Assistance lifts - good or bad??

Options

Replies

• ChocoCheeseaholic
    ChocoCheeseaholic Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Assistance work is useful but is not required for a beginner. If you change the program to a bodybuilding split, YNDTP.

That might not be a bad thing, but just don't expect to get the same results as if you are doing the SS program.

I'm not sure I want to follow the program. My goals are not to continually increase my deadlift weight and become very strong. I recognize that the book is written for people who want that. I bought it because I knew it would be great for teaching form and getting me started. I've done that. Now I'm wondering if there is a better option with perhaps some isolation exercises that will help me achieve the goals I do have.

Thanks for understanding and not just jumping on me to follow SS as the holy grail of lifting.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    the compound lifts should hit all the major muscles. there is no right or wrong answer. Personally, I like to add isolation exercises after the compound.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. I have been lifting for 2 years and still stick to cthe compounds lifts....you still have everything to build....don't waste your time on assistance lifts

I agree with this
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    All of your muscles are still being worked with the main compound lifts. With that being said, I don't see a problem with adding in some assistance work at the end of a workout. Keep the volume low (like 2 sets of arms at the end of a workout or something) and if you are carrying over fatigue into your workouts and progression halts, this should a place to cut back on.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I spend about an hour a week on accessory or iso lifts, compared to the 2.5 or 3 I spend on compounds. It's not necessary. Will it hurt you? No. Just don't forgo the important stuff for isos.

(Semi unrelated ditty- I knew a dude once who had gigantic biceps. JUST gigantic biceps. Everything else on him looked like a 12 year old. )
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When you get down to a low body fat percentage and you start to worry about making certain muscles "pop" or are finalizing your definition, then worry about assistance lifts.

That would be isolation, not assistance.

If you have weak spots during your "big" lifts, then add in assistance lifts as necessary. For instance, if your hamstrings and/or glutes are weak during your squats, add ham-glute raises to shore up those weak spots. If you find yourself having trouble with your triceps during bench press, add some triceps dips.

If everything is running along smoothly, don't worry - for the time being - about assistance exercises.

However, if you really insist on doing some - work on pull-ups or chin-ups. Those will work your biceps very well. If you can't do pulls or chins, then you can do lat pull-downs until you build the strength to do pulls and/or chins.

I apologize, I think I'm using the wrong terminology and that may be confusing people. At this point I agree I don't need assistance lifts. I'm doing fine with the compounds so I won't waste my time/energy on the. However, I do think I might benefit from some isolation exercises in addition to the 5 compounds. In particular, biceps and calves seem to be underrepresented in SS. I also think I could use more abs. So... thoughts on that?

Squats will hit calves and bench (and OHP) will hit biceps to a degree. However, if you want more definition or more focus on biceps, there is nothing wrong with adding some iso work in, just be sensible and not add too much as it will impact recovery. Add them to the end of the workout.

ETA: chins are a good add.
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    IMO, 99.9% of us should stick to the major compound lifts. Lift heavy 4 times a week, approx 60 secs between sets, with good form for less than 30 min. total, then some cardio and be done. The most important thing is nutrition! Eat well, be consistent and work hard, you'll see steady progress.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    When you get down to a low body fat percentage and you start to worry about making certain muscles "pop" or are finalizing your definition, then worry about assistance lifts.

If you have weak spots during your "big" lifts, then add in assistance lifts as necessary. For instance, if your hamstrings and/or glutes are weak during your squats, add ham-glute raises to shore up those weak spots. If you find yourself having trouble with your triceps during bench press, add some triceps dips.

If everything is running along smoothly, don't worry - for the time being - about assistance exercises.

However, if you really insist on doing some - work on pull-ups or chin-ups. Those will work your biceps very well. If you can't do pulls or chins, then you can do lat pull-downs until you build the strength to do pulls and/or chins.

I apologize, I think I'm using the wrong terminology and that may be confusing people. At this point I agree I don't need assistance lifts. I'm doing fine with the compounds so I won't waste my time/energy on the. However, I do think I might benefit from some isolation exercises in addition to the 5 compounds. In particular, biceps and calves seem to be underrepresented in SS. I also think I could use more abs. So... thoughts on that?

Squats will hit calves and bench (and OHP) will hit biceps to a degree. However, if you want more definition or more focus on biceps, there is nothing wrong with adding some iso work in, just be sensible and not add too much as it will impact recovery. Add them to the end of the workout.

actually, bench hits chest and triceps... the wider your grip- the more chest. the shorter your grip- more tri's. Also you could be hitting a little shoulders, especially on an incline
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    IMO, 99.9% of us should stick to the major compound lifts. Lift heavy 4 times a week, approx 60 secs between sets, with good form for less than 30 min. total, then some cardio and be done. The most important thing is nutrition! Eat well, be consistent and work hard, you'll see steady progress.

You really can't say this when you have no idea what each individual's goals are.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I want to follow the program. My goals are not to continually increase my deadlift weight and become very strong. I recognize that the book is written for people who want that. I bought it because I knew it would be great for teaching form and getting me started. I've done that. Now I'm wondering if there is a better option with perhaps some isolation exercises that will help me achieve the goals I do have.

Thanks for understanding and not just jumping on me to follow SS as the holy grail of lifting.

SS is a good program but it's not ideal for everyone... I didn't use it myself, although I've read the book at least 3 times and review occasionally. What are your specific goals? It's not bad to work towards them as long as you're not skipping something else that's more core. Be careful about completely changing a program, but generally adding a bit of assistance work at the end of your full body workout is fine. I would recommend rows and/or chin-ups for bicep work, and your favorite choice of calf torture machines. You also mentioned abs, and a strong core is never bad. Just keep in mind that every time you pick up the barbell for any of the major compound movements, your core is required to stabilize that weight. You might be getting more core work than you already realize!

While you may not be interested in getting very strong and always increasing your deadlift, doing them will mitigate lower back issues, increase core strength, and also help increase your bone density. For many people, building a good base of strength isn't a terrible idea. Once you have enough strength to move a decent amount of weight, you can move on to other goals - such as hypertrophy, explosive power training for an athlete, or endurance/conditioning type work. Having the strength gives the ability for you to explore any of those other areas more thoroughly, if that makes sense. This is one of the main reasons that a program like SS tend to be recommended to beginners.

Not trying to preach, just giving some food for thought.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    A typically spilt routine i generally like is Chest, Shoulders, Tri's on day, Back and biceps one day, and legs on their own. This seems to be a pretty well rounded routine. And I'm not huge into classifying any lift other than "compound" lifts as "assistance." I just call them exercises or moves. I think they're all important in their own right (for the most part).

Yeah I put together what I think is a reasonable split routine like you mentioned. I used the word assistance b/c that's what the author refers to them as in SS. I too think they're important, and am wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice by not incorporating more lifts into my routine besides the 5 compounds he suggests.

I personally feel as though you can gain a lot by doing more than just the main 5 compound lifts. That's how I've lifted my entire life and I love it. It's also very simple to complete a split routine incorporating compound as well as other movements into a timeframe of about 45 minutes to an hour so I see no reason for not doing it since that is a little bit of time for a lot of gain.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

actually, bench hits chest and triceps... the wider your grip- the more chest. the shorter your grip- more tri's. Also you could be hitting a little shoulders, especially on an incline

I said to a degree. I probably should have been clearer and said 'small" degree. You have some engagement - just not a lot.
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That's great that you're doing SS! The idea behind sticking to the big lifts in SS is to just practice! It’s set up to get you familiar with the lifts, so that you focus on form and don’t over-complicate it with assistance lifts. I think this is a simple and straight forward approach and is a great way to learn—practice makes perfect. But once you become more advanced, assistance lifts can really help you make you progress (i.e. adding weight to the big lifts). You might find one of your lifts is lagging behind (for me it's back and forth between DLs and bench), so maybe you want to focus your assistance work on increasing strength for a specific lift. Or maybe you just want some more variety in your workout (I would find it too boring to only do big lifts, but some people prefer it). So to answer simply—assistance lifts are good, but as a beginner, focusing your efforts on learning the big lifts is a great way to go.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The term you're looking for is accessory lifts, not assistance lifts.

Here is the bottom line: Regardless of your goals, until you reach an intermediate to advanced level with your lifting, you won't see much benefit at all from the "accessory lifts." Doing a program that has you training 3 days a week focusing exclusively on compound lifts will take you farther toward your goals--whatever they may be--until you reach a far more advanced level than you are currently at. Because it is how you build the strength needed to carry you through more advanced programs that involve splits, or placing a greater emphasis on accessory lifts. And even then, whether or not you need to depends entirely on your goals. Working in splits has its benefits for more intermediate to advanced users, but, to be honest, the way the knowledge has filtered down to beginners who think they're doing themselves favors by doing it as opposed to compounds is just silly as it served virtually no purpose.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think you said you've been lifting two weeks?

Since you're very new to lifting (or perhaps just starting back if you were a lifter before), it seems like sticking with a solid compound lifting program would be your best bet. If you don't like Starting Strength for some reason, look at Stronglifts 5x5 (very similar, however). New Rules of Lifting for Women adds a bunch of other lifts, and a lot of women seem to like that program. Maybe you should look into it. But honestly, staying with something very straightforward in the beginning isn't bad advice, nor is the advice just a bunch of people who are SS or SL fanboys/girls going on about their favourite program. There are reasons the compound lifting programs are viewed as "holy grails". They work your whole body, teach you how to lift, and are not cluttered with a bunch of stuff you don't need as a newbie lifter.
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    Options
    I think you said you've been lifting two weeks?

Since you're very new to lifting (or perhaps just starting back if you were a lifter before), it seems like sticking with a solid compound lifting program would be your best bet. If you don't like Starting Strength for some reason, look at Stronglifts 5x5 (very similar, however). New Rules of Lifting for Women adds a bunch of other lifts, and a lot of women seem to like that program. Maybe you should look into it. But honestly, staying with something very straightforward in the beginning isn't bad advice, nor is the advice just a bunch of people who are SS or SL fanboys/girls going on about their favourite program. There are reasons the compound lifting programs are viewed as "holy grails". They work your whole body, teach you how to lift, and are not cluttered with a bunch of stuff you don't need as a newbie lifter.

I have been lifting for longer, started SS two weeks ago.
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    Options
    A typically spilt routine i generally like is Chest, Shoulders, Tri's on day, Back and biceps one day, and legs on their own. This seems to be a pretty well rounded routine. And I'm not huge into classifying any lift other than "compound" lifts as "assistance." I just call them exercises or moves. I think they're all important in their own right (for the most part).

Yeah I put together what I think is a reasonable split routine like you mentioned. I used the word assistance b/c that's what the author refers to them as in SS. I too think they're important, and am wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice by not incorporating more lifts into my routine besides the 5 compounds he suggests.

I personally feel as though you can gain a lot by doing more than just the main 5 compound lifts. That's how I've lifted my entire life and I love it. It's also very simple to complete a split routine incorporating compound as well as other movements into a timeframe of about 45 minutes to an hour so I see no reason for not doing it since that is a little bit of time for a lot of gain.

My conclusion after reading the replies is that there are really two different groups of people on here, which is fine. I can see the benefits to sticking with the compound lifts, and why people choose to do so. But it's not for me. Like you, I think there's benefit to incorporating accessory/isolation lifts and making a program that covers it all. Thanks for validating this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    well, this went well
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    well, this went well

HAHA. Surprised?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My conclusion after reading the replies is that there are really two different groups of people on here, which is fine. I can see the benefits to sticking with the compound lifts, and why people choose to do so. But it's not for me. Like you, I think there's benefit to incorporating accessory/isolation lifts and making a program that covers it all. Thanks for validating this.

I think the majority of people did not validate it... :(