Yes, you can. (Quick Start Guide to fat loss)

Options

Replies

• cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    One quick question...I use a HRM when I exercise. Should I adjust the calories burned by some percent (I have heard 15-20%) to account for normal BMR calories burned?
    Anyone??
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
    I think I broke my body. haha. If I eat 2k calories or more a day while working out 6 day a week, sometimes double workouts a day while burning around 1000 -1300 HRM calories a day I either don't lose weight or I lose very little. These last few weeks I have been burning a little less because I was pretty sick though.
    A while ago I did eat more calories BUT I had to exercise more and that seemed to work well for me. The thing is, I work out so much now. I feel its just creating more of an issue rather than figuring out a balance.

Side note: I did just find out I have a gluten allergy so I think that's keeping the weight on. I have done a ton of research on it and just as much as people lose weight because of ceIiac they can also gain it too or have a hard time losing because of it. I tend to lose weight fairly easy then Ill eat something I am not suppose to and the weight comes on 2-3 fold. Maybe that's my issue too...I have lots to think about.

It is possible not to eat enough. If you are working that hard I would take a step back and calculate from the start. What is your daily TDEE including all of the exercise you do. Then how much exactly are you eating on those days?

Allergies can have an impact as well. Im far from an expert but believe that allergies can cause stress to the body which reacts by releasing cortisol (hormone) and that impacts fat loss.

Sorry it took so long, its been a crazy few days!
    My TDEE is 2963 and honesly the thought of eating that scares the crap out of me. Last time I checked my BMR was 1718 and that's what I'm using for my diary...haha. Most of the time I eat like 1700-2100 because I have such a big deficit anyhow

If you want, DM me your age, height & weight and Ill throw some figures together for you.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    One point you may want to mention for all the women out there....because it can really mess with our psyche.....certain "times of the month" can really make things go out of whack. A sudden 5 lb "gain" is quite common. It can freak a girl out but they should know its temporary. Just sayin' :smile:

Worth knowing, not an area I know much (anything!) about.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    Thank you sooo much! I refigured my cals based on this information and calculated that I was eating around 1500-2000 calories too much per week. I have posted that my weight hasn't changed much for about 2 months and most were saying that I'm probably underestimating my food intake. I accurately weigh and measure so I knew that wasn't it....now I know why!! Thanks again! I'm excited to see what happens over the next month!

Good stuff, let me know how you get on!
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    One quick question...I use a HRM when I exercise. Should I adjust the calories burned by some percent (I have heard 15-20%) to account for normal BMR calories burned?

What I would do (I actually have a HRM coming myself in a day or two so Ill put this in to practice myself and know more), but I'd have my rested TDEE (mine is 2200 cals), and then I would take off 20% (thats what I do anyway) and then add on the HRM burned cals.

For example,
    TDEE = 2200
    Less 20% = 1760 (I round up to 1800)
    Assume HRM Cals = 600
    I therefore eat 2400 cals that day.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    I should really point out for clarity, using that example my actual TDEE is 2800. Thats because TDEE is TOTAL daily energy expenditure. So if my rested is 2200 and I burn 600 more then the total is 2800. I can take 20% off that which would be 2240 and around the 500 cals per day deficit for 1lb per week.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! I love this!
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    Added a new post to the blog

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DarrelBirkett/view/post-contents-503047

No 13 - Eating under your BMR / Eating your exercise cals.
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this - you did a great job.
  • blankcanvas
    blankcanvas Posts: 177
    Options
    Bump!
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info-Bump to read later.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • ajcrain
    ajcrain Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    :heart:
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump...need to study this later!
  • brendabryden
    brendabryden Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Age = 55
    Weight = 126
    Height = 5'4"
    Burn about 300 calories per day exercising

I started at 130 lbs with 10 lbs to lose.

Currently, I am eating 1,550 calories per day - not eating back exercise calories.

Are my calories set correctly? Thank you.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    I calc your rested TDEE to be 1487. If you then add on your 300 exercise this gives your daily TDEE as 1787.

I reasonable safe fat loss is this less 20% or people also target around 500 off per day to give a 1lb per week fat loss (3500 cals per week is 1lb).

You could do this :

On days you burn 300 cals exercise eat 1287 cals to aim for a 1lb fat loss per week. (based on -500 deficit per day)
    Or for a slower fat loss but perhaps more manageable aim for 1430 per day (based on TDEE -20%)

On days you dont exercise you could eat 1487 (approx) to stay still or under but not below 1200 (recommended minimum for a female).

Hope that helps!
  • pelican37
    pelican37 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks Darrel! This really helped!