Has the whole world been brainwashed?

Options

Replies

• CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Grits are ground corn, and they are very popular in the southeastern U.S. primarily as a breakfast food, though you really haven't experienced Southern cousin until you've had shrimp and grits. They remain a regional staple. I grew up on them and love them.
    I always that grits were made of wheat. Guess that's why I'm a Yankee-girl.
    I'm a Yankee, married to a Southerner. I'll never forget the first time I went to visit his family and saw Quaker Instant Grits in the grocery store. Like, who knew they existed?
    According to the Historical Documents I have been watching, centered around a small diner in Arizona, 'grits' refers to a woman's buttocks.

^You. Subtle genius.
  • wannawear
    Options
    This is a great point actually!! People don't think or realize that what they eat effects not only their physical appearance( weight) but their minds, energy, hair, skin.... Everything!

People are suppose to eat raw foods. Veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, grains like rice, quinoa, millet... Not wheat. Meat.... I don't think so.. Maybe fish but when we eat large amounts of meat, those specific protiens screw with our bodies. And your right, dairy is something we can't digest properly. People now eat because it is an addiction, or whatever the reason ( processed food taste so good) not because they are hungry. We are suppose to eat for energy, not because we are hungry.

I personally think that alot of doctors may not know the importance of eating "clean" or perhaps they have given up trying to convice people to change. Hey! After watching "super size me" people still eat mcDonalds food so it doesnt matter what you do, people will only change what they eat, if they want to.

I also think all the processed foods, chemicals, additives, preservatives play a big part in all our disesases... Cancer!!

A good book that supports this is " you are what you eat" by Gillian mckeith.

Good point! And we have been brainwashed!!

Hopefully this wont end up like Pandora's box, but what specific proteins are you talking about that makes meat not something we should eat?
  • wannawear
    Options
    Red meats are high in saturated fats and high protien meats increase dopamine and norepinephrine and the both are associated with high levels of anxiety and stress. Saturated animail fats turn to stone inside ur body and cause arteries to harden. They raise blood pressure and mess with blood sugar levels
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Red meats are high in saturated fats and high protien meats increase dopamine and norepinephrine and the both are associated with high levels of anxiety and stress. Saturated animail fats turn to stone inside ur body and cause arteries to harden. They raise blood pressure and mess with blood sugar levels

Sarcasm I assume?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    And they will send text messages breaking up with your SO, put sugar in your gas tank, overfeed your fish, and delete critical files from your hard drives.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Terms like paleo automatically make me think you're brainwashed. So, yes I agree.
    Yeah, kinda, pretty much exactly.

Most people aren't so much brainwashed as they are basically uneducated. A little education without much perspective sends a person quickly into brainwashed turf, however.

I nominate this my favorite quote of the day. So much truth so simply put!!

As far as the paleo thing, my ancestors spent tens of thousands of years selectively breeding so that I could comfortably eat cheese today and there is no way I'm going to thumb my nose at them by not eating cheese.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    Terms like paleo automatically make me think you're brainwashed. So, yes I agree.
    Yeah, kinda, pretty much exactly.

Most people aren't so much brainwashed as they are basically uneducated. A little education without much perspective sends a person quickly into brainwashed turf, however.

I nominate this my favorite quote of the day. So much truth so simply put!!

As far as the paleo thing, my ancestors spent tens of thousands of years selectively breeding so that I could comfortably eat cheese today and there is no way I'm going to thumb my nose at them by not eating cheese.

Haha, I like this
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Saturated animail fats turn to stone inside ur body and cause arteries to harden.
    Turn to stone? Are you eating Medusa?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I cannot literally believe some of the things I hear or read about nutrition and diet. Everything is so contradicting and I now have to question everything that I've ever believed.

Surely I am not the only one that feels this way?

Okay, so I don't have the cleanest diet yet, but I'm getting there. By clean, I mean relatively paleo

But WHY are doctors and nutritionists telling us this!

It's not rocket science is it. All this unnatural, processed food (wheat and dairy included), how can this possibly be good for us when we aren't actually designed to eat it. You'd consider feeding a lion fruit pastels outrageous right?

Yet few people seemed to have considered the effect of what they eat.

It makes me feel disgusted, I want to question everything!!!

because "clean eating" is just scientifically not justified.. u think the body can tell if the micronutrients/macronutrients come from organic vegetables or non-organic vegetables? organic bread, or non organic bread? white potatoes or sweet potatoes? brown rice or white rice? cashews or almonds? farm raised beef or hormone beef?

no

does the stomach have a camera that sees u eating pizza and says this is going straight to fat storage?

no

sure there are health scares with eating mass produced food with hormones, pesticides or whatever but do you know how much you would have to consume to yield any type of health damages?? and how would you know the health problems are from the food and not your extremely large portions, lack of exercise, and smoking habits??

outside of things like trans fats, and HFCS, its mostly speculated with no REAL data on the issue, anyone can pick and choose studies on this and the real key to optimal health is

....exercise and moderation.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I believe MFP employees set up accounts and post vague posts to start 20 page threads and drive traffic to the site.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    I cannot literally believe some of the things I hear or read about nutrition and diet. Everything is so contradicting and I now have to question everything that I've ever believed.

Okay, so I don't have the cleanest diet yet, but I'm getting there. By clean, I mean relatively paleo

It's not rocket science is it. All this unnatural, processed food (wheat and dairy included), how can this possibly be good for us when we aren't actually designed to eat it. You'd consider feeding a lion fruit pastels outrageous right?

because "clean eating" is just scientifically not justified.. u think the body can tell if the micronutrients/macronutrients come from organic vegetables or non-organic vegetables? organic bread, or non organic bread? white potatoes or sweet potatoes? brown rice or white rice? cashews or almonds? farm raised beef or hormone beef?

no

does the stomach have a camera that sees u eating pizza and says this is going straight to fat storage?

no

sure there are health scares with eating mass produced food with hormones, pesticides or whatever but do you know how much you would have to consume to yield any type of health damages?? and how would you know the health problems are from the food and not your extremely large portions, lack of exercise, and smoking habits??

outside of things like trans fats, and HFCS, its mostly speculated with no REAL data on the issue, anyone can pick and choose studies on this and the real key to optimal health is

I disagree. one example. Grass fed beef vs grain/corn fed has a much higher omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. The majority of the fat found in non grass fed beef is polyunsaturated which can cause inflammation and damage to the artery walls in those quantities. All observational studies I've read do them on normal beef, not grass fed. This is why said studies tell people to shy away from fat and meat. This however is not the same thing at all as grass fed beef. There is a big difference, and it is very much so scientifically justified.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

no

no

I disagree. one example. Grass fed beef vs grain/corn fed has a much higher omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. The majority of the fat found in non grass fed beef is polyunsaturated which can cause inflammation and damage to the artery walls in those quantities. All observational studies I've read do them on normal beef, not grass fed. This is why said studies tell people to shy away from fat and meat. This however is not the same thing at all as grass fed beef. There is a big difference, and it is very much so scientifically justified.

yeh but is it worth the price paying for grass fed assuming you can get your omega 3s from other cheaper sources like canned tuna....... no
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I cant really talk cause I do eat some processed rubbish..but thats slowly changing......I know people who would get fast food every day, sometimes twice a day, and then complain about how they were getting bigger. Its not rocket science.

Plus I just loathe adverts and marketing people...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Plus I just loathe adverts and marketing people...
    And phone sanitizers!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, we have teeth that crush and tear, we have digestive systems that seem to pretty much process whatever we put through them....so, yes, I'd say we're "designed" to eat pretty much whatever we put in our bodies.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

no

no

Well then perhaps you should open a lab and conduct your own study.

Obviously this was obvious but not.

Ugh...

Care to post some sources to your claims?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    LMAO talks about brainwashing and is full blown paleo extremist....in b4 I lmao
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I believe MFP employees set up accounts and post vague posts to start 20 page threads and drive traffic to the site.

THIS
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Fruit pastels for those that are interested.

http://www.foodily.com/r/YhK4saxGw-hedgerow-fruit-pastels
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    In for the fruit pastels. Because they sound yummy and colorful.

How do we know lions don't like them, BTW?

Because lions are carnivores.

Dogs are too, but I have a Siberian Husky who goes berserk for carrots.