My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    How about de-facing the baby? No more scratches on the face.

I'm sorry but it's cruel to mutilate an animal. I would suggest getting claw caps or finding it a loving home oppose to declawing it...how much can you really love something to harm it like that? Also declawed cats poop all over the house because the litter hurts their paws.

Are you being serious? So it's completely OK for a cat to do that to a baby? If I ever had a cat or any kind of animal and it did that to my kid....I would sell it to the first chinese restaurant I see.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    While I don't typically agree with declawing, if you really wanted to keep the cat and ensure that your little one doesn't get hurt, I think I could make an exception in this case.

Claw clipping could "help" but it's not going to solve the problem, they can still scratch though the scratches won't be as bad with blunt claws. Also consider that your cat might not even let you do that, depending on it's personality. The same thing goes for those rubber tip thingies. Though they might be a great solution, kitteh might kill you in the process!

What a situation to be in...it's hard for me to even think of one solid suggestion for you. I have two cats and can't imagine what I would do in your predicament. However, I can safely say that baby's welfare needs to come first...so...I would go with the following suggestions (in this order:

Try to clip/tip, see how that works for you.
    Give kitty a squirt from a water bottle when he's near the baby and say NO!...hopefully he'll associate the squirt with baby and keep his distance. Hell, I taught both of mine to give paw and that's much harder! :laugh:
    Declaw or find a new good home if all else fails.

Good luck!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If it's a territory issue isn't it a risk to have her around the baby, declawed or not?

yes, and no.
    if you declaw a cat, and it feels threatened, it will bite.

but cats can be trained.

it's an old cat though, training won't be easy.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to get rid or her or declaw her. Declawing is, without a doubt, pretty damn awful. They do, however, make these rubber cap things called "Soft Paws" that you can glue to your kitty's claws after to trim them which make it so she can't scratch things. As you said, also make sure she has an escape route at all times. It doesn't sound as though she was being malicious. She just felt cornered and lashed out.

I also agree with maab_connor. It's never to early to teach your child how to act around an animal. You can always expect an animal to act like an animal, but it's difficult to gauge what a human is going to do. Your son should be old enough to understand that playing rough with an animal is going to terrify it and trigger nasty consequences.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    declaw the cat. I am an animal lover and have rescued stray dogs and cats just in case ppl start flaming me.

I would do this.

Agreed.

I was circumcised.

I got over it.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    I would get the cat declawed. Even if you are against it or typically don't think it's necessary, it seems to be the best option.

Putting the cat outside when it's typically been an indoor cat IS irresponsible and you're putting the cat at risk.

Giving it away to a non-kill shelter won't be easy as most don't take in owner surrendered cats because they are full to capacity with strays (I am a animal shelter volunteer and cat rescuer.)

Giving it away to just turn around and get another cat is even more irresponsible, especially since you said "a baby kitten." Take it from me, I just adopted a 3 legged 6 month old cat from an abuse situation (how he lost his leg) who is the SWEETEST kitten you'll ever come across but he still bites, scratches, claws at stuff and plays just like ALL kittens will. Just because you get a kitten who someone says is good with kids, doesn't guarantee he/she won't scratch at them, it's natural instinct.

Your best bet is to get your cat declawed.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My cat scratched my 14-month old toddler in the face last night, narrowly missing his EYE. She has never liked children, and we knew that, but last night the door to where she hides from our boy when he tries to play with her was closed. This can never happen again. One half of an inch higher, and my son would be in the hospital right now, being fitted with an eye patch. His life would be ruined forever.

My options as I see them:

*Give her away. I don't know of anyone who would want a cranky old brat cat that hates children, so that would probably mean a no-kill shelter for her. That would break my heart.

*Make her an outdoor cat. SHe has little to NO outdoor skills, and between her yowling outside the door to get back in, and joining the pack of wild cats that infests our apartment complex, this option seems pretty irresponsible. Plus, it wouldn't solve the problem; what if she just went and scratched somebody ELSE'S kid and blinded them? :noway:

*Declawing her. I've always been sort of against this procedure, as I feel it's inhumane and usually unnecessary, and putting my six-year old adult cat through a painful and whoppingly traumatic surgery (that is usually only done on small babies) that could very well depress her and alter her personalty for the rest of her life, well, that also breaks my heart.

If we get rid of her, we will get a replacement baby kitten, that we will raise to be comfortable around small children. The cost of vaccinating spaying/neutering it will be probably more than what we'll be charged for declawing Elphaba. So cost isn't really a factor in our decision.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, and had to make this decision? What did you do? Your thoughts? (Please no douche or smart-alec comments, like "I'll taker her, my snake needs food" or "just get a dog". I have enough on my plate right now without dealing with internet jerks. I'm not in the mood. Serious advice, only please.) Thanks!

My cat does this to my 2 year old. I clip her claws with infant clippers. Now she bites instead, but at least the eyes are safe. I will be declawing her at some point. Right now, cost is an issue with us.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'd install a cat door to your cat's hidey hole. That way, closed or not, your cat has an escape route from the toddler. Also, keep in mind, you won't have a toddler forever. This too shall pass.

This is what I would do... Cat's don't just scratch for the hell of it... they are usually either playing or agitated. Also if the cat agitates easily I would get a pheromone diffuser and place it in the areas the cat frequents. You can buy them at Petsmart or the Vets office. It should calm the kitty down.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I fear this.
    My daughter is only 5m old - and so far my cats just keep away from her. I hope this continues to be the case. They dont loathe her - but they never stay in the same room.

I had those glue on caps for the claws. Two of my 3 cats - they didnt shed off properly and the nail grew so long it was pushing into the pads on their feet - I had to chew them off.
    The other chewed her own off in a couple days - so not always a good solution.

I do however clip my cats nails routinely.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If the stars line up right, and it's a full moon tonight, you could be the proud mother of a Were-cat. With a little determination and hard work, your baby may join the ranks of the Thunder Cats.

Seriously, declawing hurts the cat. The cat hurts the baby. The baby is defenseless and you can't always be around. You know what you have to do. Give the cat away to someone with a lot of love in their heart.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    My cat scratched my 14-month old toddler in the face last night, narrowly missing his EYE. She has never liked children, and we knew that, but last night the door to where she hides from our boy when he tries to play with her was closed. This can never happen again. One half of an inch higher, and my son would be in the hospital right now, being fitted with an eye patch. His life would be ruined forever.

I don't get why it ruin the kids life. You did say *his* eye. Since it is a baby boy, he could live the life of a pirate, and as far as I can tell, that seems to be a good life by all the people that aspire to have it.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would find a loving home for the cat. If you take the claws off, the cat might resort to chewing on the baby's face.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If this ever happened in my home the cat would be sent to live elsewhere, there is no way that I would keep an aggressive cat in the same house as my child.

I hope you son is okay!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options

My options as I see them:

*Give her away. I don't know of anyone who would want a cranky old brat cat that hates children, so that would probably mean a no-kill shelter for her. That would break my heart.

*Make her an outdoor cat. SHe has little to NO outdoor skills, and between her yowling outside the door to get back in, and joining the pack of wild cats that infests our apartment complex, this option seems pretty irresponsible. Plus, it wouldn't solve the problem; what if she just went and scratched somebody ELSE'S kid and blinded them? :noway:

*Declawing her. I've always been sort of against this procedure, as I feel it's inhumane and usually unnecessary, and putting my six-year old adult cat through a painful and whoppingly traumatic surgery (that is usually only done on small babies) that could very well depress her and alter her personalty for the rest of her life, well, that also breaks my heart.

If we get rid of her, we will get a replacement baby kitten, that we will raise to be comfortable around small children. The cost of vaccinating spaying/neutering it will be probably more than what we'll be charged for declawing Elphaba. So cost isn't really a factor in our decision.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, and had to make this decision? What did you do? Your thoughts? (Please no douche or smart-alec comments, like "I'll taker her, my snake needs food" or "just get a dog". I have enough on my plate right now without dealing with internet jerks. I'm not in the mood. Serious advice, only please.) Thanks!

I have two cats that have scratched my daughter before too. Close to the eye too, which makes me sick to think of what had happened if it were on her eye. Anyways, our cats are part of our family so our solution involves trimming the cats nails weekly (the same time I trim my daughter's nails) and teaching my daughter how to handle the cats properly.

One of our cats is a cat we got as a kitten when my daughter was younger and that has made no difference in her getting scratched, so don't believe that replacing your cat with a kitten will solve anything. I'm not trying to be a jerk, btw, just speaking from experience.

^This! I was raised in a house full of cats and dogs and I had my fair shair of scratches and bites. The animals were all raised around my sister and I and none of our animals were aggressive. Yet things happened!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get a dog.

Agreed! And a puppy at that. (Sorry, we take from the OP's post what we want to!)

We had a dog that had to be re-homed when he started growling at our then 7 month old daughter. The other dog she could pull the ears off and he'd let her but I'll never leave them alone together.

Yeah, not happening. I absolutely hate dogs.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd install a cat door to your cat's hidey hole. That way, closed or not, your cat has an escape route from the toddler. Also, keep in mind, you won't have a toddler forever. This too shall pass.

I like this idea!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Shoot it.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your cat.

Household felines are disgusting.
    They *kitten* in a box, rub their feet in it, then walk all over your kitchen countertops and scratch babies with their poo claws.

I'm not sure whose bright idea it was to domesticate these animals.

[/quote]

You won't have a toddler forever, but you'll have your child around longer than the cat.

Get a real animal, like a dog. They'll actually protect your child.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Declawing is sick.

You can file your cats claws down and have those soft paws put on. They are rubber claw caps. You will need to it once a month but it works and doesn't bother the cat.

This.

I foster cats and have had countless live with me. De-clawing is the equivalent of amputating their fingers. People deciding they can't have a cat because they have a baby is one of the reasons there are so many discarded cats. You made a 20 year commitment to that cat and the same to your son.

You need to teach your son to keep away from the cat and the cat to keep away from your son. Use a spray bottle for the cat, and teach your son not to get to close to the cat.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    HeelsAndBoxingGloves Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    A declawed, nasty cat will still be a nasty cat. With teeth. And the surgery kind of sucks for the animal. So I'll repeat what others have said - cap the claws.

Or you could try kitten mittens. Look at how happy this feline is!
    125nrdf.gif

OMG I love that!
This discussion has been closed.