Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options

I know you don't want to argue but I have just read this thread and this article and this jumped out at me from the conclusions.
    Short-term fasts, although demonstrating to the obese patient his ability to lose weight, have a poor long-term outlook with respect to subsequent weight gain (MacCuish et al., 1968) ... extended starvation therapy must be used cautiously. (basically under strict medical supervision due to deaths related to it)

So this clearly negates what you said about eating a low calorie diet. The artilce also mentioned deaths associated with the starvation diet (I know that is not waht you are suggesting but still) and the article is from 1973 - our knowledge of nutrition has moved on quite a bit since then.

I honestly don't see how you could possibly recommend 800 calories or 600 cals net to a person in good faith. People who eat this low for a period of time are classed as anorexic and have a very hard time meeting their nutritional requirement. Yes they will lose weight - but also a large % of that will be lbm. It seems at odds with the good advice you suggest about lifting heavy and only having a samll deficit.

Also you say if you feel ok with that the it is ok - it is well know that anorexics mess up their 'hunger' signals by eating too low - so that is not a good gauge of if eating so low is ok.

Well I believe that study was referring to fasting and starvation therapy meaning no food at all. I'm not recommending people to do that, but very low calorie diets are ok, it just depends on the individual if they can handle it or not. Someone who is obese who is eating a very low calorie diet sufficient in protein and fats and micronutrients, can lose weight just fine. There's a lot of success with things like proteins sparring modified fasts.

However, mostly you have to consider that if someone isn't losing weight on a calorie amount they are reporting, and all the math points that this person should clearly be achieving a deficit, then something is wrong. So if I calculate someone being able to maintain weight at 1600 calories (for example) and they report they are not losing on 1200 calories, then I really assume there are a 400 calories getting added in there unknown to the individual. It's not that I don't trust people, this is from experience in analyzing calorie records of individuals and more often than not, people underestimate.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    How can someone's real TDEE be way off from a calculated TDEE online?

I'm 5'2", 25yrs old and calculators online say my TDEE should be somewhere around 2100-2300 based on my activity. I exercise 4-5days a week for an hour a day and weight 166. I do cardio and lifting.

I tried eating 1600-1700 and did not lose doing that for weeks. So I assume that's my TDEE. If I eat more than 1800 I gain.

Now that I am eating 1200-1500 (average 1300-1400) I am losing about a pound a week.

Are there any factors that can cause this? I am on high blood pressure medication so I thought maybe that might have some effect. I do plan on asking my doctor about it next time I go. It just seems odd that my actual TDEE would be so low.

Thanks!

Calculating metabolism = estimation
    Reporting food intake = estimation
    reporting exercise = estimation
    foods in MFP = estimation

This is why I like to cut calories in percentages. All these estimations will get you close to the true numbers, but in the end, you have to make adjustments according to your results and try to eliminate variables and be consistent.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hello Tony,

What are your top 5 books on nutrition and top 5 books on exercise?

I really liked Nancy Clark's "Sports Nutrition". I like to check out PUBMED.gov for reviews to get quick ideas on topics, also I like reading bodyrecomposition.com

Books: Non-linear periodization by Fleck and Kraemer, Essentials of Strength and Conditioning by the NSCA, Rippetoes' Practical Programing, and Mark Boyle's book on Functional Training.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Do macros matter? Does too much carbs really hinder weight and/or fat loss, or is total calories all that matters? I read somewhere that carbs cause water retention and hence mask weight loss, but in the long run if I keep up with my calorie deficit will I still be a few lbs heavier just because I'm always in a high carb diet?

Also, does eating before sleeping cause bloating especially in the face, even if you're within your caloric goal?

Yes, macros matter. You need to get sufficient proteins and fats for survival and carbs can be useful too. But, you can be somewhat flexible with them.

Eating before bed causing bloating... I believe this would be a very individual thing and depend on what you're eating. If you're in a caloric deficit, it's not a sign of fat gain.

So if i ate ad lib while hitting my calorie goal, you're telling me I wouldn't get what i need?

It's not like someone is going to eat 100%, carbs, or protein or fat.

You may very well get what you need, but it would be a rare case if you were getting everything in the optimal levels. It just depends if you are trying to reach optimal levels or not. For the majority of people I recommend starting with just calories though. It's better to start simple.
  • Nidda_C
    Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Also, does it matter what time a person eats dinner and sleeps? For example, is it fine if a person eats dinner and then sleeps immediately without exercising a little or allowing the food to digest?

Lastly, I read on a previous post saying that you said eating a artificial sweetener like Splenda is fine. I was wondering what you had to say about sweeteners like Splenda being potentially cancerous?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony!

You ROCK for helping us--Thank you so much, as I find your advice encouraging and inspirational and doable! Okay, here's my question...

I have a home gym machine thingy that has all kinds of weight lifting/strength training do-hickeys on them and it's fantastic, I especially love the rowing machine thingy. It has about 200 pounds of weights connected to these cables (I can put as much or as little weight as I'd like) and I lift about 10 lbs (one little brick when doing my rowing and upper/lower body exercises. I hear than first I should focus on getting this flab and fat offa my body before I start lifting more heavier weight. I've heard if not...I'll be adding muscle under fat and that I shouldn't do that--just get the fat off first...then lift...which is true, what should I do? how much should I lift? 10 pounds feels great...not too heavy, not too light?

Thank you in advance for your reply AND for your patience, intelligent, professional and kindhearted replies to everyone...again, you ROCK sir!

Thank you.

You should be lifting a weight that makes it difficult to get about 8-12 repetitions each set, for a beginner.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hope this thread is back on track!

Here's my question:

I've been gaining very slowly while eating at or below what MFP recommends for maintenance. Up until I started gaining (alittle more than a year ago), I had been maintaining at just a little below MFP maintenance. Then suddenly i started gaining. I keep reading about resetting your metabolism by eating at maintenance for several weeks. Will this help, or will I just keep packing on more pounds that I will have to re-lose? And are there other ways to reset metabolism? (I am still at a healthy weight with bf % about 23-24. I just want to stop the gain and then re-lose 5 lbs. and I don't want to have to maintain by netting under 1300 which seems to be where I am. BTW I am almost 5'3" I weigh 120 and I am 45 and female.)

Give yourself a ceiling #. Once you hit that number, just cut calories and get back down to the weight range you want. Also, keep exercising. Exercise is a great way to aid you in maintaining your wt.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Ok Tony, here's a question you might know the answer to: how does weather influence calorie burn?

I'm a ranger, which as you can imagine involves a lot of working outdoors. We've currently got a lot of snow and 50+ mph winds. I'm logging/eating back activities like shovelling snow, but I still find myself wanting to eat ALL THE THINGS. Especially carbs. Mmmmmm, carbs.

Is this just comfort eating or do I really need more energy when it's this bad out?

As far as I know, the temperature at which you excercise or work in will alter your sweat rate and rate of perceived exertion of the difficulty of your tasks. This can translate into an either greater or lesser ability to perform work which will in turn, affect net calories. Also, cold temperature can slightly increase your calorie burn but it is rather insignificant. So I think the harder the weather makes you have to work, the more calories you burn. I hope that answered your question.

If you're increasing your weight to an unhealthy level, then its bad. But there's nothing wrong with eating when you're working hard like that.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony!

You ROCK for helping us--Thank you so much, as I find your advice encouraging and inspirational and doable! Okay, here's my question...

I have a home gym machine thingy that has all kinds of weight lifting/strength training do-hickeys on them and it's fantastic, I especially love the rowing machine thingy. It has about 200 pounds of weights connected to these cables (I can put as much or as little weight as I'd like) and I lift about 10 lbs (one little brick when doing my rowing and upper/lower body exercises. I hear than first I should focus on getting this flab and fat offa my body before I start lifting more heavier weight. I've heard if not...I'll be adding muscle under fat and that I shouldn't do that--just get the fat off first...then lift...which is true, what should I do? how much should I lift? 10 pounds feels great...not too heavy, not too light?

Thank you in advance for your reply AND for your patience, intelligent, professional and kindhearted replies to everyone...again, you ROCK sir!

Thank you.

You should be lifting a weight that makes it difficult to get about 8-12 repetitions each set, for a beginner.

You're welcomed and just a couple of little things....

What you've told me sounds so simple, like you'd have to hire someone to help me misunderstand what you're talking about...well--:blushing: I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

What's a repetition?
    what's a set?
    How much should a beginner begin with?

I'm over 50 years old woman--5"6 and pretty strong (I think so anyways). I also have some 15 pound hand weights, and those are pretty heavy. If you don't mind--perhaps I'm not the only "novice" person here and your detailed answers may not only help me, but others (I could google this info, I reckon...but I wanted to get it from you). Also, what about the building muscle under fat?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    What is your opinion about drinking 8 glasses of water. If calorie dificit is all we need why do people insist on water? Thanks

Because you need water to live.

You can get water from other fluids too, it doesn't have to be right out of the tap.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That's fine, if you do not want to provide a simple link I understand. I wonder if Tony has an opinion on this.

Like the way I got that back to Tony and the fact that it's his thread :wink:

Artificial sweeteners are fine. These have been extensively researched and there is no need to fear them.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15367404

Thank you Tony. That was my understanding also and what I expected your answer to be.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Thanks for making yourself available for questions.

I'm 5'3, 53kg, 43 yrs, female, Asian, trying to tone up my thighs, arms and belly. Exercises include elliptical 2-3 times a week, 5-8km run 1x a weeks, Nike training club - toning/set strong routine 2x a week ( with 2x 2 kg dumbbells), and yoga when ever I can. Recently added leg press and arm lifts with 20 pound weight. Exercise 6-7 days a weeks. Intake usually 1400-1700. Net target 1300.

I always wonder, do I really need to up protein intake since I added strength training? And do i really need to change the standard ratio? I'm still keeping to 55/30/15 ratio on MFP, although I usually. do carb at 45-50, and protein at 20-25. But if I lower carb to 40, i will have carbs craving following after that.

Your advice will be appreciated.

If you want optimal results for your goals, then I would recommend eating accordingly. If you're ok with a more relaxed approach, then take that one. It's up to you.

Generally you want 1g of protein per # of lean mass up to 1g per # of bodyweight.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

What you've told me sounds so simple, like you'd have to hire someone to help me misunderstand what you're talking about...well--:blushing: I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

What's a repetition?
    what's a set?

I'm over 50 years old woman--5"6 and pretty strong (I think so anyways). I also have some 15 pound hand weights, and those are pretty heavy. If you don't mind--perhaps I'm not the only "novice" person here and your detailed answers may not only help me, but others (I could google this info, I reckon...but I wanted to get it from you). Also, what about the building muscle under fat?

A repetition is when you pick a weight up and down one time.

A set is how many repetitions you perform in sequence before resting.

Beginners should start with a weight that is difficult to lift 8-12 times but they can still maintain correct form. Typically start with 3 sets per muscle group and perform full body workouts 2-3 times per week.

You must also try to progress each time you workout. Add 1 more rep, set, or move up in weight as you are able. If you don't force your body to adapt, it won't change because you haven't imposed any demands for it to do so.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

What's a repetition?
    what's a set?

A repetition is when you pick a weight up and down one time.

A set is how many repetitions you perform in sequence before resting.

Beginners should start with a weight that is difficult to lift 8-12 times but they can still maintain correct form. Typically start with 3 sets per muscle group and perform full body workouts 2-3 times per week.

You must also try to progress each time you workout. Add 1 more rep, set, or move up in weight as you are able. If you don't force your body to adapt, it won't change because you haven't imposed any demands for it to do so.

By George, I think I've GOT IT! Thank you so much, sir. :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Courtney_T
    Courtney_T Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am new to this board (1st post!), but I have been using the MFP app for the past week & love it! I have lost about 5.5lbs. by just changing my eating habits. My question is this: I still don't have any idea on what my caloric intake should be. My overall goal is to lose about 87-88lbs. My previous diet consisted of fast food for everything, therefore, I was having a lot of intake in calories. I don't want to "shock" my system by cutting calories that drastically. That's why I have failed in the past with weight loss. My current BMR is 2368. I work at an animal hospital, and I am on my feet most of the day & handle animals everyday (lifting, restraining, etc). I am currently trying to exercise about 3x a week by walking. What should my calorie intake be right now? When I lose weight, how do I calculate my calories each time for continued weight loss? TIA.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hello. I am new to this board (1st post!), but I have been using the MFP app for the past week & love it! I have lost about 5.5lbs. by just changing my eating habits. My question is this: I still don't have any idea on what my caloric intake should be. My overall goal is to lose about 87-88lbs. My previous diet consisted of fast food for everything, therefore, I was having a lot of intake in calories. I don't want to "shock" my system by cutting calories that drastically. That's why I have failed in the past with weight loss. My current BMR is 2368. I work at an animal hospital, and I am on my feet most of the day & handle animals everyday (lifting, restraining, etc). I am currently trying to exercise about 3x a week by walking. What should my calorie intake be right now? When I lose weight, how do I calculate my calories each time for continued weight loss? TIA.

If you're going with what MFP gave you, you're losing weight, and you're not hungry- then I would keep going with that. MFP gets pretty close to the bulls-eye when recommending calories. Make small changes from there if you need to.
  • calliebeth
    Options
    Hi, I just hit my goal weight and in the last 12 months lost 149lbs! I am adding foods back and just noticed that wheat is causing me extreem gas, and stomach discomfort, could this be because I have not had it for a year? Is there a test that can be done to see if I have a wheat alergy? I am currently eating 1400 calories a day, and adding 100 calories a week and watching the scale, I do not want to loose more, but don;t want to gain either. the scale goes up and down by about 2lbs. I want do not want to gain the weight back, I have a life again, and feel soooo good! I am active and Living!! I weight 154lbs and am 5 foot 8. Advise is welcomed. thanks. and I agree, starvation mode is a bunch of BS, and an excuse to over eat! I know I used to use that excuse!
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is very nice what you're doing! I have a question for my husband actually:

He despises heavy protein diets. He doesn't like a lot of meat and won't go near protein shakes. He won't even try them. It's just a stubborn thing, but I can't force him. He insists protein don't make him feel full but carbs do. His daily protein ends up being pretty low as a result. I personally follow the 1g per lean body weight rule and generally see that being recommended, but does it really matter if it's lower (say, 20-40g on a 200 pound 5'3" man) so long as he's in the calorie range for weight loss?

The few times he's tried dieting with me he immediately gets so discouraged by all the protein. He's OK cutting back calories, but not adding protein. I don't want to keep discouraging him if this is unnecessary!

If it matters at all, he's pretty inactive. He has very severe asthma to the point of having attacks multiple times a week, and while he tries to work out (lift weights) with me every now and then, just warming up or doing one set gives him an asthma attack so that's difficult. Basically, weight loss is 100% diet for him, not working out, and there's no growing muscles to worry about needing protein for.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi, I just hit my goal weight and in the last 12 months lost 149lbs! I am adding foods back and just noticed that wheat is causing me extreem gas, and stomach discomfort, could this be because I have not had it for a year? Is there a test that can be done to see if I have a wheat alergy? I am currently eating 1400 calories a day, and adding 100 calories a week and watching the scale, I do not want to loose more, but don;t want to gain either. the scale goes up and down by about 2lbs. I want do not want to gain the weight back, I have a life again, and feel soooo good! I am active and Living!! I weight 154lbs and am 5 foot 8. Advise is welcomed. thanks. and I agree, starvation mode is a bunch of BS, and an excuse to over eat! I know I used to use that excuse!

Yes, you can get tested for celiacs and gluten allergies. See if there's a specialist in your area or someone that works with an RD that does LEAP diets (basically allergy food specialty). Also, if you eat a food and it is bothering you, then don't eat eat for a while. See if symptoms reside. Eat it again and see if it triggers a response. You'll be able to know then.

Give yourself a range that you are happy maintaining. You may want to add slower like just increasing 5% every 2 weeks. It's really up to you. Keep exercising!
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump to read later