join in. We have a few guys but yes, mostly chicks around here. Welcome!
  • vb4evr
    Options
    Good morning,

Thx, Always nice to be surrounded by ladies. =)

Well guess I should start in a bit about myself then hey? I'll be working on my specific goals shortly here but the larger picture is few years ago I blew out my right knee and put on 30 lbs in a month after I had my surgery due to going from playing/coaching volleyball around 5 times a week. I've not really ever lost that weight. Enter to present where I've torn my ACL in my left knee playing none other then volleyball and am currently waiting for surgery. I've given up the sport so am currently readjusting my exercise needs which is difficult to say the least. My ultimate goal is to get down to around the 210 lb range and to get more fit again especially with my first child on the way in August. This will require a combination of eating better, and exercising more and of course retraining myself to get back into the groove but know I can do it.

Ok done babbling, and will have some more specific goals to follow.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Well guess I should start in a bit about myself then hey? I'll be working on my specific goals shortly here but the larger picture is few years ago I blew out my right knee and put on 30 lbs in a month after I had my surgery due to going from playing/coaching volleyball around 5 times a week. I've not really ever lost that weight. Enter to present where I've torn my ACL in my left knee playing none other then volleyball and am currently waiting for surgery. I've given up the sport so am currently readjusting my exercise needs which is difficult to say the least. My ultimate goal is to get down to around the 210 lb range and to get more fit again especially with my first child on the way in August. This will require a combination of eating better, and exercising more and of course retraining myself to get back into the groove but know I can do it.

Welcome, My name is Jeannie. Babbling is allowed any time here.............but Marla may have first dibs :laugh:

Tridad started this team and we have built up some great friendships. He lost 130 pounds or so (check out his page) and went from taking up the entire back porch swing to doing a Triathelon and running a 10k (I think) with a few of the biggest losers

My point is there is nothing but encouragement from all the stories. Sheesh I dont want to leave anyone out.........so I better not pick and chose........but these peeps have become runners and movers and shakers.

Good luck............oh wait, luck has nothing to do with it............Good planning to you!!

Any questions..........we are all happy to help out!!

:heart: Jeannie
  • 72lori
    Options
    Good morning,

Just one thing you forgot to tell us... your name! But welcome and thanks for sharing. Andrew and Beth- both black team members have a baby on the way too, we'll have lots of babies to talk about!

My husband played volleyball for the Air Force for a lot of years and his body took quite the beating from it too. Knee surgeries, shoulder surgery. His knees still aren't right and I guess never will be again. You guys and your volleyball- you play hard! My husband found biking was his best exercise choice in dealing with the knee problems.

Can't wait to hear your specific goals!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Oooh-- new meat! Hi! Welcome-- another hard core newbie-- love it! Congrats on your new baby. Don't forget, Lori, Lori from Pa is due in two weeks.

We'll have lots of new Blackettes crawling around.

I'm Marla-- aforementioned resident babbler. ( :grumble: Jeannie-- :wink: ) Mother of 9-- battling the plateau and hormonal belly fluff from hell, but hanging in-- goal is 50 pounds, but I think I'll be about three weeks in the grave before I reach it. :noway:

Seriously-- took control of my eating in 2008, and have lost, well, what you see below-- I have psoriatic arthritis-- yukky pain in my feet, but am training for a half marathon. These lovely people here inspire me to push beyond the "I can't"-- really awesome, lovely people here.

we're international, too-- you'll meet Tanya, from across the pond.

Please jump in-- you'll see we're gabby and kooky, but really very hard core-- totally kick butt and take names.

And yeah, your name would help, so we know whose butt we're kicking when you start slackin'-- ha--
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I have to change my goals. Seems running is out for me. I have arthritis in my lower back and the pounding of the pavement is just killing me. I can still do the walking but no more running. Let me think over my goals again and I will get back to you all. :frown:
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,063 Member
    Options
    Hello all and our newest member,

Checking back. Hubby has flown out of the UK and should land in Hong Kong in 11 hours, minimum of 4 weeks away but could be looking at 4 months :frown: .

I am trying to adjust my workout routine, so that its not the same each day. I'm not going to include the walking as this is (as far as I'm concerned a little extra). Tonight I have just done 20 mins elliptical, 10 mins bike and a 10 min ab routine, I thought I'd alternate this with 20 min elliptical and 20 min bike and some leg weights - any thoughts??
  • vb4evr
    Options
    Just one thing you forgot to tell us... your name! But welcome and thanks for sharing. Andrew and Beth- both black team members have a baby on the way too, we'll have lots of babies to talk about!

My husband played volleyball for the Air Force for a lot of years and his body took quite the beating from it too. Knee surgeries, shoulder surgery. His knees still aren't right and I guess never will be again. You guys and your volleyball- you play hard! My husband found biking was his best exercise choice in dealing with the knee problems.

Can't wait to hear your specific goals!

Name is Jason.
    Yea, I played in university and then after that competitive in a league we have in the city. It is definitely hard on the knees for sure (And shoulder as you mentioned). As i've mentioned I'm done with volleyball (although may dust off the shoes in 2013 for the world's masters in Italy, will have to wait and see) I do have my bike hooked up to a indoor resistance that I have just started to be able to do around 25 minutes before my knee gets sore. Aside from that I rollerblade I'd say about 6k (have to take my 2 dogs one at a time so do a loop once for each of them)
    Oooh-- new meat! Hi! Welcome-- another hard core newbie-- love it! Congrats on your new baby. Don't forget, Lori, Lori from Pa is due in two weeks.

We'll have lots of new Blackettes crawling around.

I'm Marla-- aforementioned resident babbler. ( grumble Jeannie-- wink ) Mother of 9-- battling the plateau and hormonal belly fluff from hell, but hanging in-- goal is 50 pounds, but I think I'll be about three weeks in the grave before I reach it. noway

Seriously-- took control of my eating in 2008, and have lost, well, what you see below-- I have psoriatic arthritis-- yukky pain in my feet, but am training for a half marathon. These lovely people here inspire me to push beyond the "I can't"-- really awesome, lovely people here.

we're international, too-- you'll meet Tanya, from across the pond.

Please jump in-- you'll see we're gabby and kooky, but really very hard core-- totally kick butt and take names.

And yeah, your name would help, so we know whose butt we're kicking when you start slackin'-- ha--
    Welcome, My name is Jeannie. Babbling is allowed any time here.............but Marla may have first dibs laugh

Tridad started this team and we have built up some great friendships. He lost 130 pounds or so (check out his page) and went from taking up the entire back porch swing to doing a Triathelon and running a 10k (I think) with a few of the biggest losers

My point is there is nothing but encouragement from all the stories. Sheesh I dont want to leave anyone out.........so I better not pick and chose........but these peeps have become runners and movers and shakers.

Good luck............oh wait, luck has nothing to do with it............Good planning to you!!

Any questions..........we are all happy to help out!!

heart Jeannie

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
  • 72lori
    Options
    Hello all and our newest member,

Checking back. Hubby has flown out of the UK and should land in Hong Kong in 11 hours, minimum of 4 weeks away but could be looking at 4 months :frown: .

I am trying to adjust my workout routine, so that its not the same each day. I'm not going to include the walking as this is (as far as I'm concerned a little extra). Tonight I have just done 20 mins elliptical, 10 mins bike and a 10 min ab routine, I thought I'd alternate this with 20 min elliptical and 20 min bike and some leg weights - any thoughts??

Tanya- I think mixing up your workout is wonderful! Our bodies adapt very quickly to what we are doing. Keep throwing new challenges at it!
  • 72lori
    Options
    Alright, I’ve been promising to share this info with you guys for a while. I have searched for a good article online and can’t find one, so here goes, I will summarize and I’m warning you now- it’s gonna be long and I won't be offended if you skip it!

You all know I like the Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle book I bought. I like it for many reasons. #1- I like Tom’s theories, they aren’t off the wall, they aren’t quick fixes, and they are real, hard work stuff. He even says at one point if you’re looking for quick and easy, look elsewhere. (Well, duh….There is NO quick and easy, we all know that…..otherwise we wouldn’t have been overweight for years and years!)

I was never a fan of fad diets, I have never been one willing to cut out major food groups. So therefore, I really like what he has to say and how he says it. When I read it, it makes so much sense to me. So here goes………..

There are plenty of stories of obese people eating very little, yet still being overweight. Think of people who are prisoners of war and survive on very little food. If the 3500 calorie rule= a pound of loss always applied, they would shrivel up to nothing, but they don’t.

Our bodies have a way of adapting. It’s something that developed years and years ago in humans. It was survival. When we had to hunt and gather food, there were times of shortage, bodies learned to adapt to those times. Your body recognizes the food shortage and decreases energy expenditure to protect you. It all leads to the starvation response we all hear about. The starvation response evolved to ensure we survived!

When you decrease calories your metabolism slows down. Eat less, body burns less, eat more, body burns more. Your metabolic rate decreases by 20-30% on restricted calorie diets and therefore after long times of cutting calories you can eat very little and not lose weight, it is also why the last 10 pounds is so hard. Not to mention your body is not sure when it will get more food, so it produces less fat burning enzymes and more fat storing enzymes, so it will be easier to store fat in the future. (Grrrreat, huh?)

Here’s another problem, you eat less, you slow down your metabolism, then you get sick of restricting your calories so much and you eat more… well, you’ve now slowed down your metabolism, so the food you eat is gained right back and then some, thanks to your slower metabolism. It’s the yo-yo dieting we’ve all done. Each time you severely restrict calories, your metabolism becomes less and less efficient and you can get fatter and fatter while eating less. (Makes you feel great about all your yo-yo diets of the past? HUH?)

(Ok, now the good news, ways to lose fat without screwing up your body!)

First, it’s not a diet. It’s a lifestyle change. ( I think we all know that part)

Second, build and maintain as much muscle as possible. Muscle burns fat. (Yippee!)

Third, use a small calorie deficit. Figure out your recommended calories for maintenance level and cut that by 15-20%.

Forth, use exercise to burn the fat rather than trying to starve it.

Fifth, eat frequently and never skip meals, eat every three hours, keep your body burning fuel all day long to boost your metabolism

Sixth, don’t stay in a negative calorie balance for too long, when you hit a plateau and you are already eating low calories, it’s impossible to cut them much further. Eat more for a few days or a few weeks, get your metabolism burning again, let your body know its not starving. Zig-zagging calories or calorie cycling can help with this.
  • 72lori
    Options
    .....and they call Marla the blabber... here's my two cents on the above......

Ok, gang, there you have it, my summary of a chapter that makes perfect sense to me. Honestly, every time I read it I think of my mother, who truly eats very little, has been yo-yo dieting her whole life and probably as a result has the slowest metabolism ever! She’s not hugely overweight, but losing weight is so hard for her because she already eats so little, how can you restrict much more when you already don’t eat much?

Our bodies are complex. Our bodies don’t hate us; they are trying to hang onto those extra 10 pounds for a reason, to protect us! Just because we now have grocery stores and food readily available to us, doesn’t make something that has evolved over hundreds of years change.

I like this website (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) to figure out caloric needs. There is also a place to click on caloric cycling or zig zagging and it will tell you how many calories to eat for a 7 day period.

You all know I eat. When I first started losing weight, I did the 1200 calorie thing, not anymore. I eat around 1800 most days, some days a little less, some days more and when I’m content with my weight and body fat, I will eat even more. My food journal has been open and I’ve actually been filling it for the past couple of weeks-minus maybe a few dinners that I’ve forgotten to log.

You also all know I have been stumbling around with losing the last 10 for the past year. I’ve been thinking a lot about that the past few weeks and while I had times I hit it hard, I can’t honestly say I stuck with it long enough to see the results I wanted. I had too many times I ate the desserts or went out and ate what I wanted for dinner and while that is all fine and dandy, it wasn’t getting ME where I wanted to go.

Who knows, maybe I needed that year of bouncing around to re-regulate my metabolism. Maybe I needed that year for a break from all of it. I don’t necessarily have the answers, what I do know is I did a lot of complaining about not getting where I wanted to be. Maybe, just maybe if I had put as much effort into my exercise plan and my eating as I did into whining about ‘my last 10’ that I would have gotten where I wanted to go. Also, in being honest with myself, those few time I briefly hit the 149’s for a day or two, I swear I sabotaged myself and decided I should get a treat for doing so well and then the treat turned into another one, until the 140’s where only a faint memory that didn’t last long.

Regardless…. I have my whole life ahead of me to figure this out. I was fine being fat for 10 years, what’s one year of not quite being there gonna hurt? It’s not a race, there is only a destination in sight, I’ll get there when I get there.

What I do know. I have hit this hard again, hit it with a vengeance I haven’t felt since I started this journey almost 2 years ago. 4 weeks ago the scale said 158… almost back to the 160’s which scared the bajeebers outta me, because 10 pounds here and 10 pounds there quickly adds back up to 200 pounds. Today for the first time I saw 148. I almost danced a little ditty on the scale.

So I guess my advice to all of my friends is this, when you are ready to tackle it, when you are ready to hit it full force, it WILL happen. The mental part is a huge piece of the game, when you get your head wrapped around where you want to go, it will all start to fall into place.
  • 72lori
    Options
    Me again... no rambling... just the cool part......

I have a book that stores all my old school stuff and report cards. The last weight I entered was in 10th grade, I was 16.
    148.jpg

How flipping cool is that?
  • familygirl37167
    Options
    Thanks Lori and Marla...I really needed that....I didnt go back to the gym this afternoon..figured 915 calories burned this morning was enough..Never really got into a better mood, just not as grumpy..My trainer came into work and told me I will probably lose this week due to eating more..

Ok Lori- My goals are not to be above 146..I was 141 this past friday..Is that ok??? I want to tone tone tone, But I still see the fat person alot because I have hanging skin..I have had 2 c sections, so it will always been hard to tone that...I plan on running ever sat morning and working out every other day of the week except sunday..sunday is the day of the week I work the hardest at cracker barrel..

Ok fixin to make my turkey tacos!!!

Thanks a bunch ya'll I love you guys so much!!!

And welcome aboard new member, we are all full of love and amazement here!!