Has the whole world been brainwashed?

Options

Replies

• ellygolightly
    Options
    I don't really give a damn if the world IS brainwashed, as long as I look after me, that's all that should matter right?
    Ps. I'll have a fruit pastel too please :D
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, we have teeth that crush and tear, we have digestive systems that seem to pretty much process whatever we put through them....so, yes, I'd say we're "designed" to eat pretty much whatever we put in our bodies.

Also, I'd like to point out that I am not a lion, so, I feel like I'm not obligated to eat what alion eats.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    People are suppose to eat raw foods. Veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, grains like rice, quinoa, millet... Not wheat. Meat.... I don't think so..

Our dental structure would say otherwise - we have the meat eating teeth of other carnivores.

Of course, nothing wrong with choosing to be a vegetarian for whatever reason - but it isnt the way our bodies are designed.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I laugh at paleo. How long did those people live again... 20 years? And I'm sure they were all spending their time at the computer too.

^This. Those folks from the past were paleo because they had no choice.

Paleo, undoubtedly, also meant many different things depending on where in the world the people in question were.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Humans have been eating bread for 30,000 years. Seriously, get the heck over it.
  • heathermiller77715
    Options
    Cause it tastes so damn good ...I joke...I have no real answer

You may be closer to the truth than you might think. I have often felt that if a person's sense of taste and smell could be eliminated, they would only eat when hungry...and thus never overeat. Personally, I know for a fact that I have continued to stuff my face LONG AFTER I was full.:smile:

Where is the like button for this! I think like this all the time.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Next person who says, "Our bodies were not ment to do blah blah blah."

I'm gonna shoot a biology book at them.

Someone hit it right on the wicket. A little bit of education mixed with ignorance equals misinformation.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I always think about whether or not I could do all these new diets. And you know what? No. I cant. I enjoy food too much and limiting things I love, prime rib with au jus, cheesy potatoes, cheesecake, soda, cheese, beer, wine, sweets, deep fried goodness I mean really the list goes on.

You live once. Why would I want to deprive myself of things I love?
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Humans have been imbibing alcohol for over 10,000 years. There are wine crusted jars from Egypt and ancient Greece. Same goes for bread and grain products.

Although I avoid preservatives and refined sugar like the plague, and I stick to a lot of whole unadulterated produce / meat - I don't think it's necessarily brainwashing if people eat a lot of convenience / quick food. It's hard to find time to cook when both parents work outside of the home. Not all of the fast stuff is bad - a can of low sodium beans without preservatives and some plain greek yogurt are good for you.

I think low fat dairy is a nutritional powerhouse. Whole grains - without preservatives - are delicious and considered healthy by most of the nutritionists. I've experienced no ill effects from eating them, although I might cut them out for a week and see if there is any difference.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Next person who says, "Our bodies were not ment to do blah blah blah."

I'm gonna shoot a biology book at them.

Someone hit it right on the wicket. A little bit of education mixed with ignorance equals misinformation.

THIS you learn this from intro to bio and health sci class as a freshman LOL
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think our media has been overrun by self-proclaimed "experts" with vague to no credentials who are trying to sell us a product and justify their own TV show/blog/book/job description/whatever, and we're happily buying into their propaganda for whatever reason. Maybe we've forgotten how to trust our own better knowledge and prefer that someone else does all the thinking for us, who knows? Sad.

People have known how to eat for thousands of years and have survived, and even thrived, on whatever they were able to grow, hunt, herd, gather and/or trade. Still do. The basic mechanics of that have not changed; the only thing that's changed is the way we manipulate it and the scale on which we do it.

It's really not rocket science, or much science at all for that matter. It's common sense and instinct. We're omnivores, for good reason, cause we need to be in order to survive. Variety is where it's at. The rest is merely preference, so please stop beating on me with yours and I'll be more than happy to not beat on you with mine.

We all know how to eat. I mean really, come on. It's so simple, anybody can do it. If we get our head out of the media hype and propaganda long enough and just focus on the basics and pay attention to our bodies. They know.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's because there are very few absolutes in nutritional science (which in itself is a relatively new field) and we have a certain degree of biochemical individuality.

Reaching consensus will therefore be unlikely for many issues.

It is, to a large degree, finding what works for you through experimentation as a result.

THIS FTW!!!! Sir, you have just answered nearly every question ever asked on this web site. Well done, I say. Well done.
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    SO MANY PEOPLE could give a crap how healthy the food is, as long as it's tasty. Drives me NUTS because healthy food is DELICIOUS!!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    People are suppose to eat raw foods. Veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, grains like rice, quinoa, millet... Not wheat. Meat.... I don't think so..

F37F4A06-AB04-48B4-A182-2636FC1A9BD5-4085-00000653B188A81D.jpg
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've experienced no ill effects from eating them, although I might cut them out for a week and see if there is any difference.

Give it 2 weeks if you can-I didn't notice anything but intermittent misery when I quit wheat. But wham! 2 weeks to the day and I woke up feeling better than I can remember feeling in years.

Isn't there something about "it takes 2 weeks to form a good habit"?

Anyway, just my experience, thought I'd share.:drinker:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yet OP you forget that in your own diary you are eating WHEATBIX.

Busted? What do you think wheatbix are made of? I rest my case. I don't kinda like hypocrites
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    . A little education without much perspective sends a person quickly into brainwashed turf, however.

I nominate this my favorite quote of the day. So much truth so simply put!!

I second this.

Too often one spends a few hours learning about the role of insulin off Wikipedia and becomes the next new low-carb guru.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Next step is to give up ground constructed creature comforts like houses and take to the trees like our primate ancestors.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    As one of my professors once said: "A little bit of information is a dangerous thing".

There is no paleo diet. Early humans ate whatever they could get their hands on, which varied from place to place. The 'optimal' diet was whatever kept you alive long enough to have kids.
    Evolution is not survival of the fittest, it is survival of the minimally fit. You don't have to be the best to survive, you just have to be able to get by, and that is all our ancestors did. They got by.

Also, I didn't have to buy any books to eat my 'brainwashed' moderate diet, but I'm guessing there were more than a few copies of "The Paleo Diet" sold among this crowd.

For the record, I don't think its that bad of a diet...but it won't cure all your ills, nor is it the ONLY WAY to lose weight and be healthy.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I wish MFP had a 'like' button!