sizes

Options

Replies

• bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think this whole thread just confirms that everyone is a different shape and heavy people may have big thighs and a tiny bust and light people can have HUGE knockers and tiny waists or whatever. And yes I agree - clothes manufacturers have crazy sizes!
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic, hope you don't mind, but I'm sure someone here can explain something to me. My male brain understands lofts of golf sand wedges etc but not certain other things.

What is the waist measurement of jeans derived from? I take a size 33" Levis and have for ages, though now they feel a bit sloppy and I could probably look at 32" next time I buy some. I definitely don't huff and puff or suck anything in to wear them, if anything they are a bit big.

Anyway recently I measured myself everywhere possible trying to figure what bit of me was 33". But no matter which circumference I tried, like hips, waist, etc the measurements seemed to measure more than my jeans waist size. Huh? Where does that 33" measurement come from?

Reason this is important, a friend is sending some Levis from the States (more variety, better quality, cheaper etc) and she said, "Are you sure you're 33. That sounds skinny, my men are much more than that." And I'm thinking "surely Levis measurements are the same anywhere in the world?" That's what started me on my measurement thing. And I'm confused. One thing, my butt and hips are defintely small. I still carry some fat on my stomach but not a real lot.

Ladies, which bit of me should I be measuring?

I'm not sure if this is any help, but when I was in high school and living in Toronto, there was a sign up in the Levis store saying "Ladies, would you like to lose 2 inches off your waist size?" Then in smaller print it went on to say they were resizing their womens jeans to reflect womens sizes, as mens jeans have a smaller difference between waist and hip measurements. So a womens size 33 would actually be a size 35 waist I think?

This was a veeeery long time ago, so I'm not sure how accurately I'm remembering this!

Also, I am a UK size 14 (sometimes a 16, sometimes a 12 - but rarely a 12) so a US size 10-12. I'm 5'3" and about 12st4 at the mo (172). I've always weighed a lot for my size though, as even when I was a size 10 (US 6) i weighed between 140-145lbs.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    UK
    5"6
    192lb
    14/16 top
    16 trousers
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i am 5"3.5' (i also hold tight to that 0.5 inch) :) and i weigh about 129...my closet is full of 6s and i can still wear some of them comfortably but i am noticing that they are getting a bit loose and sloppy so i am slowly transitioning to 4s!!!!!!!!!! :) i have more generous hips and thighs and i have been a 6/8 for a long time...i never thought that i would buy a size 4 so it is super exciting! however, refilling my closet is going to take some time :)
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic, hope you don't mind, but I'm sure someone here can explain something to me. My male brain understands lofts of golf sand wedges etc but not certain other things.

What is the waist measurement of jeans derived from? I take a size 33" Levis and have for ages, though now they feel a bit sloppy and I could probably look at 32" next time I buy some. I definitely don't huff and puff or suck anything in to wear them, if anything they are a bit big.

Anyway recently I measured myself everywhere possible trying to figure what bit of me was 33". But no matter which circumference I tried, like hips, waist, etc the measurements seemed to measure more than my jeans waist size. Huh? Where does that 33" measurement come from?

Reason this is important, a friend is sending some Levis from the States (more variety, better quality, cheaper etc) and she said, "Are you sure you're 33. That sounds skinny, my men are much more than that." And I'm thinking "surely Levis measurements are the same anywhere in the world?" That's what started me on my measurement thing. And I'm confused. One thing, my butt and hips are defintely small. I still carry some fat on my stomach but not a real lot.

Ladies, which bit of me should I be measuring?

I'm not sure if this is any help, but when I was in high school and living in Toronto, there was a sign up in the Levis store saying "Ladies, would you like to lose 2 inches off your waist size?" Then in smaller print it went on to say they were resizing their womens jeans to reflect womens sizes, as mens jeans have a smaller difference between waist and hip measurements. So a womens size 33 would actually be a size 35 waist I think?

This was a veeeery long time ago, so I'm not sure how accurately I'm remembering this!

Also, I am a UK size 14 (sometimes a 16, sometimes a 12 - but rarely a 12) so a US size 10-12. I'm 5'3" and about 12st4 at the mo (172). I've always weighed a lot for my size though, as even when I was a size 10 (US 6) i weighed between 140-145lbs.

i vaguely remember this happening as well...just the slogan of magically erasing numbers lol
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm in the U.S. - 5'8'' 150 pounds and about a size 10...some places a 12. I have an hourglass figure also, so my size is never going to be really small because of my hips. Which is A-OK with me :)

I feel ya on that! When I was the perfect weight in high school I thought I was fat because I wore around a size 6 and all my friends complained about size 2. Now I'm dying to wear 6 regularly and I've accepted that a big butt and hips is okay. :laugh:

I'm 5'1.5" and currently 134 and wear around a size 9...I think. I hate women's pants sizes!! One of my biggest gripes is just how inconsistent the sizes are, even in the same brand! The other day I bought some Mossimo jeans and a pair of shorts. Same brand, but the pants are perfect at size 9 and the shorts are great at size 6. :ohwell: But all of my old pants from before I started losing weight are size 10 and are at least a size and a half too big.

WTB mens pants size measurements, lol.
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    I am 5'2 and weight 161.6. I wear a size 10 comfortably now. I started out at 192 at a size 18 so...I'm quite proud of wearing a 10!! :bigsmile:

Although I can't wait to be a size 8. *come oooon single digits!* :wink:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Just curious. Are these Stretch Jeans? I only wear stretch jeans. :wink:

USA
    5'4"
    145 lbs.
    7/8 stretch - "Dereon" Jeans
    Size 8 in slacks, skirts and dresses :happy:

I have on size 9 - "Sean Johns" jeans today and they are baggy. I'm Apple Shape.

When I started at 185 lbs. I wore a tight 12 (stretch)... Latinas always take it to the "Jeans Limit" :laugh:

BTW, When I worked for Fleet Street on 7th Ave, NYC. If the order was for 10 dozen size 9's and we were short by a few pieces, they would change the size tag to accomodate the order. Deceptive, but I just worked there :ohwell:
  • shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    Options
    USA

5'9"
    190ish lbs.

Size 14 pants, size 12 dress.

I don't think I'll ever wear below a 12 because I've got some hips! but that's okay, i like 'em. :blushing:
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    I am 5' and I weight 150lbs. My fav pair of jeans I got from Maurices and they are a 7/8!!!!!! I wear a size m/l in shirts depending on the fit because i'm big on top. I relaize that Maurices sizes tend to be big but the day i bought a size 7/8 i screamed in the fitting room with JOY! I was a size 7 prebaby and last year I was still in a size 14/16. I still have some 12's skirts that fit great, but i like for them to fit loose around my hips.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    US-5'4" weight 128...wear 4's and some 2's. I try on everything. I have a problem with lots of bottoms being too big in the crotch, I do go to the petite dept. when/where I can.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'ish... My average weight is around 140 lbs... I typically wear a size 6, but recently was able to get into all of my size 4 skirts and a few size 4 pants comfortably. I'm pretty muscular and I tend to have problems finding pants/jeans that are small enough for my waist but aren't skin tight through my thighs!

Anyone have any suggestions for jeans to try??
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm currently 126 pounds, and wearing a size 4 or 6, depending on the item. I'm hoping to be comfortably in a size 4 in most things. Almost there :)

Congrats to everyone here on your amazing weight loss!
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and 145 and I wear a size 9. But I can fir from a 6 to a 10. I want to get back down to 130 and wear a 5 or 7.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    USA
    5'8"
    287 lbs
    Size 20-22 ish right now (hard to say since most 22's are too big, but some 20's are too small)
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Ok well I'm going to go ahead and represent the current "bigger girls" out there who aren't posting on this thread! (I CANNOT wait until the day I can complain that I can *only* fit into a size 10- I can't even imagine right now! lol)

5'7" (somehow I shrunk- because I was always 5'8")
    Current weight today: 297.5

Top Sizes 26/28
    Pants Size 22/24 (although since i'm back up to 297 they are pretty snug.. they fit much better when i was 10 more lbs down)

I really cannot wait until I can walk into a store and
    (1) Have it not be Lane Bryant
    (2) Not automatically have to look for the largest size they have
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'ish... My average weight is around 140 lbs... I typically wear a size 6, but recently was able to get into all of my size 4 skirts and a few size 4 pants comfortably. I'm pretty muscular and I tend to have problems finding pants/jeans that are small enough for my waist but aren't skin tight through my thighs!

Anyone have any suggestions for jeans to try??

though i am shorter from the sounds of it i am built the same way with muscular thighs and a smaller waist and express jeans have always fit me well...i think the stella fit is what mine are currently...even though i am 'curvy' i have a hard time wearing curvy fit pants because they make my hips and thighs look huge! :)
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    5'5.5"
    228lbs
    size 18 (US)

altho i will say that when i was 199lbs i was a 12/14. i'm hourglass shaped so it depends on what i'm buyin as well. i want 2 get 2 a size 8 but it may be smaller than that. but i'm not really fixed on sizes but i don't wanna b 2 small such as a size 4. i :heart: my curves :happy:
  • badrianne
    badrianne Posts: 101
    Options
    Im 5'7" 139lbs and can either wear a 2, 4, or 6 depending on who makes the cloths.... i want to be a solid 2 again no matter what!

This is why I don't buy into the whole size thing. I'm 5'7 and 130 and wear a solid 6. No way I could fit into a 4 or 2.

Too many manufacturers have vanity sizing these days.

This is me as well. I am also 5'7 but 139 and I wear an 8 that fits. I have large hips, too. My thighs would laugh in the face of a size two!!
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    561/2
    169lsn
    size 8