Why am I getting the shakes so badly?

Options
124»

Replies

• wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If the shakes stop after you eat, then you probably aren't eating enough in the morning.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am going at about 1500 calories per day
    Found the problem...

I get the shakes most days if I am under 2400 calories...... You're a man, so eat like a man.

Im with this guy!!!! EAT!!!

Yep, you're not eating enough. For a few days, add a few hundred calories back to your diet and see if you still get the shakes. I will bet that you don't. Meaning, you're not eating enough and your running on empty by the time you do eat.

Thank you for being sensible. All the people saying "OMG GET TO A DOCTOR YOU ARE HYPERGLYCEMIC AND YOU'RE GOING TO DIE" were getting irritating. I was assuming it was because of the change in my diet, but I was trying to hammer down exactly what.

No problem. I went through this went I dropped my calories down to 1200. Thought I was going to die. Bumped up to 1500 and was fine as wine!! :wink:

I should add that I'm a 5'4" female and only had 8 pounds to lose (I weighed 128 pounds), so that's why 1500 worked for me
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Found the problem...

I get the shakes most days if I am under 2400 calories...... You're a man, so eat like a man.

Yep, you're not eating enough. For a few days, add a few hundred calories back to your diet and see if you still get the shakes. I will bet that you don't. Meaning, you're not eating enough and your running on empty by the time you do eat.

LIKE I SAID on page one. EAT MORE.

A man shouldn't be eating under 1800 - ever.

A man who has any kind of job shouldn't be eating under 2100 - ever - unless he is morbidly obese, and even then the low recommendation is still 1800. Eat more and you will stop shaking.

Peace, out. Good luck.

Here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Yup. My husband tracks calories here. He's set to lose 1.5 lbs per week and he eats at least 1800 calories plus exercise calories. Maybe try a gradual increase to the point where you're no longer shaky.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're going to hear anything new here at this point. Basically you may or may not have hypoglycemia. Since this just started happening once you cut cals, I'm guessing it's not hypoglycemia but that you are not eating enough. You're profile says that you are a 24 year old male...1500 calories is no way enough food for you. I am a 29 year old 5'5 female and I eat 1700 calories a day and am losing. You need to up those suckers!

And since the question you're trying to have answered is whether or not this could be sugar withdrawals, the answer is "possibly but not likely".

:smile:
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    Found the problem...

LIKE I SAID on page one. EAT MORE.

A man shouldn't be eating under 1800 - ever.

A man who has any kind of job shouldn't be eating under 2100 - ever - unless he is morbidly obese, and even then the low recommendation is still 1800. Eat more and you will stop shaking.

Peace, out. Good luck.

Here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Oh I wasn't ruling out your input at all. I appreciated it greatly! I was just inundated with people assuming I needed to go to the damn doctor over the shakes. If I went to the doctor every time I was suggested to online I would just sell my house and stay the night every night.
  • dollada06
    Options
    I don't think you're going to hear anything new here at this point. Basically you may or may not have hypoglycemia. Since this just started happening once you cut cals, I'm guessing it's not hypoglycemia but that you are not eating enough. You're profile says that you are a 24 year old male...1500 calories is no way enough food for you. I am a 29 year old 5'5 female and I eat 1700 calories a day and am losing. You need to up those suckers!

And since the question you're trying to have answered is whether or not this could be sugar withdrawals, the answer is "possibly but not likely".

:smile:

Haha I havent heard much new since page 1. Like I said I knew it was a deficiency of some sort rather than a medical issue. I am pretty new to MFP so when I set my work-style to sedentary and it came up with 1500 calories/day I just assumed that was the proper recommendation.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't appeal to our "expertise." Appeal to your doctor's.

What he said see your doctor!!! It could be more than sugar withdrawls..So please make an appointment to see your Dr!!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    :yawn: I want my 5 minutes back!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    OK, look, you seem to be listening to the people who know what they're talking about and not overcomplicating the issue or repeating things that are likely already ruled out. That's great! But now, let's figure out what you should be eating - MyFitnessPal puts people too low, ALL the damn time.

Go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator and punch in your values. BE HONEST and as close to accurate as possible. You'll get a number. If you want to lose weight, take 10-20% off of that number, and eat that every day (and don't eat back exercise calories).

My guess is it'll be 2200 or more, and that's with me not knowing anything about your activity level, only that you're a 24-year old man.

My wife eats 2000 ish. My 4-month old son probably eats more than 1500 calories of breastmilk every day.

Don't be scared of food!
  • dollada06
    Options
    Don't appeal to our "expertise." Appeal to your doctor's.

What he said see your doctor!!! It could be more than sugar withdrawls..So please make an appointment to see your Dr!!

Well since it has been established that it is unlikely a sugar withdrawl I am going to kindly ignore your advice and focus on the only thing in my life that has changed....my lacking intake of nutrients due to too low of calories suggested by multiple people.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do have doctor-diagnosed hypoglycemia. Here's the thing... hypoglycemia most often results from too much insulin, which is the result of habitually eating too much sugar/carbs. You need some time of eating fewer carbs and much more protein and fat (MFP does not allow for very much of either, so talk to a nutritionist about how much YOUR body needs, and then change your settings accordingly), in order to get your body used to the idea of not producing so much insulin. In a way, it's a type of "withdrawl" but not in the same way we think of drugs and caffeine and what-not. There is such a thing as chemical dependency on sugar, but more often, it's that your body is used to making more insulin than what you currently need. so by cutting down your sugar and taking in a great deal more protein and fat, you will re-train your body to produce less insulin, but it will take time.
  • dollada06
    Options
    OK, look, you seem to be listening to the people who know what they're talking about and not overcomplicating the issue or repeating things that are likely already ruled out. That's great! But now, let's figure out what you should be eating - MyFitnessPal puts people too low, ALL the damn time.

Go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator and punch in your values. BE HONEST and as close to accurate as possible. You'll get a number. If you want to lose weight, take 10-20% off of that number, and eat that every day (and don't eat back exercise calories).

My guess is it'll be 2200 or more, and that's with me not knowing anything about your activity level, only that you're a 24-year old man.

My wife eats 2000 ish. My 4-month old son probably eats more than 1500 calories of breastmilk every day.

Don't be scared of food!

Thanks for the help! I will check that out. Thanks to everyone that didn't say "GO TO THE DOCTOR ASAP". I already enjoy this community. I have gotten all the answers I need. I'm outta here!

/thread
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I obviously don't know how to quote. you can't be "tested" for hypoglycemia because typically you aren't always hypoglycemic. The only way to know for sure is to have your sugar tested right when you are having the symptoms. Otherwise, it won't tell you the full picture. I have normal blood sugar most of the time but if I keep my carbs and sugars high and my protein low I get hypoglycemic. shakes, sweats, unable to concentrate, etc, until I eat again and it stabilizes.

I've found if I keep my protein at least around 100g I can avoid this. I have to have lots of protein early in the day. I would swap out the English muffin and juice for maybe eggs, milk, greek yogurt, etc. Something with a lot more protein and see if you feel any better.

I know nothing about the process. The vampire lady came in. Took my blood and "tested" it for hyper and/or hypothyroid because it runs in my family. When I was told about the results they said that in addition to not having thyroid problems I wasn't hypoglycemic. Now--whether they meant AT THAT VERY MOMENT I have no clue. I know nothing. They said I am not hypoglycemic and I said "Woo Hoo" inside and assumed I wasn't.

My thyroid is fine; I'm still reactive hypoglycemic.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Found the problem...

My TDEE as a lightly active 5'4" female is over 2000. At sedentary I'm at about 1700-1800. Eat more.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, the "eat more" people and the "low blood sugar" people are essentially telling you the same thing. It's just a different method of getting there. Eating more will help keep your blood sugar elevated and keep you comfortable, as long as you're eating healthy food (ie, watching your macros). You can have blood sugar ups and downs that affect you without generating a medical diagnosis. If you keep notes in your diary here it might help you track when you have shakes.

Regarding juice, I worked for some time with a nutritionist who said ' if you're going to have juice for breakfast you might as well have a coke, it affects your body the same way. And you wouldn't have coke for breakfast." Actually, I would have coke for breakfast, but I got the point. Eat a piece of fruit along with some protein and a complex carb.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    No idea what to add. Clearly you didn't want to hear anything anyone else already said because you've already explained why none of it can possibly be right. You win. Move on.

.......all I did was rule out possibilities.....I was just tested for hyperglycemia so it is possible, but unlikely. I eat enough protein so I am safely assuming it isn't that. I have been all ears here. I was just ruling out possibilites that are unlikely.

Someone asked or at least mentioned how they tested you for hypoglycemia? Was it a fasting blood test? Did your doc include the test for hypoglycemia in a whole panel of tests or was he looking specifically for that? I ask because people have mentioned reactive types...in which sugary foods...even sugars from natural sources...cause an insulin spike then the big blood sugar drop...I can have this response if i eat fruit with no protein...the other night I ate about 20 strawberries and had a worse hypoglycemic reaction than i would have eating a bag of m&m's....I find that if I eat an apple and a string cheese...or carrots and almonds...or grapes with cashews I do far better than if i eat the fruit all by itself...I would not test positive for hypoglycemia but did about 18 years ago before I stopped eating meat and figured out how to feed ME....(I have difficulty digesting meat properly)... I remember what that hypoglycemic feeling is like.

Another thing to look into might be your blood pressure....when mine is low I get light headed and woozy...