Spreadsheet for BMR/TDEE Deficit, Macro calcs, HRM zones

Options
Also on blog.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/spreadsheet-ver-3-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-macro-calcs-hrm-zones-426221

After observing so many desiring to increase their calories to get out of a stall, but the confusion over different BMR values found, different TDEE calculators doing things different ways, desires to still eat back exercise calories and basically use MFP but tweak it, I wanted a spreadsheet with everything in one place.

I could never find a site that really had everything in one place, though some came close. If I could do web page coding, I could have done it there. But I think there is something to be said for a spreadsheet you can download as Excel or into your own Google account, and keep your stats for future reference and changes, which a web page can't give you.

So this Weight Loss Calculator Spreadsheet is hopefully self-explanatory if you have seen any of the discussions regarding TDEE and deficits, and BMR, ect. It is not totally meant as educational, which you can get elsewhere.

So it does appear busy, because I think it's interesting to see all the figures at once and compare methods, so you can see that sometimes, concern over minor values really doesn't change things much in the end. Just read carefully to see what is going on, and don't accidently wipe out non-yellow cells. And be honest with activity levels, same as you need to be honest with food eaten, if you want to succeed.

Each tab has an explanation at top as to why you may want to use that method, or what that tab does for you.

The BMR/TDEE Deficit tab.
Your stats to log, including now the bodyfat% calc's found on other sites. So you can save your stats and see them change. Since using this program usually results in more fat lost and inches lost than just purely weight loss.
The 3 different calcs for BMR.
And then 3 different ways of trying to nail your real TDEE figure (pick one).
Then several deficit methods that I've seen referenced in studies or is popular, and when you might use that deficit method. Pick one or a middle value of extremes perhaps. And how to change the MFP settings.

The Macros tab deals with some of the common advice on how much protein, fat, and carbs to eat if not straight % method, which is what MFP uses. So now a means to get your amounts, and convert to a %, and what to change in MFP to meet your eating goals. Also included some Zone diet calcs I had from years ago using this method during endurance training.

The HRM tab has some changes to the HRM you could do for better calorie burn estimates: mainly VO2max estimate, HRmax estimate methods.
Getting your HR training zones for better training, including a section on getting your Lactate Threshold figured out for performance training HR zones. Perhaps the weight is coming off and now you want to train smart for an event.
Also is a personalized for you table of calorie burn for different HR's based on a Polar funded study, so it's like having a Polar, but perhaps even better if yours does not allow entering the VO2max stat. And if you see advice on working out at a % of VO2max, table for that too.

The MFP Tweak tab, is merely to get the Daily goal figure above whatever number you want to use as bare minimum. Then you eat back HRM based exercise calories. For when your workouts are too iffy to include in daily TDEE value based on weekly average.

The Eating For Future You was the start of the spreadsheet, and is specific method that is perhaps more work to nail daily activity, but perhaps better potential if honest.

The Garmin tab is for those using that HRM with Firstbeat algorithms. That HRM has no ability to input known or better estimated VO2max stat, so a way to tweak the settings to force it to use a known value anyway.

I'm hopefully done tweaking, as I got suggestions from my friends list and the 1st and 2nd version have been out for awhile, but let me know if something is lacking or wrong. Which means check back for updates compared to your saved version. The date is there on each tab, depending on what you use.

The sheet explains the fact you can copy it to your own Google account, or download it as Excel and most of the formatting still looks correct, the math is the same either version.

Enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

I forgot to mention the sample person in the stats, so you can see what has happened.

30 yr old female, currently 230 lbs, goal is 130, 65".
Has had a resting metabolism test done that gave a stat that is entered in RMR section.
Used the bodyfat% estimate there in her stats for better BMR estimate.

Works in hospital 40 hrs week on her feet, estimates 5 of those hrs is more than just walking around, but lifting and carrying heavy stuff.
Weight lifts 2 x weekly for 60 min with a 15 min walk warmup.
Walks another day for 15 min.
Gym class 3 x weekly for 60 min.
Wears HRM properly setup - see HRM tab. Has gotten her HRmax and VO2max calculated and used on it.
Has a consistent workout schedule and knows average calorie burn for the workouts.
Wore a FitBit for a little while and has some averages, but doesn't trust them.
Is taking the obese deficit goal for now, until another deficit method is bigger.
Used that goal on the Macros tab to setup eating enough protein.

That's our sample gal, in case you want to see where those stats ended up in the spreadsheet.

Replies

• needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • traumacode3
    traumacode3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    Options
    bump
  • CraigmileD
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
  • Lcsweetthing
    Options
    Im new to this who MFP thing, and curious what does BUMP mean????
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing this!
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I love this...thank you!
  • Luvyatp5
    Luvyatp5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Thanks for posting!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention the sample person in the stats, so you can see what has happened.

30 yr old female, currently 230 lbs, goal is 130, 65".
    Has had a resting metabolism test done that gave a stat that is entered in RMR section.
    Used the bodyfat% estimate there in her stats for better BMR estimate.

Works in hospital 40 hrs week on her feet, estimates 5 of those hrs is more than just walking around, but lifting and carrying heavy stuff.
    Weight lifts 2 x weekly for 60 min with a 15 min walk warmup.
    Walks another day for 15 min.
    Gym class 3 x weekly for 60 min.
    Wears HRM properly setup - see HRM tab. Has gotten her HRmax and VO2max calculated and used on it.
    Wore a FitBit for a little while and has some averages, but doesn't trust them.
    Is taking the obese goal for now, until another deficit method is bigger.
    Used that goal on the Macros tab to setup eating enough protein.

That's our sample gal, in case you want to see where those stats ended up in the spreadsheet.
  • TheRealAimee
    Options
    bump for later. Thanks!
  • susybon
    susybon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    save for later, thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    Im new to this who MFP thing, and curious what does BUMP mean????

So you can find the post later, because it shows up in your top 25 last read, and shows up on your wall as posts you responded to recently, and shows up in your list of posted replied to in general.

Only decent way to find a post later.
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing!
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wow, you rock. I've been wanting something like this forever! Thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    Wow, you rock. I've been wanting something like this forever! Thanks!

And if you see any improvements, please comment on ideas. Especially waiting for so long, might as well see what else you've been missing out on.
  • heybales
    Options
    If you sign up on my blog feed for updates, I don't add much at all, so it's not like you'll get many notices.

But I'll try to remember to post minor improvements so you can be notified.

That way you can decide if it's an improvement you want to get a new copy of the spreadsheet for.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    wow thank you!
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    BUMP