Should women powerlift/ Lift heavy weights?

Options
I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Whats your thoughts?

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Sorry but this seems more like the sort of thing a guy would do.
  • LouLou_2013
    Options

Sorry but this seems more like the sort of thing a guy would do.

I don't, from what I saw men were just getting on with it. The women looked like they were just pushing to hard.
  • parkygirl
    parkygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LOL.... weightlifting/strength training can be a huge asset to looking superfine if done properly.

This is pretty motivating:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/19kzd4/21f_8_month_powerlifting_progress/
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't, from what I saw men were just getting on with it. The women looked like they were just pushing to hard.

That makes it sound like the women were the ones seriously training and the men were just sort of wasting time.

It's supposed to be hard.

You are supposed to look like you are pushing too hard.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Totes. Women don't belong in the gym esp the freeweight section. They should be at home raising the kids and doing all the cooking and cleaning. Oh, and have a cold drink ready for me when I get home from work.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

Allowed to?? ermm... yeah they should be allowed to because its up to them as long as they have proper form etc they shouldn't hurt themselves
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I don't see how all this heavy lifting is going to help them make me sammiches. There should be some sort of law.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't have to prove anything to anybody.

I lift 'heavy' for me and do Stronglifts 5 x 5 and I workout at home. I have been doing this to retain my muscles whilst losing the my excess weight and also to have stronger more dense muscles.

This also has the advantage that I am losing inches more than numbers on the scale and am therefore already in my target clothes size before I have got to goal weight.

I am stronger than I have ever been in my whole life before and having nearly got to target weight, my body is the best shape it has ever been in.

I lift just 3 x a week with a little light cardio on non lifting days and I have been losing 1 lb a week consistently.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Totes. Women don't belong in the gym esp the freeweight section. They should be at home raising the kids and doing all the cooking and cleaning. Oh, and have a cold drink ready for me when I get home from work.

Lol I would drop a weight on your toe :P haha
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

Whats your thoughts?

This is a joke, right?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    allowed to? :laugh:

i don't really condone it, but as long as their husband or boyfriend signs the permission slip, i think it's ok. :laugh:
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Whats your thoughts?

Wow! Should we be allowed to? Well since I started lifting more than barbie weights I have lost 15% body fat! It's supposed to be hard. I feel kind of offended that you think women can't do what men can do..... Total stereo type! Oh and btw please don't even try to say it will make you bulky. Just once I'd like to see a woman do her research on that seriously just once.....
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    my thoughts? i think this will be an interesting thread to read here soon ;)
    lmao @ "allowed to"
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Can I please sir? Can I? PLEASE?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Whats your thoughts?

This is a joke, right?

ha ha - troll!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Whats your thoughts?

Dafaq? Were you born in 1930? "Allowed"?

Yeah, cause men never lift to heavy and injury themselves because they are trying to prove something....

People of both genders should be careful, have good form, and progress as safely as possible.

Tiny lady picking up 300lbs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeJlTMIp7cc
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Just curious why they shouldn't or wouldn't?

I lift what I consider heavy for me and am continually trying to increase. I use 25 lbs for overhead press, 40 lbs for kickbacks, 205 squatting, 145 dead lifts, etc. and I know I have the potential for more. The majority of girls (90% or more) at my gym should be lifting wayyyy heavier even if they're not lifting "heavy". They're using 5 or 7 lbs for tricep kickbacks and bicep curls. They have so much more potential but to each is their own. There's a real advantage to lifting heavy if it's done properly. I LOVE my backside and can see physical changes since I started lifting heavy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Whats your thoughts?

5055032357_69d1d1be72_z.jpg
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't have to prove anything to anybody.

I lift 'heavy' for me and do Stronglifts 5 x 5 and I workout at home. I have been doing this to retain my muscles whilst losing the my excess weight and also to have stronger more dense muscles.

This also has the advantage that I am losing inches more than numbers on the scale and am therefore already in my target clothes size before I have got to goal weight.

I am stronger than I have ever been in my whole life before and having nearly got to target weight, my body is the best shape it has ever been in.

I lift just 3 x a week with a little light cardio on non lifting days and I have been losing 1 lb a week consistently.
    I love it!! Awesome job! :) Women need to lift and they are short changing themselves when they don't...
  • erbimages
    erbimages Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Whats your thoughts?

Allowed to? Bahahahah what are you living in the 1950's
This discussion has been closed.