Is there a "healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could buy something like KerryGold cheese. It's real cheese.

KerryGold? I have never heard of it. I will have to check that out.

It's awesome, it's from Ireland. I think the cows are free-range or something fancy but the cheese is wonderful.

I think I will check that out.

I'm glad! It's very delicious and I find that I use less overall because the flavor is so pronounced (not in a bad way :) )
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options

It's awesome, it's from Ireland. I think the cows are free-range or something fancy but the cheese is wonderful.

I'm glad! It's very delicious and I find that I use less overall because the flavor is so pronounced (not in a bad way :) )

On your recommendation i'm gonna try it; however, if I bite into my sandwich and this cheese makes it taste like my gym-sock I'm gonna hunt you down :P
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Kraft Singles... I know they are not real cheese and frankly are pretty terrifying to think about, but they are just so tasty in scrambled eggs and grilled cheese. Don't you worry, I appreciate the good stuff too, but to each their own guilty pleasure, eh?
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I just buy the prepackaged sliced cheese - Kraft, Sargento or store brand. Sharp cheddar is my favorite. Also like colby jack.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

On your recommendation i'm gonna try it; however, if I bite into my sandwich and this cheese makes it taste like my gym-sock I'm gonna hunt you down :P

LOL if you find me I promise to refund your money. If you like slightly sharp, white cheese try the Dubliner.
  • freebird777
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, I would suggest checking out their cheese selections. They have great and yummy cheeses for a very fair price. I love TJs goat cheese and gouda. You will notice the difference in taste IMMEDIATELY.
  • SteamRoller72
    SteamRoller72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    none at all???

+1
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Anything besides American cheese. It's not even cheese

OMG THANK YOU. You've been such a big help!

Sorry to be a jerk, but don't you think I knew that? If I didn't know that I probably wouldn't have created a thread entitled "Is there a "Healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

I find this very frustrating. Go to a freaking store. Look at every other cheese in the case that isn't American Cheese. Pick one. Done. They're ALL healthier, and it's a big selection, so I don't understand why you want this thread to list them all. But if that's really what you want, here you go- everything not in the "processed" section is good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_cheese
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you're on the West Coast of the US, my go-to is Tillamook Cheddar slices. Real cheddar cheese, pre-sliced. It's not individually wrapped though.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    One of my go to meals working at a desk is just a simple deli-turkey sandwich with a slice of cheese, about a teaspoon of olive oil miracle whip and two thin pickle slices(just decided the pickles should probably go since they send my sodium through the roof). Anyway. My question is whether or not there is a more nutritious cheese to use than the Kraft Singles I am using. Any suggestions?

Also I don't want to drop an obscene amount of money on a pack of cheese if I can help it.

I use fat free Kraft singles if I must use American cheese. I love the lowfat Sargento cheeses--colby jack, swiss, provolone, and especially pepper jack. If you don't want added sodium, you can keep the fat and buy the low sodium Sargento flavors. They are all good.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Kraft Singles aren't cheese. ANY other "real" cheese would be better. I get 2% milk fat cheese (Kraft, Sargento, etc), they are just as tasty as the higher fat option.
  • dollada06
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Kraft Singles... I know they are not real cheese and frankly are pretty terrifying to think about, but they are just so tasty in scrambled eggs and grilled cheese. Don't you worry, I appreciate the good stuff too, but to each their own guilty pleasure, eh?

I completely understand. It's not that I don't like them. They just provide almost no nutritional value is all. And are loaded with Sodium.
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you are talking cheese slices for sandwiches I buy Land O Lakes 2% American Cheese at the deli counter.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Kerrygold Cheeses and butter (which is aweseome) are imported from Ireland. They are made from grassfed, free-range cattle. About as pure as you are going to get.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Good Heavens! Every non-processed cheese is healthier than Kraft Singles.

Yep, this!
  • SimpleThingsInLife
    Options
    I buy Tillamook Extra Sharp (Red one) at Sam's Club! It lasts a long time and is so delicious!
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love Feta. Even the reduced fat or non-fat variety taste good. It's about 60 or 70 cals an ounce for the full fat version I think.

I use it in everything--salads, wraps, eggs, burgers, chicken...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Good cheese costs money. I spend $10 for a block of KerryGold but it lasts me like 3 weeks. Worth it. :)

I totally agree with this. I understand you don't want to spend a lot of money but spending a few dollars more on good quality foods actually ends up going farther. For one, you are putting healthier things in your body. Two, you feel like you are eating like a king. Three, you learn to stretch what you buy and to buy only what you know you will use so the food doesn't rot in the fridge.
  • dollada06
    Options
    If you're on the West Coast of the US, my go-to is Tillamook Cheddar slices. Real cheddar cheese, pre-sliced. It's not individually wrapped though.

I am sadly in the midwest (Minnesota) so Tillamook may not be an option unfortunately. Many have suggested it though so I would love to try it. Im gonna look around tonight.