People are dropping like flies

Options

Replies

• theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I have found that if you cannot get motivation from yourself, you are going to have problems.
    This.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I have been logging on since early March 2012. Was too hours to late on 9/28/12 after I had surgery, so they docked me a day. Me, I had weight loss surgery on 9/27 and a few friends were offended, so they are gone. I find that there are just so many good hearted people out there. Good luck!

Hey its ok, its always a struggle, the surgery only helps
    speaking as a 8 year RNY post op, who has nearly regained it all ..
    HUGS and Motivation
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP now for almost 3 months. When I first joined I accepted many peoples request for motivation buddies. Low and behold, they are now gone :( I thought that it would be easier to have others to rely on for motivation and support, but they can not help me if they are unwilling to help themselves. I have logged everyday since I have joined. I am proud of myself for sticking with it and are happy to see 25 pounds off myself. I feel good for the first time, in a long time, about myself. It is great if you can find people who are dedicated o losing the weight, but if you can't you must be dedicated to yourself. This is my journey and I will do by myself if I have to, because I love myself enough to do so.

oh you added a bunch of the January resolutioners....that happens...it's ok....they will be back when they have a wedding in 2 months, or need that bikini body in two weeks or just before Thanksgiving/Xmas and if not at any of these junctures they will be back next New Years, bright and early.

Congratulations to you for swimming through all the swimmers and making it to the big pool....
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am a second time MFP-er. I joined in 2011 when my daughter was born. Had issues with exercise because my hormone levels were out of whack. Gave up and quit. I started back in January this year, and have had success since then. So yeah, people drop like flies until they realize that something has to happen, then they come back.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in every day since I joined, but I have logged in regularly. For a lot of people the realization that you can't eat McDondalds whenever you feel like it is a deal breaker.

Actually you can, you just need to work it into your day. There is no reason why you can't have McD's when you feel like it. I choose not to because it makes me feel sick but there is no rule saying you can't have it.
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi - I joined again recently, and I know people have to try several times before sticking. So - here I am and I can support you!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem.. All my "friends" disappeared. Feel free to add me if you like. I log in daily and give support!!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This is my journey and I will do by myself if I have to, because I love myself enough to do so.

This.

A million times over. Sounds like you're on track.

Well done.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think MFP works well but it is a two way street. You can get support from your friends but you have to be there for them too. I check my friends list daily to see who hasn't logged in in 3 days and send a message to them asking if everything is okay and offering to bend an ear.

That's a great idea. I think I'm going to start doing that too!!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP now for almost 3 months. When I first joined I accepted many peoples request for motivation buddies. Low and behold, they are now gone :( I thought that it would be easier to have others to rely on for motivation and support, but they can not help me if they are unwilling to help themselves. I have logged everyday since I have joined. I am proud of myself for sticking with it and are happy to see 25 pounds off myself. I feel good for the first time, in a long time, about myself. It is great if you can find people who are dedicated o losing the weight, but if you can't you must be dedicated to yourself. This is my journey and I will do by myself if I have to, because I love myself enough to do so.

Anyone can add me, I'm not going anywhere. How do I know? Because I joined with no weight to lose! I only joined to encourage my family to log. Of course, I lost 5 lbs running and with Jillian's 30 Day Shred but it wasn't intended. I log daily and have an open diary. 400+ days (although my ticker says 100 because I missed a day) :)

ETA: Oh and I love to run. I run 2-3 half-marathons a year plus other races like the Warrior Dash.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've been here since *runs off to look* holy cow, Feb 2010. I've dropped out, came back, failed, succeeded et al more times than I like to admit. It comes in waves around here. You'll see another big jump around the end of Spring too.

I know I've lost some great and inspirational people along the way due to my slacking, but I've also had some great and inspirational people stick with me even when I do drop off the face of the planet. They can't do it for me, but it's nice to see when I come back.
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too seem to be having the same issue..I have a couple that are active and the rest have disappeared..but I have to understand..it is not time for their journey they are not prepared. I AM AND WILL continue on..alone or with others, I'll get healthier and in shape.

In the end, only we can make the choices, suffer the consequences, or enjoy the rewards-it's up to us. I sent you a request, I'll support you (or anyone else looking for more active friends)..
  • rainbowtothesrarz
    rainbowtothesrarz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have logged everyday for 525 days! I have seen people come and go often. In the end its always just me here :D find something that keeps you motivated besides people and you will be alright
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Not logging in regularly may not equal quitting, life is for living, not logging in, keep smiling :tongue:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they found out is was hard work. Add me - I am in for the long haul.
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on going anywhere! I lost several of my daily commentators after about a week too..but its not really about them, its about me! That being said, I love support as much as the next gal, so anyone who wants to throw a request my way will be accepted. :D

Dont let it get you down! Like you said, you don't need em!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think MFP works well but it is a two way street. You can get support from your friends but you have to be there for them too. I check my friends list daily to see who hasn't logged in in 3 days and send a message to them asking if everything is okay and offering to bend an ear.

This. I was deleted for not logging on for 3 days while on vacation in MI to see my family. I was getting charged an international rate since I was so close to Canada. When I came home, several people deleted me. Again, it had only been three days. I have had several friends come back after not being on for a while, so I don't delete people. Also, you said you joined 3 months ago. Some people may have given up on their new year's resolutions. Could be that too?
  • raecork
    raecork Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To be quite honest, speaking for myself. I find the tracking tools are very helpful and keep me accountable, it is the wake up call one needs to realize what it's going to take to be and stay healthy. But for the most part I am hesitant to post anything on the message boards, and get frustrated reading the message boards on here most days. and so then I avoid them, until I see a topic that interests me, then once again I remember why I have been avoiding them. Not everyone is here to give inspiration or be supportive in a constructive way. And I am only guessing here but some people will choose other options for this very reason and be just as successful. But as many here have posted some may have been new year's resolutioners. Maybe some are just here to use the tools the site provides and nothing else, and use the other social media sites out there to interact with others on.
    Good luck on your continued Journey, You have done an amazing job so far!! your commitment to yourself is key!! I was told once that others cannot motivate you, only inspire. I see others success on here and that 's what inspires me to motivate myself to be healthy!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS to you for hanging on when everyone else fell off the face of the earth! :wink:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Isn't that why everyone is doing it? I certainly hope nobody is losing weight to placate some internet friends they have never met irl...