Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Tell me again why eating before bed won't make me fat?

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    All I know is that I lost 90 lbs eating right up til bedtime nearly every night. No, I'm not having a five course meal, but I am snacking adequately, while staying within my calorie goal.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    All I know is that I lost 90 lbs eating right up til bedtime nearly every night. No, I'm not having a five course meal, but I am snacking adequately, while staying within my calorie goal.

And just look how happy you are!!! Could be because you're a NC girl though.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I am no expert, but I do live by Jillian Micheals rules. She says NO food after 9 and no CARBS after 7. Your body will simply turn it into fat. Even sugary food. Her thing is to eat yogurt if you neeed a snack-greek low fat of course. It works! If I am watching Hell's Kitchen and have nothing to eat I get so pissed, so I eat yogurt or carrot/celery with hummus. Then I dont feel deprived. And no booze before bed. She has it down for 2 drinks a WEEK. And beer or a lowfat vodka drink. I suggest bubblegum vodka with club soda. Lowfat, tastes great and a nice mellow buzz. Does that kinda help? lol:smile:

lolno

Not even a little bit.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Bump
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY sorry so late :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY sorry so late :)

Epic first post
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    To the OP if you are still unsure, look up chemical equilibrium and apply it to fat oxidation/storage.

http://library.thinkquest.org/10429/low/equil/equil.htm

At equilibrium, a person would maintain their weight. The oxidation/storage mechanism goes both ways.
    If net storage overtakes net oxidation, you gain fat.
  • sun_ny
    sun_ny Posts: 35
    i eat the majority of my calories at the latter end of the day and i'm still losing weight, so can't be that bad
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Aside from some bio-chemical/medical issues, it really doesn't make much difference when you eat your calories. However, it probably isn't a good idea to eat a heavy meal before retiring because it is likely to contribute to reflux esophagitis (which many obese folks suffer). In addition, there is the problem of insulin spike (following a blood sugar surge from a heavy meal) suppressing human growth hormone (which is mainly secreted in the first couple of hours of sleep). Adequate levels of growth hormone are desirable for weight loss and other health points. Exercise does stimulate the secretion of growth hormone slightly, but it is unlikely to make up for the loss of nighttime secretion due to high caloric intake before bed.

Ghrelin (please, no gremlin pix) is a potent stimulator of growth hormone and ghrelin is high when we are hungry. So going to bed a little hungry is not a bad idea from a bio-chemical standpoint. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is also a potent stimulator of growth hormone--as opposed to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) which suppresses it. Since many, many obese folk have high blood sugar issues anyway, it is unwise for them to eat large meals before bed.

I know there will be people here who will say, "I have lost 114 pounds and I have always eaten nearly all my calories after 7.p.m." While that may be true, their bodies would have probably prospered a bit more by eating lightly in the evening (if at all).

Broscience without logic. Thank you!

There! Fixed it for you. Your welcome! :drinker:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Aside from some bio-chemical/medical issues, it really doesn't make much difference when you eat your calories. However, it probably isn't a good idea to eat a heavy meal before retiring because it is likely to contribute to reflux esophagitis (which many obese folks suffer). In addition, there is the problem of insulin spike (following a blood sugar surge from a heavy meal) suppressing human growth hormone (which is mainly secreted in the first couple of hours of sleep). Adequate levels of growth hormone are desirable for weight loss and other health points. Exercise does stimulate the secretion of growth hormone slightly, but it is unlikely to make up for the loss of nighttime secretion due to high caloric intake before bed.

Ghrelin (please, no gremlin pix) is a potent stimulator of growth hormone and ghrelin is high when we are hungry. So going to bed a little hungry is not a bad idea from a bio-chemical standpoint. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is also a potent stimulator of growth hormone--as opposed to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) which suppresses it. Since many, many obese folk have high blood sugar issues anyway, it is unwise for them to eat large meals before bed.

I know there will be people here who will say, "I have lost 114 pounds and I have always eaten nearly all my calories after 7.p.m." While that may be true, their bodies would have probably prospered a bit more by eating lightly in the evening (if at all).

Thank you!

Fixed it
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I know Bob. He eats Pop Tarts every night before bed. Sometimes with ice cream. :heart:

What is it with the Pop Tart fetish among some of the folk on this website?? Even when I was eating sugar and wheat, I thought they tasted like sweetened cardboard with sweetened plastic frosting. Ugh. :tongue:

Taste does not matter. I do not derive pleasure from food.
  • beachlover317
    I know Bob. He eats Pop Tarts every night before bed. Sometimes with ice cream. :heart:

What is it with the Pop Tart fetish among some of the folk on this website?? Even when I was eating sugar and wheat, I thought they tasted like sweetened cardboard with sweetened plastic frosting. Ugh. :tongue:

:laugh: :noway: Well, thanks. I just closed my diary for the day and now I want to lick sweetened plastic frosting. :cry:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

:brokenheart: :sad:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Personally I am way more concerned with the lack of QUALITY in Bob's choice of food than the quantity or the timing.

If Bob had eaten well during the day, with a diet of lean proteins, fresh fruit and non starchy vegetables, good fats and lots of water, he would not have any room in his stomach or desire to be eating 1200 calories of ice cream. And if he's eating that while watching the Biggest Loser, he might just need to look at his goals and reevaluate his plan.

Our bodies call for Essential Fatty Acids and Essential Amino Acids. There are no such thing as Essential Carbs.

If Bob has an emotional need for ice cream, he should be making his own version with a better focus on quality of calories.

Eating before bed doesn't make you fat. WHAT you eat does.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    I had dinner an hour before bed last night and had a loss this morning :P

Though personally I like to eat dinner earlier than that, I feel uncomfortable sleeping on a full stomach, and I wake up really hungry (body working overtime to digest it all?) and because I don't eat breakfast till about 3-4 hours after waking up (breaking another rule) I can't last that long.
  • beachlover317
    Personally I am way more concerned with the lack of QUALITY in Bob's choice of food than the quantity or the timing.

If Bob had eaten well during the day, with a diet of lean proteins, fresh fruit and non starchy vegetables, good fats and lots of water, he would not have any room in his stomach or desire to be eating 1200 calories of ice cream. And if he's eating that while watching the Biggest Loser, he might just need to look at his goals and reevaluate his plan.

Our bodies call for Essential Fatty Acids and Essential Amino Acids. There are no such thing as Essential Carbs.

If Bob has an emotional need for ice cream, he should be making his own version with a better focus on quality of calories.

Eating before bed doesn't make you fat. WHAT you eat does.

I think Bob is just an emotional mess.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    If Bob is eating Ben and Jerry's while watching The Biggest Loser, Bob is a woman

:laugh:

QFT
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    The one horrifying truth that I take from this thread is that there is something called "bubblegum vodka."

I believe I now understand how the clean eaters feel when they see us rhapsodizing about Pop-Tarts.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

Broscience without logic. Thank you!

There! Fixed it for you. Your welcome! :drinker:

Just exactly what part are you disputing, mamapags?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    The one horrifying truth that I take from this thread is that there is something called "bubblegum vodka."

I believe I now understand how the clean eaters feel when they see us rhapsodizing about Pop-Tarts.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: