Should women powerlift/ Lift heavy weights?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes, we should be allowed to lift heavy.

Everyone should seek education on proper lifting techniques.
    The only person I ever knew with a serious injury from lifting was a man and it was... a very serious and unfortunate injury..

But just saying.

YES YES YES lift heavy ladies if you want to.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    After 8 pages, I'll chime in!

Of course..and is this a joke?
    Have you not been around enough to kno of the benefits.
    A tid bit of info for you in case you had any more ridiculous questions.

“I train 3-4 days per week, including strength training, conditioning, power development and movement skills. I almost always lift full body and end with some type of interval based training or metabolic circuit.

I have a pretty organized and comprehensive program, based on “movements” as opposed to “muscles” and I train almost purely for the performance benefits. The aesthetic benefits of training are just a fortunate side effect of a sound training program and smart nutritional regimen.
    The other two are sprint, slide-board and sled-based. While I do fluctuate my training intensity, volume and load to account for CNS adaptation and avoid overtraining, I never “lift light” so to speak. Training heavy and seriously is what got me to the point where I actually like my body and feel comfortable in my skin."
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Whats your thoughts?

It makes me nervous when people talk like that. I live in a red state.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I hope y'all are joking. Can't always tell from writing, but if those of you who are saying women shouldn't be allowed or shouldn't choose to are serious then I think this is the wrong community for you to be a part of. This is about motivation and encouragement, not holding people back!

I lift and love to lift. I'm not saying I over exert myself, but I lift a lot more than the girls I usually work out with. I am appalled that anyone would ever try to tell me to do otherwise.

I think that we can safely say that very few people here support the OP's initial suggestion.... I think even the guys are kinda behind us on this one :wink: So do you lift the blue sparkly weights rather than the pink ones? I'm sooo impressed (but shhhh don't tell the others, I also like the big grey lumps of metal with the bars... rebellious!)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

It's whether, not weather, and of course we are "allowed to". If I pay for a gym membership, you can't tell me I am not allowed to lift a weight, b/c it's so heavy it might hurt some guy's ego...:blushing:
  • SuperFitRich
    SuperFitRich Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well Hell Yea!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    funny-gif-baby-scared-laughing-reactions.gif

Should they....if they want to, yes.

Should they be "Allowed to"??? Do you really want to risk telling a woman who does that she can't?
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is awesome.
    Burns more calories, tones up so fast and makes you actually strong!
    You will also burn calories for longer after your work out!
    Plus it's a challenge for yourself to push harder/lift heavier!

That's why I love Crossfit, everyone supports each other and motivates you to go harder, where as in a regular gym, it's full of DMO (Display model only) guys grunting and checking themselves out in the mirror...
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals
    No derogatory references to sex, gender, weight, body-type, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.