Healthy substitutes

Options
2»

Replies

• scadgirl20
    scadgirl20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas everyone. Keep them coming if you have any. We can all use tips
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I literally discovered how great quinoa (say it like: KEEN-WAH) is last week! It's a so-called "superfood" which means that it's a complete protein. (Just a note: it's a seed but is eaten more like grains. There aren't any grains that are complete proteins.) It has many other nutrients in it as well and its texture and taste (or somewhat lack of taste) is an AWESOME substitute for any kind of rice (or maybe pasta). You cook it just like rice (rinse before boiling for 15 mins--that's it). It's cheap and you can put any sauce/seasonings in it like you would rice, or you could eat it as a substitute for cearal in the morning (but still cook it) and add a little milk and fruit (and maybe honey). You can also throw it into some steamed vegtables for extra protein. And of course there's hundreds of "quinoa salad" recipes online which I've never tried. I would advice to use this as a protein and nutrient rich supplement rather than thinking it has less calories than brown rice (222 cals/cooked cup for quinoa and 218/cooked cup for brown rice). It's simply much healthier... not lower in calories. I think it's worth the trade off.

Also, don't be afraid of it like I was... it seemed really strange (it looks like bird seeds lol) but I'm glad I tried it.
  • beenisafe
    beenisafe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love mashing an avacado up with my tuna or chicken salad instead of mayo. It tastes so good!!!

Avacado instead of mayo thats brilliant.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A low carb wrap or a portabella cap instead of pizza crust when I make pizza
    Thin slices of zucchini or shiitake mushrooms in place of noodles
    Unsweetened almond milk instead of cream in my coffee
    Soy slender instead of chocolate milk/ hot cocoa
    A mim instead of muffins
    Crushed tomatoes instead of brand marinara sauce (nearly all add sugar)
    Coconut flour instead of wheat flour
    Wilson turkey pepperoni (half the calories)
    Cubed squash pieces sautéed in olive oil instead of potato home fries
    Simply Jiff peanut butter, because it has no added salt or sugar
    Smuckers sugar free jams instead of regular
    Baked apple chips instead of potato chips
    Diced yellow peppers instead of corn in shepherds pie

And instead of oil and eggs in cakes, i use a sugar free cake mix and a can of diet soda (or plain carbonated water) which really cuts calories, this is a weight watchers recipe, and it turns out just like real cake. I do not eat it often, as it does still contain wheat in the mix.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Pita bread for pizza crust. Zucchini for lasagna.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    1. Cauliflower instead of potatoes for mashed potatoes

Mashed broccoli with garlic isn't too shabby. I don't like cauliflower very much, but I liked the mashed broccoli! A little bit of cheddar cheese on top and yummm!
  • boppy12345
    Options
    I love egg fried Cauliflower good sub for rice.
  • scadgirl20
    Options
    Practically a Fat free lasagna. Had it tonight --- http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=20856
  • scadgirl20
    Options
    I've been making my tuna with mustard rather than mayo
  • mozzie88
    mozzie88 Posts: 33
    Options
    PB2 instead of peanut butter
    Almond unsweetened milk instead of trim milk
    Freyas sandwich thins instead of buns, bread, pizza bases etc..
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm blanking right now, but I prob. have 5 pages of tips.
    this is my bread and butter people.
    I don't really do it anymore, but I used to spend a lot of time
    researching how to do things in a healthier way, mostly
    making recipes healthier, kids to eat veggies, on a budget etc.
    so I'll add more later

ground flax in place of an egg in baked goods or a small batch of pancakes/muffins

I buy frozen diced peppers and onions mix all the time. adds lots of flavor sauteed and added to almost anything.

don't be afraid to try spicy peppers. jalapenos are actually petty mild if you saute it without the seeds. and mix with something else.

bean burritos covered with green salsa and a sprinkle of extra sharp cheddar, optional. instead of standard cheese covered enchiladas

I got tired of all the extra calories and sugar in honey mustard dressing (and sometimes fat too)
    I just use honey mustard now
    even better if it's chipotle honey mustard

get a pepper grinder and grind your own pepper its much more flavorful than powdered pepper

baked sweet potatoes long and slow in the oven are just as tasty as the marshmallow covered version to me now
    and make a portable meal.

make your own veggie burgers.