Options
    I HEAR YA!
    i call them LAZY,,, plain and simple!
    LAZY *kitten*!~

F4Vk4h9.gif
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    Some people have the luxury of choice, and some people are struggling to make it through the day. I'm hesitant to judge other people's limited choices or condemn them for circumstances that aren't of their own making. It's all well and good to rail against those who don't conform to your standards but at the end of the day their health is their health and change doesn't come because because the self identified morally superior have declared it so.

That said, I have friends who work 18 hour days. It's just what you do in certain fields.
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Before this current semester, I exercised 4-5 hours a week, often in my garage due to the whole having kids issue.

I knew this semester would be rough so I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'm so stressed trying to get accepted into a certain program at my university I often feel like throwing up. I'm averaging 4-5 hours a sleep a night. If I'm not at work, I'm at school and barely see my kids.

I do try to get as much in on the weekend. I know this is a temporary situation so I'm not going to feel guilty about it.

I don't really care if others have reasons or excuses. It's their body and they can do with it what they choose. I don't like to play the one-up game of I do X, Y, Z and I can STILL do this. I take care of my own business and have compassion or at least don't worry about others.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise. I'm too busy screwing around on the forums :bigsmile:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Do you have kids? A house and yard to maintain? Aging parents who need assistance? Do you take night school courses to keep technically current for your job (or to get a better one)? Do you have any health issues that need monitoring or treatment? Extended family you keep social contact with? Do you do any volunteer work? Have any hobbies or outside interests not related to fitness? Just wondering.

Damn, that's pretty busy. Ok, we have one. ;)
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    When I say "I don't have time" it's because I won't make the time.
    42a55a010394247905da9e5734656149.jpg
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    People suck. Who cares. lol

Wow, my thoughts exactly.

Really what I think happens is that we allow people to gravitate towards excuses rather than actions.
    In other words, everyone has a note to be excused from gym class.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm "too busy" but I don't care. Something has to be slacked a bit to get it in. If I gave 100% to everything I'm involved in I would literally die. But instead I'm a well rounded person who puts a good effort into everything but doesn't take any of it too seriously.

I've learned to multitask things... I get socializing in while working out now. With my mother-in-law and running club. So I don't waste time going out unless I'm going with my husband. Friends get time on breaks or they are my friends in activities.

I go to school full time in upper division accounting classes, work 20+ hours a week to maintain 15 people's schedules, go to church every Sunday and also get my artistic side in with singing in the choir, get my professional networking time in through an honor society every week, volunteer on Saturdays when needed, run in a running club and am actively training for a half-marathon. I also juggle homework, marriage and family. I also have to budget, log food, do laundry, pay bills, grocery shop, and get other errands done.

Oh did I mention I'm also going overseas halfway through finals week?

LOL! Life is too short guys!! Don't let whatever hold you back. You'd be surprised what you can smash into a week if you try.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to finish a Master's thesis in a very technical field at a very rigrous school.

I have a high stress job where my boss was expecting me to work 50-60 hours a week.

I have 3 kids, 2 of which are in school, and the 3rd needs speech therapy twice month. And of course they all need to go to the doctor, the dentist, get hair cuts, etc.

My husband works 12 hours shifts on a rotating schedule so he often works weekends. He also does endurance mountain biking which means his training rides are hours longs.

I also have 2 dogs, one of which has diabetes and needs insulin twice a day.

Also, my sister got married last weekend in CA (I live in CO). I sewed my own bridesmaid dress and half of 2 flower girls dresses, plus planned the whole trip.

I went to the gym this morning. :flowerforyou:
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    I was always too busy. Magically some time seemed to free up when I cut off my cable. Weird how that worked out.

well said
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't care who's busy. Who wants to GET busy? :)
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have three kids, a crazy job and a long commute. It's true, I do have spare time. It's just a matter of trying to be flexible on when you're going to work out because you never know when a toddler meltdown, school band concert or sick kid is going to jump in over your scheduled work out.

Not excuses - just something I have to acknowledge when I'm setting myself up. Be flexible.
  • JennyJo23
    JennyJo23 Posts: 33
    Options
    Here is my busy schedule:
    Monday: Get up at 5:30, gym from 6-7, go home fix my breakfast, shower and get ready for work, 8-5 work, go home and clean a little, cook dinner and eat, go to other job for an hour or two, then hit the gym again and go home and bed
    Tuesday: Get up at 5:30, gym from 6-7, go home fix my breakfast, shower and get ready for work, 8-5 work, go home and clean some more, cook dinner and eat, go play softball for a few hours then home and bed
    Wednesday: Get up at 5:30, gym from 6-7, go home fix my breakfast, shower and get ready for work, 8-5 work, go home and clean, cook dinner and eat, go to other job for an hour or two, then hit the gym and go home and bed
    Thursday: Get up at 5:30, gym from 6-7, go home fix my breakfast, shower and get ready for work, 8-5 work, go home, clean, cook dinner and softball games for a few hours, home and bed
    Friday: Get up at 5:30, gym from 6-7, go home fix breakfast, shower and ger ready for work, 8-5 work, go home and cook dinner and eat, softball out of town for a few hours, come home and bed
    Saturday: Sleep in a little then gym for 2 hours, home to deep clean the house or go to other job with hubby all day (electrician) try to work in some softball practice, shop for the week, lunch, clean, dinner gym for a few hours then bed
    Sunday: Sleep in a little then gym for 2 hours, work with hubby at other job, cook lunch, softball for a few hours out of town, dinner, and go home and bed... Now that's busy for ya..
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's not about time it's about priorities. Saying I don't have enough time sounds better than saying I don't want to make it a priority.

This times a million. I don't have time, I MAKE time. And I have more energy for the rest of my time, so I am able to do more.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I used to live 12 miles from my job, and it would take me an hour and a half to get there (yes, VA traffic really is that bad). So three hours or commuting on top of an 8-hour workday, plus taking care of two dogs and getting a Master's degree, didn't leave me with too much free time. Once I moved closer to work and finished the degree I found myself with a lot of extra time which I dedicated to more worthwhile pursuits than sitting in a car. Commutes really eat up a lot of people's time and are incredibly draining.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I leave my house at 6AM to go to work and I get home at 6:30PM after picking up my son. I then need to prepare dinner, eat, clean up, give a bath, read books and get him to sleep at a reasonable hour. Then I go to sleep too because I need to be up at 4:30 to start getting ready for the next day. My husband works nights so I don't have any help in the evenings. However I will admit 100% that I could use my time in the morning more wisely and work out!! And I find time to squeeze in a walk with the kiddo after dinner. It's all about priorities.

Unrelated, but your dog is so cute and looks a lot like mine!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those who is often too busy (particularly doing the week) to be able to fit much, if anything in. But, I work 45-hours per week & I'm also pursuing my Ph.D. It takes me an hour and a half each way to get to/from campus, this after my workday. So, on a good day, I'm up at 5:30am for work, leave work at 4pm to get to my classes, and get home from classes after 10pm. Sleep is important, too... though I don't get much of it. :)
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have made that statement myself, I work 40 plus, I have kids 2 of them, maintain my house, all without any help, but plain and simple when I think about it, I am just LAZY!!!!!! but all about to change.
  • christimccarty
    Options
    Do you have kids? A house and yard to maintain? Aging parents who need assistance? Do you take night school courses to keep technically current for your job (or to get a better one)? Do you have any health issues that need monitoring or treatment? Extended family you keep social contact with? Do you do any volunteer work? Have any hobbies or outside interests not related to fitness? Just wondering.
    I do! I'm a mother of 2 boys with a Full time job, a side job, going to school, A house (a clean one), family time, kid time, afterschool kid homework, a fiance and close family and friends. I enjoy fun things and I workout almost daily. Its time management and priorities! Once I learned that my workout is what allowed me to DO everything else during my day... thats when it became unquestionable and part of my daily routine.
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    It's not about time it's about priorities. Saying I don't have enough time sounds better than saying I don't want to make it a priority.

This is so true. I had a couple of close to 80 hour weeks in a row where between family commitments and work I was getting about 4 hours of sleep. I told myself I didn't have time to work out, but really if I had only worked 75 hours those weeks and taken an hour for myself I probably would have been more productive in the long run and felt better about myself.

I've promised myself no matter how busy I get, I need to make time for me.