Has the whole world been brainwashed?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    I cannot literally believe some of the things I hear or read about nutrition and diet. Everything is so contradicting and I now have to question everything that I've ever believed.

Surely I am not the only one that feels this way?

Okay, so I don't have the cleanest diet yet, but I'm getting there. By clean, I mean relatively paleo

But WHY are doctors and nutritionists telling us this!

It's not rocket science is it. All this unnatural, processed food (wheat and dairy included), how can this possibly be good for us when we aren't actually designed to eat it. You'd consider feeding a lion fruit pastels outrageous right?

Yet few people seemed to have considered the effect of what they eat.

It makes me feel disgusted, I want to question everything!!!

If we are to limit ourselves to do only what we were "designed" to do; than there isn't much to do in a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I thought this was actually about all the contradicting information out there. Like fruit sugar is good/bad eat carbs don't eat carbs, ect ect. Every other person/doctor/dietitian you talk to has a completely different opinion on health and nutrition and the internet is filled with a plethora of miss information. But it seems this topic is more about why people choose to not eat the paleo diet.

People should just use a bit of common sense. From a common sense perspective, you're going to get more nutrition from whole, natural foods...and most of those types of foods are less calorie dense as well (bonus for weight loss). I have to say that I get pretty annoyed with the people who say you have to eat Paleo or whatever to be healthy...it's just not true...you don't have to be that gung ho with your diet to have a healthy, nutritious diet.

My buddy is always preaching Paleo (and Cross Fit) to me...and I "have" to do it to change my bad blood..because that's what worked for him...blah, blah, blah. Well...I haven't done Paleo, but I have completely reversed all of my bad blood work with a more well rounded diet that includes a lot of natural, nutrient dense whole foods...as well as the occasional gummy bear or soda or slice of pizza, or whatever. I don't do Cross Fit either, but I run/walk about 20 miles per week and I lift heavy things and put them down...and I'm more fit than I've been in years without the almighty CF to get me there.

Basically, it needn't be an all or nothing approach to a dietary/fitness lifestyle. A common sense approach works just fine.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is alot of money to be made by selling people overly processed foods with cheap worthless ingredients like gluten and soy. Companies like Monsanto are probably signing your doctor's paycheck. That's why he tells you that wheat is good for you.

I'm no fan of Monsanto for political/regulatory reasons, but I can state positively that no one in that company has *EVER* signed any of my doctors "paychecks." This is the kind of outrageous statement that makes political change nearly impossible. If you speak ill of the regulatory environment and patent system that allows Monsanto to virtually steal from farmers, then people think you also believe crazy nonsense like "Monsaton = Illuminati = NWO = global conspiracy" yak yak yak

Because people are too quick to repeat what they hear from websites and YouTube videos that they haven't verified.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    A diet high in raw food ingredients that you buy from independent shops and cook yourself or produced dishes made locally by cottage industries benefits your local community. Our town has a 30 mile food zone in operation and the result has been that restaurants and retailers are sourcing from local farmers and producers. It's meant an increase in high quality food, from oak smoked bacon made from free-range, organic rare-breed pork through to bread made from local crops that are stone ground locally and baked by local bakers through to beer and wine from local vineyards and micro-breweries.
    Yeah, people who live in New York City should only buy foods that were farmed in New York City!

The internet is awesome in that people can be snarky and crass with no repercussions or any form of even having to come back and face the impact of their comment. Would you say this to someone IRL in this conversation? No. You wouldn't.

You know goddamn well what they mean. So, knock of the stupid BS.

That's actually *exactly* the kind of comment that I would make in a RL discussion, but wouldn't bother to post online.

Sometimes online, it's not worth it because too many people have trouble reading humor and sarcasm when it's typed instead of spoken.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    ... I think it's really hard to stay completely away from the processed foods...we've learned to like so many of them....but everything in moderation seems like a good plan to me. Read the labels...if it's full of fat and sodium..it's probably delicious....

I fixed that for you.

What's your beef with fat and sodium anyways?
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Try to eat organic foods. Look at the ingredients, and if it has a lot of things you can't pronounce, don't eat it. I don't think you need to go full on vegan or paleo to accomplish a healthy diet. Just stay away from things with chemicals in them. Make your own food at home, and avoid GMOs (again - organic is the way to go)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Our cat likes potato chips and french fries.
    You just need to sit your cat down and explain about his ancestors and how they lived and ate.

If I loved him, then I would. :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    The world has not really been brainwashed, I don’t think....I know i haven’t been.....I think in the US particularly, the FDA obviously cares more about money than people’s health. <snip>

The FDA is just like FEMA (Remember "Heckuva-job-Brownie" during Hurricane Katrina?) and the USDA (among others). It's about power and political appointments for do-nothing, cushy jobs. Their main role is to justify their existence as an agency. The FDA is certainly a waste of tax money, as well as many other federal agencies. Consumer Reports does a better job than the FDA. And the "greed factor" is actually the number one reason that companies like General Mills (who has been sued more than once by the FDA for quoting science) only want to sell yummy food. If they kill off their customers, who would be left to buy the food? Or if a case of food-poisoning broke out, customers would take their business elsewhere.
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out who Jillian Anderson is.

Scully from the X-files is my guess. Though I believe that's Gillian

The truth is out there...

x-files-motivational-posters-the-x-files-6753990-750-600_zps2e597bee.jpg
  • julieharrell1
    julieharrell1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It was actually my doctor who told me about the Paleo Diet and told me I should try it. I have celiac disease. I almost died from eating gluten (found in wheat) while I thought whole wheat was good for me. I am also terribly allergic to soy. On top of that I have a couple of autoimmune diseases. I went to many doctors who had no idea what was wrong with me. That's why I'm passionate about this topic. If you think I make statements without researching first, you are wrong. The additives in many popular foods can cause your body to try to destroy itself.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It was actually my doctor who told me about the Paleo Diet and told me I should try it. I have celiac disease. I almost died from eating gluten (found in wheat) while I thought whole wheat was good for me. I am also terribly allergic to soy. On top of that I have a couple of autoimmune diseases. I went to many doctors who had no idea what was wrong with me. That's why I'm passionate about this topic. If you think I make statements without researching first, you are wrong. The additives in many popular foods can cause your body to try to destroy itself.
    No, the additives in many popular foods can cause your body to try to destroy itself.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    23992321.jpg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No, the additives in many popular foods can cause your body to try to destroy itself.

QFT
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of research on just that kind of diet and when I replaced processed foods, and dairy with clean foods for the most part not 100 percent and not sure if I will ever get there I was able to reach my goal faster I feel better and have much more staminia now. It is worth educating yourself on clean eating and make graduale changes until it becomes a habbit then your body craves this kind of foods and not the processed foods. They can be cheat day or snack to look forward to every once in a while. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the subjest since it has helped me enourmousely. I have not been at this weight in over thirty years and it feels great. I do a lot of green smoothies and eat different nuts for snacks instead of chips and crackers and such foods like that. That's about all for now.
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more. What we eat can effect us more than we know. I myself do research on most all foods and any supplements as well.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is a great point actually!! People don't think or realize that what they eat effects not only their physical appearance( weight) but their minds, energy, hair, skin.... Everything!

People are suppose to eat raw foods. Veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, grains like rice, quinoa, millet... Not wheat. Meat.... I don't think so.. Maybe fish but when we eat large amounts of meat, those specific protiens screw with our bodies. And your right, dairy is something we can't digest properly. People now eat because it is an addiction, or whatever the reason ( processed food taste so good) not because they are hungry. We are suppose to eat for energy, not because we are hungry.

I personally think that alot of doctors may not know the importance of eating "clean" or perhaps they have given up trying to convice people to change. Hey! After watching "super size me" people still eat mcDonalds food so it doesnt matter what you do, people will only change what they eat, if they want to.

I also think all the processed foods, chemicals, additives, preservatives play a big part in all our disesases... Cancer!!

A good book that supports this is " you are what you eat" by Gillian mckeith.

Good point! And we have been brainwashed!!

Hmmmmm... while I do love fresh food I would take anything "Doctor" Gillian McKeith says with a big handful of (organic) salt.

There was a really good article in The Guardian a while back about her false claims, fake qualifications and litigious nature: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/feb/12/advertising.food

IMO the writer summed it up really well:

And that's the most sinister feature of the whole nutritionist project, graphically exemplified by McKeith: it's a manifesto of rightwing individualism - you are what you eat, and people die young because they deserve it. They choose death, through ignorance and laziness, but you choose life, fresh fish, olive oil, and that's why you're healthy. You're going to see 78. You deserve it. Not like them.

Or to put it more simply (for a bit of fun!)...

4f6452c1-3f3a-4c39-a340-a2ec2cb9b43c_zps46b8d8eb.jpg

OMG! But strangely enough, vegan friends around my same age (I only have 2) tend to have that rode hard and put away wet look. I have no idea exactly why the years have been so unkind to them; it may have nothing to do with diet.
    lmfao uh yeah celebs have the money for plastic surgery and all that expensive ****. Why do you think lots of 55 year old celebs still look good? Its called botox.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    DERP DERP DERP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvsGXuyYgv8

^^ 72 year old raw food vegan check out how malnourished he is
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    can we start an english -v- american food dictionary ? someone please tell me what a twinkie is , im googling twinkie and getting a picture of a fluroescent yellow log stuffed with white gunge oozing out lol and while your at it what on earth are grits?

You've found the right picture of a Twinkie. It's a cake piece with cream stuffed into it. SOOO GOOD. We even deep fry 'em out here sometimes.

I think grits are a form of cooking oatmeal grains. I'm not sure about that, though.

Grits are ground corn, and they are very popular in the southeastern U.S. primarily as a breakfast food, though you really haven't experienced Southern food until you've had shrimp and grits. They remain a regional staple. I grew up on them and love them.

I've tried grits and can't stand them!