Not understanding why i'm not losing weight.

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well i'm 5'5 204 lbs. i'm not sure what my BF% is my scale says it but it's in my roommates bathroom and my activity level before exercise is light

How much do you work out and how active are you in your daily life? (e.g. desk job, kids. etc)

I usually work out for an hour doing zumba or elliptical sometimes walks.. but i don't work I nanny for a 2 year old and clean house everyday

Do you prefer to eat to a static number or do you like to eat more on workout days? Either way works, its just preference as to which way you do it.

I prefer to eat to a static number it's easier to keep track of

I would suggest that you eat to a calorie target of 1,800 calories (no eating exercise calories back) - when you have upped your calories slowly to that level, sit there for 4 weeks and assess. Tweak up or down depending on your results.

Alright.. so I should slowly make my way up to 1,800 cals a day by going up 100-150 cals a week

You got it.
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this. If I eat rubbish but stay within my limits I don't lose weight. I have to eat proper food to lose. Everyone is different and I know it shouldn't make a difference (a calorie is a calorie etc.) but it doesn't seem to work that way for me
    No one is above the laws of thermodynamics. You and her must be extra terrestrials.

Daily weighers.

I was under my goal today but will weigh 1-2 pounds more tomorrow. Chipotle, 4 beers and lack of sleep will do that. But I know it'll adjust in a day or 2 and I'll have a day when I drop 1-2 pounds.
  • alyssagilbert09
    alyssagilbert09 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well i'm 5'5 204 lbs. i'm not sure what my BF% is my scale says it but it's in my roommates bathroom and my activity level before exercise is light

How much do you work out and how active are you in your daily life? (e.g. desk job, kids. etc)

I usually work out for an hour doing zumba or elliptical sometimes walks.. but i don't work I nanny for a 2 year old and clean house everyday

Do you prefer to eat to a static number or do you like to eat more on workout days? Either way works, its just preference as to which way you do it.

I prefer to eat to a static number it's easier to keep track of

I would suggest that you eat to a calorie target of 1,800 calories (no eating exercise calories back) - when you have upped your calories slowly to that level, sit there for 4 weeks and assess. Tweak up or down depending on your results.

Alright.. so I should slowly make my way up to 1,800 cals a day by going up 100-150 cals a week

You got it.

Awesome!! I will definitely do this starting tomorrow. Thanks
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    200 cals of bacon, ham,eggs, ice cream, pop tarts are still 200 calories to the body.

I've been doing that exact routine like she did and I didn't lose anything. As soon as I got to eating good foods. I've nearly lost 5 kilos in a month. Explain that to me !!!
    [/quote]

It's because Not all calories are absorbed by the body equally...

Also, I really don't know if you are reporting correctly. Are you measuring foods out? You could be off by over 500 calories a day if you don't measure. I also looked at one day on your diary - It says that *You've earned 2477 extra calories from exercise today!!!!

For me that would be 7.5 hours of weight lifting, over 9 hours of walking... Considering I am bigger than you, I'd burn more calories than you doing those activities. It could be what others have said, but if you are over tracking exercise & under tracking calories, then the info you are collecting from tracking won't help you at all.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have been getting some pretty good results. 1/2 to 1 pound per week is a good sustainable healthy weight loss. Good Job!
  • alyssagilbert09
    alyssagilbert09 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have been getting some pretty good results. 1/2 to 1 pound per week is a good sustainable healthy weight loss. Good Job!

Thank you i've been trying real hard, and congrats on your weights lose! That's amazing!
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I have no idea how anyone can manage 500-600 a day, the only time I was that low was when I had food poisoning :P
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat your expected calories but healthy calories.. cut back on sugar/fat and carbs. Those all cause you to gain weight. Not lose it. Fill up on your calories with nutritional food, veggies and fruits, protein, limited carbs. Stay away from juice, soda, etc all bad for you when it comes to losing weight. Continue your cardio workout and don't skip breakfast. Most important meal of the day starts your metabolism for the day. Workout at least 2 hours after a meal or early in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach if you can handle. Best time to lose the most amt of weight/calories

I know this is your first post but there are a lot of myths here. I don't want you to spend your time here thinking that all this is necessary for weight loss. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You can eat carbs, sugar, fat, juice, whatever. All that matters is that you come in at your calorie goal (plus or minus 100). Meal timing does not affect metabolism. If you don't want to eat breakfast then don't eat it. Here, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Edited to remove redundancy
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    http://exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

Lets play a game,
    invent a person for whom 600 calories is a plausibly good intake for 'maintenance'...

Here is mine :
    Female,
    80Years old,
    3feet tall,
    weighs 55pounds.
    doesnt nothing but sleep 24hours (coma?)

But I only got to 687Kcal, can anyone do better?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've wondered if that was the problem.. I just find it hard to eat that many calories daily.. :/

If it's "hard" to eat a healthy number of calories, my best guess is that you are not getting enough fats in your diet. Without even looking at your diary, it's pretty obvious that someone who is overweight has figured out how to eat *too many* calories, so eating the right number *shouldn't* be hard at all. I think maybe you are being too picky about the foods that you eat. A bit of peanut butter or an avacado or a handful of nuts will add extra calories without adding much volume. :flowerforyou:
  • loriband
    loriband Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The amount of both bad and good advice on this page is worrying, and then encouraging.

"pasta will make you fat!" etc makes me want to bang my head on the mthafckn desk!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    500 ? R u retarted ? It's 600!! Get off my page

The mere fact that you feel 600 is worth defending over the 500 shows that you are, indeed, ill in some manner. Also Fitness Social is a pretty decent dude. And I would like very much for him to remain shirtless. :)

OP - I know upping calories is scary, but I'm glad you've decided to! I was at 1200 for a while and eventually upped it to 1600. While I later dropped it back to 1400, that month and a half spent at a higher count was invaluable. You've got to become comfortable with tweaking your program. Eventually you'll need to anyways, so trying something new (and giving it enough time to *kitten* its effectiveness) is important.

Good luck!
  • maryj179
    maryj179 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    he is right u can eat what u want it is how u burn the calories that u are eating but u have to eat to keep up with the burn think about ball players they consume massive amounts of food and are extremely fit its because they are consently burning so they have to eat or they would starve and gain weight
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and information.. This is so much harder than I thought it was going to be. I'm trying to get healthy but just can't seem to get it right. I'm gonna do more research and get this calorie intake thing under control.
    Actually, it's much easier than you've been making it. Follow the advice to go to fat2fit radio and see how many calories you burn.
    Or tell MFP how active you really are.
    Eat
    food

It's not hard to get enough calories, you've done it before, right? You're here, right?

You can eat whatever you want. But in the long run, fueling your body with healthy foods is better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

NOT light.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    No actually your not. Pretty sure someone made a similar comment to mine about what she eats. I'm eating the right calories obviously because I'm in university and feel great ! Your jus a net hero looking for attention.

600 calories is NOT enough. You will soon crash and burn....your brain needs around 20-25% of the calories you intake to keep functioning properly. If you eat too little calories for a prolonged length of time you WILL become ill. No two ways about it. I at one time was netting about 600 with the amount of exercise I was doing. That 'feeling great' did not last long and I just felt tired and grouchy all the time.

Are you implying that you know what you're doing because you're in university?
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Noo !! All wrong. You can lose weight easily your just eating the wrong calories !! Lasagna and pastas aren't going to help

Types of food you should be putting in your diet
    - chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    - plain yoghurt and maybe a bit of milk
    -oats for the morning !!

Stuff like that. Everything like ham and bacon are not good foods to put in a diet and u will be putting on weight rather than losing

eminem-gif-3.gif
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    15 pounds is really good... nice and steady wins the race.
    In the other hand, if you dont have a net of 1200 at least you are not going to lose any weight. I suggest you have your net of your bmi
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I need some help. I've been dieting for a few months now and am only down 15 lbs. Which i'm excited about but i feel like i'm eating so well and working out daily I should be seeing some more results. Please look through my diary and tell me what i'm doing wrong. I'm so confused. I do usually workout around 9 pm i'm not sure if that has an effect on anything.
    Thank you so much!

15 pounds for 3 months is actually fairly decent.