Do the people you live with support your healthy eating?

Options

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have absolutely no support either. That's why I like this website. Unlike the "hardcore" people out there, I am not at that point yet where I can simply just say no and not give it another thought. I need some form of support and encouragement from somewhere. And I am not ashamed of it either.

I'm not "hardcore" as you put it, but I can just say no (kind of). I'm sorry you haven't gotten to that point but although I can say no, I still need support and encouragement. Its not fair for you to insinuate that because i can say no, I don't need support. We are all here for help and encouragement.

What has helped me is not telling myself I can't have something, instead I say I don't want it. I haven't given up my favorite foods, I have them in moderation and smaller portions. Some things I have found healthier versions of but I still have the real thing sometimes. Its just easier for me mentally. I didn't get support until I figured out how to manage on my own and then people started to care. Its happens to a lot of people.

i wasn't quoting you at all actually. sorry you felt that way!

It doesn't matter if you quoted me or not. I was just saying how your statement made me feel. No big deal. :-)
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had to make the first steps in my household, I am the mom and maybe that is why... I had to own it for myself and when my daughters saw what I was doing, they joined in... This was actually very encouraging, we could count on each other to get started on our exercise and it was easier to take little pokes about not eating the right foods, because we were all on the same page - It really does make a difference - but I realized taht I had to do it for myself...
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive and is enjoying the healthier meals I've been making. But I also let him pick a meal for us to splurge on every other week or so. Tomorrow he wants pizza so that's what we'll be having. I figure it doesn't seem as much like me forcing my new eating plan on him as much if I don't cut out things I know he loves (and I do, too!).
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    One family member is. He's also my training buddy. I am the primary 'chef' at home, and each day's menu + macros are e-mailed to him the night before.

The other two are not into it as much but menus are not forced upon one another. The only principle we practice: If you do not like what is served at mealtimes, you may fix what you want to eat. No one's feelings get hurt, and no one is allowed to judge.
    I'm just wondering what your support system is like? Does your husband/wife/friends/family members (who you are living with) support and encourage you in eating healthy? And by support I mean like try to join you in eating healthy, encourage you not to have those chips (in a positive way), and do they try to avoid eating those junk foods you ABSOLUTELY love right in front of your face?
  • bongobongobongo
    bongobongobongo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, my boyfriend doesn't actively help... But he doesn't sabotage me either, because although he'll make too much dinner, buy me treats and stuff from the shop etc, I can just give them back to him, and he'll eat any temptation away...

My mum would be supportive, but she doesn't know about this yet... I haven't seen her for nearly 2 months, so I'm hoping she notices a change in me when I see her next week!
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is soo supportive. Im really gratefull. He likes the veggies and actually started working out too. He likes to eat junk though but always makes sure i don't like what he is getting (chocolat, cake.. beef jerky.. caramel popcorn(ew) lol! He will always buy my least favourite and usually eats them when i'm not around. He hides the scale when i ask him and ecourage me to focus on working out and not the number. He gives me pep talks all the time! Love him.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    No but they don't have to eat what I want to eat. It used to be a problem because I never had the same meals etc. but they've got used to it now and actually try and encourage me to eat better when I'm having bad days.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My husband is too supportive. He is very slender but is completely on board with my eating plan. I try to convince him that he can eat what he wants. He can get himself treats. It won't hurt my efforts.

No deal, though.

Makes me feel like an a-hole.

We do a cheat day once a week where we eat fast food and this is entirely for his benefit. I don't particularly want to do it. It's just the only way I can get him to eat the stuff he really enjoys.
  • PandaBandit19
    Options
    My husband is pretty supportive. He doesn't necessarily cheer me on, but he is willing to eat healthy meals that I cook. At least he will try them once and if he doesn't like it I won't cook it for him. I also don't mind if he buys junk food should he not enjoy what I cook. I don't mind him buying me treats, but I would prefer to have him ask me if I want it first.. just as a preemptive measure. As well, I don't limit in the least bit how much he eats. He has a very physically demanding job, he knows how much he needs.
  • Nidda_C
    Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I live with my parents and 3 younger siblings. My dad loves sweet Pakistani food......and my siblings love junk food. I don't expect them to change.......because I am the only one who has weight issues in my family. So I have to check this website and count calories before I start a meal. BUT, my mom will add anything healthy I want onto the shopping list and get it. Also, I don't restrict myself from sugary foods....instead I make sure to see how many calories they are worth and do portion control. For example, my family went grocery shopping yesterday and bought Jumbo Carrot Muffins (each worth 770 calories) so I only ate 1/4 of it today. I have 2 muffins in my share lol so i plan on finishing them in the next eight days.
  • missbrie11
    missbrie11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not really. When I'm home, my family is great about it, but living with three roommates is tough. They're always baking, or snacking, or wanting to go out to eat, and if I try to get out of it or don't eat, that "peer pressure" starts. It makes things really difficult sometimes.
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My kids are always asking me if I know how to log something or if i'm sure that I have enough calories left lol. My family is very supportive as are my co-workers. I am blessed!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what your support system is like? Does your husband/wife/friends/family members (who you are living with) support and encourage you in eating healthy? And by support I mean like try to join you in eating healthy, encourage you not to have those chips (in a positive way), and do they try to avoid eating those junk foods you ABSOLUTELY love right in front of your face?

Fortunately, yes. We all eat the same "clean" food so I don't have to go nuts making different things for different members of my family.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes. I buy a king size kit kat bar, eat 2 sticks...and then my husband eats the other 6. *sigh*

In reality I am completely in charge of all the food that comes into the house and everything that is cooked.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Yes. My flatmate is very overweight, and eats a lot of crap. So he's my visual reminder that eating that food is terrible for you!
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I live with my parents, so no not really. But it's not because they don't want to, they just like different things; however, my dad supports me 110% when it comes to exercising.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I live alone. So i pretty much support myself & make majority of my own food.

You will RARELY find any unorganic processed artificial food in my kitchen.

It keeps me in control. But i'm not complaining
    :laugh:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I do the healthy cooking so my husband is stack with it, but he does like it and appreciate what I make. He goes food shopping sometimes but he doesn't buy junk or unhealthy food.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes. I live at home with my parents and my mom is pretty much a health nut, so meals at home have always been clean and healthy. My family is supportive of my efforts to lose weight and become healthier, which has certainly made this journey easier.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs my Mum is when I leave the scales out after weighing :blushing: