Is there a "healthier" cheese than the Kraft Singles?

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Probably every cheese ever is "healthier" than Kraft Singles...
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You could substitute a small amount of lite cream cheese if you were concerned about the price of an unprocessed cheese.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Go to the deli and have them slice cheese off a block for you. If you're looking for less fat and/or sodium, Boar's Head (and many other brands) make sodium-reduced and fat-reduced cheeses that are perfect for a sandwich.

If you're looking for better cheese all-around, well... just about anything is going to beat a Kraft Single. I'm partial to Beecher, Kerrygold and Cabot. I eat a ton of cheese!
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I eat Sargento thin sliced cheese. Kraft singles aren't even real cheese....it's "cheese product". Yuck
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like Sargento Ultra Thin Cheese - may flavors (Colby Jack, Milk Cheddar, Provolone, Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, Pepper Jack), They range from 40-45 calories a slice and although thin they are large squares and one slice is definately enough for my sandwich. They are very tasty as well!
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    One of my go to meals working at a desk is just a simple deli-turkey sandwich with a slice of cheese, about a teaspoon of olive oil miracle whip and two thin pickle slices(just decided the pickles should probably go since they send my sodium through the roof). Anyway. My question is whether or not there is a more nutritious cheese to use than the Kraft Singles I am using. Any suggestions?

Also I don't want to drop an obscene amount of money on a pack of cheese if I can help it.

The salt problem is from the deli turkey, not the pickles.

A whole Dill Pickle has around 250mg sodium. 2 slices is not significantly contributing to the sodium content of the sandwich.

2 oz deli turkey can have 500-700mg sodium. Even the Boar's head 47% reduced sodium has 350mg for 2 oz.

I'm goign to add you as a friend so we can discuss this further if that it ok haha.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you're on the West Coast of the US, my go-to is Tillamook Cheddar slices. Real cheddar cheese, pre-sliced. It's not individually wrapped though.

Tillamook is available throughout the country. I've seen it out here on the East Coast. (The reason I knew to look for it was because I lived in Portland for several years. Mmmm, Tillamook.)

Also, OP, you could try something like Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges. It's a softer cheese spread, in a number of flavors. It's probably marginally better than Kraft Singles, but with more flavor.
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i like to slap people in the face with kraft singles.....it sticks
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    Sargento has some cheese that is only 50 calories per slice. There is a Light Provolone and a Light Pepper Jack. That is all I buy for sandwiches now and even my husband likes them.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have switched to part-skim mozzarella for my cheese. It's healthier than regular cheddar or whatever.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Worked for Trader Joes for several years and no one beats their cheese prices and even their reduced fat cheese is fantastic.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If you like swiss cheese you might like Yarlsburg. I love to buy them presliced or in chunks. Great on sandwiches or with Triscuits.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I love Feta. Even the reduced fat or non-fat variety taste good. It's about 60 or 70 cals an ounce for the full fat version I think.

I use it in everything--salads, wraps, eggs, burgers, chicken...

I love feta cheese. I use the Athenos Sun-Dried tomato stuff on my salads. Although one piece plain makes me feel like I wanna die because it is disgusting plain lol.

add me to the feta cheese lovers list. Use it on everything from omelettes to salads.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and just try different cheeses out. Here are a few I like (some come sliced, others don't).
    Cheddar (aged or not, I prefer aged cheeses)
    Mozzerella (fresh or block, fresh is in water)
    Monterey Jack
    Fontina
    Meunster (sp?)
    Asiago
    Parmesan
    Parmesan Reggiano
    Brie
    Feta
    Goat Cheese
    Swiss (though I don't like emmental cheese)
    Cottage Cheese
    Ricotta

Also try a farmers market, my local FM has Amish cheese. It's pretty good. You'll have to check into fat/calorie content on these to be safe.

I'm sure there are more but these are all I could remember that I enjoy :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Good cheese costs money. I spend $10 for a block of KerryGold but it lasts me like 3 weeks. Worth it. :)

it doesn't expire in like 4 days?

Nope - cheese, especially if you store it wrapped in parchment paper, lasts a long time! After all, cheese is typically an aged food. A lot of the cheddars I prefer are aged 2-3 years before they even hit store shelves. Also, hard cheeses don't even really need to be refrigerated to stay fresh. We'll take a hunk of aged cheddar backpacking with us and eat off of it the whole week. It's a great source of fat, calories and protein when you have a high energy demand.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something like Kraft singles but real cheese rather than processed cheese food people have given some great suggestions. If you are trying to branch out and try different cheeses and good way to do that is at a large market that has a cheese section with an attendent....they will give you a taste of different cheeses for free and you can buy as small a quantity as you want.

My suggestion for a healthier sandwich all together is to cook your own turkey or chicken at home, cool, slice thin, and use it for the week of sandwiches. If you don't know how to do this and want more info on cooking it in a simple way, send me a message.

Also get some baby spinach in a package (Walmart or any grocery). Put some leaves of this on your sandwich for good vitamins and micro nutrients in the 'green'. Baby spinach has almost no taste and the flavors of meat, cheese, and miracle whip will totally disguise it.

I applaud your desire to increase the health of your meal plan. Good luck.

me too
  • red121968
    Options
    Sargento has had out for a time now the thinner slices at around 40 calories per slice. I try not to use alot of cheese but in sandwhiches, etc. I'll use a slice just to have the cheese taste and texture. I can't attest that it's a healthier cheese but as for my watching my calorie intake, it's a much better option that those Kraft singles. I usually go for provolone or swiss.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Worked for Trader Joes for several years and no one beats their cheese prices and even their reduced fat cheese is fantastic.

I'll second and third this!

And... it's real cheese.
  • dollada06
    dollada06 Posts: 41
    Options
    Sargento has had out for a time now the thinner slices at around 40 calories per slice. I try not to use alot of cheese but in sandwhiches, etc. I'll use a slice just to have the cheese taste and texture. I can't attest that it's a healthier cheese but as for my watching my calorie intake, it's a much better option that those Kraft singles. I usually go for provolone or swiss.

Thats the thing I noticed with singles. LOADED with sodium and low it anything nutritious. Kind of a bad choice for a sandwhich. Flavor it is fine in my opinion, but bad for anything related to health and weight loss.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you're on the West Coast of the US, my go-to is Tillamook Cheddar slices. Real cheddar cheese, pre-sliced. It's not individually wrapped though.

I am sadly in the midwest (Minnesota) so Tillamook may not be an option unfortunately. Many have suggested it though so I would love to try it. Im gonna look around tonight.

I am in Texas and we have Tillamook at our Wal-Mart, Sams and HEB.