Who the hell is really so busy?

Options

Replies

• KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I can kind of understand the stress. I'm dealing with a terminally ill family member and sometimes it's nearly impossible to get yourself out of bed in the morning to work out... but I haven't missed a workout yet! Sometimes life throws you challenges, you just have to man-up and do it. There is no other way.

I agree with this completely. Even those who act as care takers to the terminally ill/ constantly hospitalized still need to take the time to care for themselves. My future mom in law's mother is CONSTANTLY in the hospital but she still makes/takes the time to go with me to the gym or to Zumba at least 4 times a week. There are no excuses.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Do you have kids? A house and yard to maintain? Aging parents who need assistance? Do you take night school courses to keep technically current for your job (or to get a better one)? Do you have any health issues that need monitoring or treatment? Extended family you keep social contact with? Do you do any volunteer work? Have any hobbies or outside interests not related to fitness? Just wondering.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I think I answered them all... Honestly, I must graciously add.

And guess what, I still make my husband a sammich and MAKE TIME FOR THE GYM.

BOOM
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    That too busy thing is so ridiculous. I work over 70 hours a week, attended grad school (MBA) and still managed to work out atleast 6 days a week. It all has to do with priorities. I just never watch TV and honestly didn't miss it. I have finished Grad school but still work 70 or more hours a week. The gym is my time! No one can bother me for at least 2 hours a day. No Phone, No computer!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    MFP just takes up HOURS of my day. Really. I barely have time to eat!
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to priorities.

If exercise is not a priority, then of course there's no time for it!

At the same time, I see my wife wake up with me at 7 every morning, come home at 7 every night and lock herself in the office to work until 10. That is a person who doesn't have time to work out.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's not about having enough time. People use that as an excuse for not making something a priority. That's just how people are.

When I hear " I just don't have time for that." I realize it's not important to them and I don't give it another thought. That's just how people are. We don't all make the same things priorities in our lives. It's not right or wrong...just different.:smile:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If people have enough time to be posting on the internet then they have enough time to exercise.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Do you have kids? A house and yard to maintain? Aging parents who need assistance? Do you take night school courses to keep technically current for your job (or to get a better one)? Do you have any health issues that need monitoring or treatment? Extended family you keep social contact with? Do you do any volunteer work? Have any hobbies or outside interests not related to fitness? Just wondering.
    Yes to all of these and still managed to finish an MBA, work out daily and work 70+ hours a week. I just didn't watch TV, except East Enders which I am totally addicted to. Even managed to read some good books too. (not just text books)
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    "I'm way too busy making up excuses and filling my life with meaningless junk! Don't you know how TIME consuming DVR is?"
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    That too busy thing is so ridiculous. I work over 70 hours a week, attended grad school (MBA) and still managed to work out atleast 6 days a week. It all has to do with priorities.

Yup.

I hit my first 80 hour week earlier this year - pretty sure it was my best gym week of the year so far. Did a spin class or 30DS before work every freakin day that week. I needed it to clear my head from all the work!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Yes to all of those but the parents who need constant assistance. Plus on top of my full time job and schooling, I have a part time job that I wake up for at 3 am. And I still workout 5-6 days a week.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    people say they are too busy because it's not their priorities... i know this wonderful lady who has a family with 4 kids, a full time teacher, and i see her every single day in yoga.. she does at least 2 classes in a row and now that is spring break, she would do 3 or 4! crazy i know. she's just really dedicated to her practise and make time for things she likes! no one is busy for anything! just change your priorities! :)
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you. I get aggravated when people use "I'm too busy" as an excuse. I usually want to look at them and say this - I have 2 children, a full-time job, a husband, I go to school full time, I do volunteer work for 2 different organizations, my Dad is disabled and I help care for him, and I take care of all of my kid's activities too. So, tell me again how you don't have time!
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have kids, a (spotless) house and yard, I work full time, I have two part time jobs, I work out (nearly) every day, parents, continuing education, friends, a volunteering gig, a (very satisfied) husband, and parents (his and mine), I am on two boards for my church AND I still have plently of time to stalk people on MFP.
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree. I dont understand why cant someone find the time in their day to exercise, even if its half an hour every day. I am constantly busy but I am still in the gym 3/4 times a week.

And I have been under major stress at times in the past couple of years and I know its hard to get yourself up and out but once you have done it, you are glad for it - exercise relieves stress, some people dont understand this!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    5X8 hrs a day of dealing with teenagers(which is exercise in it's self some days)

Class on Tues/Thurs for 2 hrs and 40 minutes

Homework which takes up approximately 2-3 hours depending on what I need to do

Social time/errands

Plus there is a little thing called sleep

I still get a good 3-4 days in of working out... it's not always the most balanced routine, but it gets accomplished what I need to get done.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a son in hockey atleast 5 nights a week a daughter in Basketball 4-5 days a week. Let's not forget they both have tournaments almost every weekend. Plus they have religion 1 night a week. I work full-time plus hours plus I am a single mom. I also take care of my elderly dad. I get to the gym no later then 5am to workout 6-7 days a week.

Blah blah blah is what I say.....when people say there to busy or stressed out to workout. I have nothing against someone who doesn't workout, as long as they are not constantly complaining about how out of shape they are.
  • natmckn
    natmckn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do a search on YouTube for "23.5 hours" -- it's a great little short from a doctor who's leading an initiative to get people up and moving. He takes the usual phrase "can you dedicate 30 minutes a day to being active" and spins it on its head, so instead, try asking yourself, or others: "Can you limit your sleeping, sitting on the couch, and sitting at a desk to just 23.5 hours a day?"

Really gives some perspective of what you're giving up vs. what you're gaining.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just don't think it's as important as you do? Maybe their goals and lifestyle are different than yours? Maybe they've prioritized what they want out of life and have decided that exercise is lower on the list and thus they are too busy with higher priority items to get it in all the time? On a fitness site sure you'll find that most people get it in, it's obviously important to them (myself included) but what works for those here is not true for everyone. Live and let live, if they feel they're too busy then so be it, doesn't affect you or me.

Now if they're constantly complaining about it that's a whole nutha ball o' wax right there ....
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I worked two jobs a total of 60 hours a week and found time to workout. Sleep on the other hand... lol