Replies

• katkrak
    katkrak Posts: 92
    Options
    BUMP
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just updated it again for some format changes to it converts to Excel better visually.
    And one formula correction because Google spreadsheet and Excel handle blanks differently. So correction so Excel figured Macro values correctly in absence of bodyfat figure.

Correct many of the other tabs for visual change in Excel too.
  • 10angie1976
    10angie1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • KIMBeeFIT
    KIMBeeFIT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Really cool! Thanks!
  • sharonloraine
    sharonloraine Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    Really cool! Thanks!

Hope it's useful.
  • heybales
    Options
    Bump...awesome! Thanks for sharing...

Just an expansion, and expansion, and probably another 2 or 3, from what I was using anyway to help people. Wanted to let folks help and understand themselves.

And who doesn't enjoy fun with numbers! :tongue:
  • carolynbergen1
    Options
    Bump, Bump, Bump! This wins for the most informative post! Thank you SO much OP for taking the time to provide all of us such an invaluable tool. I think it's such a must read for all of us that MFP should make anyone who joins here read it and download the spreadsheet! Really, thank you from the bottom of my heart for this! Glad I stumbled on this. :flowerforyou: :smile: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Heybales..

I filled out this spreadsheet (and it's amazing).. just wanted to clear up something I am a little confused on. I am experiencing a stall in weight loss so I gave this a shot, changed settings on MFP according to what info I got from your spreadsheet.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1,600 from Katch-McArdle formula based on weight and body fat 25.28%

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) 2,623 based on your weekly activity averaged to a daily level with a BMR multiplier of 1.64

Total Daily Eating Goal (TDEG) 2,217 15.5% deficit is based on 8 lbs left to lose and 60% heavy cardio to lifting ratio

Average Daily Deficit Calories 406 0.8 lbs expected weekly fat loss (not always weight loss)

I am confused by the statement: "You do not eat back the planned exercise. You can log your planned workouts as 1 calorie, or total calories after you have met your daily goal, or total calories and immediately correct to 1 calorie so the posting on wall will show the full burn amount."

I log my exercise, averaging from 200-900 per day.. to clear the air, I would eat back my cals in order to meet the net cal of 2217?

Sorry if you answered this already, I kinda feel dumb for asking :laugh: but I would appreciate the clarification when you have time to give it. Thanks! :)
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! Bump.
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nathanalgren
    nathanalgren Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nice one!
  • heybales
    Options
    I am confused by the statement: "You do not eat back the planned exercise. You can log your planned workouts as 1 calorie, or total calories after you have met your daily goal, or total calories and immediately correct to 1 calorie so the posting on wall will show the full burn amount."

I log my exercise, averaging from 200-900 per day.. to clear the air, I would eat back my cals in order to meet the net cal of 2217?

Sorry if you answered this already, I kinda feel dumb for asking :laugh: but I would appreciate the clarification when you have time to give it. Thanks! :)

As it says - you do NOT eat back the planned exercise. Meaning whatever you included in the Activity Calculator.

That's why its called a Total Daily Eating Goal, not Net, but total.

Few options there for how you can still log your exercise if you want to, and not mess up the manually entered TDEG by MFP adding calories you've already accounted for.

Now, you throw an extra workout in the week you didn't plan on in the activity calc - ya, eat it back.
    As it explains, if you miss a planned workout, you skip some calories, if you make it up, you eat those skipped ones again.

Same would go for time, like if you added 30 - 60 min to a workout. Just eat some extra back.
  • carolynbergen1
    Options
    Heybales..

I read this sentence too quickly and thought you said "I would eat back my CATS in order to meet the net cal of 2217"

It's late, I had a super long and somewhat trying day/night/day (insomnia). So forgive me, but that struck me as so funny I almost fell off my chair! But hey...you never know on here...I've seen some rather unorthodox food diaries and some off the wall postings on here such as the 21 day water fast. Eating one's cats to meet a caloric goal sounds less crazy than some of the other stuff I've read, unfortunate as that is! But your post brought a chuckle on and even though you didn't mean to, I thank you, It's exactly what I needed right now.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just want to thank you for all that work - its an awesome spreadsheet and i love it, I have just revisitied my settings and tweaked them to see how I go for the month of April
    I look forward to my results and the others so well done
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

As it says - you do NOT eat back the planned exercise. Meaning whatever you included in the Activity Calculator.

That's why its called a Total Daily Eating Goal, not Net, but total.

Few options there for how you can still log your exercise if you want to, and not mess up the manually entered TDEG by MFP adding calories you've already accounted for.

Now, you throw an extra workout in the week you didn't plan on in the activity calc - ya, eat it back.
    As it explains, if you miss a planned workout, you skip some calories, if you make it up, you eat those skipped ones again.

Same would go for time, like if you added 30 - 60 min to a workout. Just eat some extra back.

I gotcha!

The statement I copied and pasted earlier conflicts with what it says to enter on MFP (e.g. change Calories Burned goal to 0 if not logging them") I guess I just interpreted it wrong. I didn't change that setting (Calories Burned) because I intended on logging the full workout.. now I am concerned I messed up yesterday. I net 1523, ate 2406, did 874 cals worth of exercise. :cry: My goal is to build muscle so I don't want to net too little.

I think your spreadsheet will take some getting used to cause I don't have the option on my phone to just enter 1 cal and wish to enter the exact amount of calories burned.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Heybales..

I read this sentence too quickly and thought you said "I would eat back my CATS in order to meet the net cal of 2217"

It's late, I had a super long and somewhat trying day/night/day (insomnia). So forgive me, but that struck me as so funny I almost fell off my chair! But hey...you never know on here...I've seen some rather unorthodox food diaries and some off the wall postings on here such as the 21 day water fast. Eating one's cats to meet a caloric goal sounds less crazy than some of the other stuff I've read, unfortunate as that is! But your post brought a chuckle on and even though you didn't mean to, I thank you, It's exactly what I needed right now.

Thanks for laughing at my suffering :laugh: :laugh: I love my cat, would never eat him!!! LOL
  • heybales
    Options
    I gotcha!

The statement I copied and pasted earlier conflicts with what it says to enter on MFP (e.g. change Calories Burned goal to 0 if not logging them") I guess I just interpreted it wrong. I didn't change that setting (Calories Burned) because I intended on logging the full workout.. now I am concerned I messed up yesterday. I net 1523, ate 2406, did 874 cals worth of exercise. :cry: My goal is to build muscle so I don't want to net too little.

I think your spreadsheet will take some getting used to cause I don't have the option on my phone to just enter 1 cal and wish to enter the exact amount of calories burned.

Ya, that's just a goal setting in MFP regarding fitness. You can have goals of time and frequency and calories. It does nothing to the math for diet.

So just a little over goal, but still at a deficit, so never a problem eating more than TDEG, as long as eating under TDEE you still got deficit.
    TDEG is just an estimate that should still keep you from losing muscle mass based on studies, but give the most deficit.

So this is weight loss suggestion, not increasing performance suggestion.
    But then again, unless eating at a surplus, performance is going to plateau anyway, eating at biggest deficit you can get safely will just make it happen quicker. But if weight and fat is dropping faster, you'll get to maintenance quicker, and then be able to have fun with the surplus at that time.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I remember you sending me this spreadsheet a month ago, and I totally forgot about it. Just went through and did my numbers. It's pretty close to what I was doing. I had my calories at 2470 and your spreadsheet says 2392. Have you noticed weight loss stalling or gaining with just a 100 calorie increase? Gonna change my macros anyway. I should pay more attention to my friends list, lol!

Thanks hey! :tongue: