Not understanding why i'm not losing weight.

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, just curious, how do you know that doing zumba is burning 1480 calories per hour? I saw this in your exercise diary. That sounds like it might be off. And if you're eating back cals you didn't really burn that could sabotage your weight loss obviously.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've wondered if that was the problem.. I just find it hard to eat that many calories daily.. :/

LOTS OF HIGH CALORIE GOOD FOODS! NUTS, CHEESE, PEANUT BUTTER

ITA.

If any of the Lean Cuisines feature fake cheese, for example, I'd replace that with something that uses real, healthy fat. Avocado, olive oil dressings, etc. Nuts and seeds. Oily fish like salmon or sardines. Toss veggies with slivered almonds. Make grains into pilafs with olive oil, spices, and slivered almonds or toasted pecans....
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Noo !! All wrong. You can lose weight easily your just eating the wrong calories !! Lasagna and pastas aren't going to help

Types of food you should be putting in your diet
    - chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    - plain yoghurt and maybe a bit of milk
    -oats for the morning !!

Stuff like that. Everything like ham and bacon are not good foods to put in a diet and u will be putting on weight rather than losing
    Wrong.

200 cals of bacon, ham,eggs, ice cream, pop tarts are still 200 calories to the body.
    Agreed. And I find with me. A high fat food binge every couple of weeks actually helps me...
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Noo !! All wrong. You can lose weight easily your just eating the wrong calories !! Lasagna and pastas aren't going to help

- chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    -oats for the morning !!

Stuff like that. Everything like ham and bacon are not good foods to put in a diet and u will be putting on weight rather than losing
    Wrong.

200 cals of bacon, ham,eggs, ice cream, pop tarts are still 200 calories to the body.

Here is some research for you, so I'm not just a rude *kitten* correcting people on the internet with anecdotal evidence:

1) " ‘All calories are not created equal’ according to new research that suggests certain diets help to burn more energy than others."
    http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Are-all-calories-equal-for-weight-loss-Not-so-say-researchers

2) "Let's take a pure food example," says Anne-Marie Nocton, MS, MPH, RD. 'If someone were to eat all of her daily caloric requirement as fried onion rings, would the body respond the same way as if all of the calories came from raw spinach? No, because caloric absorption is affected by the composition of the food itself and by the amount of energy it takes the body to process that food. In this example, the body doesn't need to expend many calories to digest and store fat (in the onion rings) because the digestion and storage process isn't very complex. But the spinach contains fiber, and the structure of a fibrous food means that some of the calories will be 'lost' because the body cannot break it all down.' "
    http://www.naturalchampion.net/articles/article/2410291/51175.htm

3) " 'It's not that calories don't matter, but the quality of the calories going in can affect the number of calories going out,' said study author Dr. David Ludwig, at Boston Children's Hospital."
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calorie-calorie-harvard-study-compares-popular-weight-loss/story?id=16654506#.UUxb4hk2LDM

4) This article makes 5 points: The energy cost to metabolize fat, carbs and protein is different, Calorie restriction slows metabolism, Protein reduces appetite, Fiber reduces calorie absorption, and Timing of eating affects calorie processing.
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie.aspx

5) Another study (Pomana College): "Ingestion of the particular PF [processed foods] meal tested in this study decreases postprandial energy expenditure by nearly 50% compared with the isoenergetic WF [whole-food] meal. This reduction in daily energy expenditure has potential implications for diets comprised heavily of PFs and their associations with obesity.... more extensively processed foods have a greater thermodynamic efficiency (and thus a greater metabolic disadvantage) than less processed or whole foods. The present study tests this by comparing the DIT responses of two isoenergetic meals."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897733/

6) If you eat all your calories in high-cal junk food, you won't be able to eat throughout the day when your body needs energy, causing problems with blood sugar, producing more body fat and using lean muscle for energy:
    "http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/can-i-eat-all-my-calories-for-the-day-in-one-meal-and-still-lose-weight-649.html"

(Also, I get that it's easy to make fun of or dismiss someone eating like an anorexic, but you don't have to be so condescending and rude, especially when you may be the one who's "Wrong.")
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options

- chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    -oats for the morning !!

Wrong.

Agreed. And I find with me. A high fat food binge every couple of weeks actually helps me...

Oh, and I wasn't talking about occasional junk-food binges, I was just showing the "king" of MFP that it's not true that we might as well eat ice cream, bacon, and pop tarts every day, and that many studies back that up.
  • helenx55
    helenx55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

- chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    -oats for the morning !!

Huh? Ham and bacon are my snack foods, high protein, low carb foods.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options

- chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    -oats for the morning !!

Wrong.

A-men!! The body doesn't KNOW or CARE what you are eating. A calorie is a calorie to it! Stay within your macros and you should be fine!
  • Bane81
    Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Nutrition in my opinion is the most important thing for getting into shape, and living a healthy lifestyle. Think of it like the foundation of a building/house, and everything gets built on top of it. A big reason why diets do not work in the long run is they are just short term fads, life style changes must be made. People ask me at work when I'm eating if I'm on a diet, and I just politely let them know that it's just my daily meal plan (I just hate the word diet).

Here's something you can try:

Eat 6 times a day, forget the whole 3 square meal thing cause it's flawed and outdated. Focus on getting 6 smaller meals every 2-3 hours. Breakfast IS the most important meal since you're breaking fasting that you did during the night. If you like wheat, best time to eat it is for breakfast and at max lunch time. I try not to eat any wheat carbs after 3pm, instead choosing to get carbs from vegetables and the odd potato. Last meal should be 2 or so hours before bed UNLESS it's just protein. I'll drink Casein Protein about 30 mins before I go to sleep. It's slower digesting, so it helps keep my body fueled a bit while I sleep.

Cardio: If you really want to see more rapid weight loss do cardio first thing in the morning. If you can't do it on an empty stomach, I would suggest a scoop of protein to give your body a little bit of a boost. You'll target the fat cells a lot better on an empty stomach since you don't have to work off excess calories you've eaten if it was later on in the day.

Weight / Resistance Training: Ultimately you'll want to do some type of weight training to maximize results. Think of this equation: More Muscle = Less Fat. Muscle requires a lot more energy to maintain then fat does. The resistance training will help sculpt your body as you slim down. This is why you need to eat more calories and forgot the whole less is more type of mentality. If you don't eat enough, you're body will need to get energy from somewhere so it'll usually start to break down muscle tissue to get it. Not only that, you're metabolic rate actually slows down too so you'll be less effective at burning fat, and more likely to store it. This is because our bodies are still used to thousands of years ago when our ancestors would have to go days without finding food.

I hope you find some of this information useful and good luck on your weight loss.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It's taken me TWICE as long to lose 13 pounds but I'm still plugging away, eating well and lifting weights. Scale is erratic but my body is definitely changing.

I agree with the advice to slowly up your calories to you reach a proper sustainable limit. Good luck to you.
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat breakfast more consistently ... Should help quite a bit.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    oy vey...there is so much bad advice in this thread.

Do what Sara said

/thread
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Do what Sara said

/thread

This. Plus, if that dude puts his shirt back on - I'm rage-quitting for sure.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Do what Sara said

/thread

This. Plus, if that dude puts his shirt back on - I'm rage-quitting for sure.

WORD
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well i'm 5'5 204 lbs. i'm not sure what my BF% is my scale says it but it's in my roommates bathroom and my activity level before exercise is light

How much do you work out and how active are you in your daily life? (e.g. desk job, kids. etc)

I usually work out for an hour doing zumba or elliptical sometimes walks.. but i don't work I nanny for a 2 year old and clean house everyday
    NOT light.

She's logging her exercise separately so she shouldn't count it when she sets her activity level.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    There is a glitch in xbox zumba for workout classes. Use the site posted its way more accurate! I kept getting told I'd burned 80 cals for an hour workout, thats just not right for doing 60 mins!
    Edited for tablet typos, ugh.
  • alyssagilbert09
    alyssagilbert09 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OP, just curious, how do you know that doing zumba is burning 1480 calories per hour? I saw this in your exercise diary. That sounds like it might be off. And if you're eating back cals you didn't really burn that could sabotage your weight loss obviously.

- I use Zumba for Xbox Kinect. It tell you calories burned at the end of your workout.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

- chicken
    -tuna
    -vegetables !!
    -fruit
    -oats for the morning !!

Where did you get your information from? This is OH SO WRONG!!!!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I've been doing that exact routine like she did and I didn't lose anything. As soon as I got to eating good foods. I've nearly lost 5 kilos in a month. Explain that to me !!!

because she isn't eating enough. It has nothing to do with what you eat. Calories are calories.
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As to the issue of what you should be eating to lose weight, I've noticed for myself that as long as I stay away from overly processed foods and fast foods, I can eat pretty much anything I want and still lose weight. Providing I'm getting enough calories, of course. That has been a battle for me as well.

Try putting in more calories earlier in the day, and eating an afternoon snack too. I've been trying to start out with something like grape nuts or shredded wheat or oatmeal. I also got a pack of gobites and like to fit those in in the afternoon for a healthy couple hundred calories.

[and I agree with those saying it has little or nothing to do with what you eat. Healthy calories are obviously more nutritious, but calories are calories in terms of weight loss.]
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    … Everything like ham and bacon are not good foods to put in a diet and u will be putting on weight rather than losing
    The problem with Pro Anorectic Commenters (PACmen, but more often PACwomen) is that they want to lose half their weight in one day and give devastating advice. Going on a starvation diet never works. When you eat less, your metabolism slows down. When you exercise less, your metabolism slows down. Hence, if you want to lose weight, exercise and make up for all the calories you put in. Find out HOW MUCH you should eat (your so-called TDEE - not to be confused with your so-called BMR!!! and if you don't know what they are search for it), not WHAT you should eat. Then, subtract 10% or so and (slow but steady) weight loss is guaranteed, providing you log everything and are honest about what you burn with your exercise and don't give up after two weeks.

Now, time for my eggs and bacon and ham.