Why hasn't the entire world..

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    haha. food WAS way healthier back then. There were no GMOs or chemicals pumped into everything we eat. processed foods didn't exist.

And yet somehow the average lifespan was 20 years shorter than it is today.

Explain
    advances in medicine and technology.

You mean, the type of advances that brought you GMOS and chemicals pumped in the things we eat?

Advances in medicine and technoloy. For or against?

I mean that people simply don't DIE from the diseases that used to kill them. Someone with breast cancer, for example, has a much greater chance of surviving than they once did.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    haha. food WAS way healthier back then. There were no GMOs or chemicals pumped into everything we eat. processed foods didn't exist.

Explain

You mean, the type of advances that brought you GMOS and chemicals pumped in the things we eat?

I mean that people simply don't DIE from the diseases that used to kill them. Someone with breast cancer, for example, has a much greater chance of surviving than they once did.

7b6da85d-bf67-400a-b3da-c76f3fe260c2_zps49c77e41.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Explain

Sure, but the medical advances keep people alive longer....to the point where they're at a much higher incidence rate for cancer. Then Coach blames the cancer on the food we eat and not the longer life span than modern living has gifted us with.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread certainly blew up while I was asleep. So many opinions, so little time! Anyway, I appreciate everyone's point of view and their willingness to post so passionately. Obviously this is an issue that hits close to home, negative or positive. I am just astounded at the fact that my original post was simply wondering (not forcing, not saying everyone should do it just because I'd like to) why restaurants don't put calories on their menu.

On a forum that was built specifically for support of those who are using MyFitnessPal (A CALORIE COUNTER), I'm just a bit bewildered that its received so much negativity. I'm here because I calorie count using the app, that's my entire aim for being here, so I can control my calorie input. And again, that's exactly what MFP is for. If you use MFP and don't calorie count, that's your choice, but I fail to see the logic in chastising someone who's simply trying to do it in the most effective way possible.

Op- all topics will, if left to be played out, reach at least two opposing viewpoints. Always. You will never post any topic on any subject in any internet forum and not have that be the case. I know I've changed my views on some things after listening to the opposing side. That's what good debate is.

As long as it doesn't get into the name calling and swearing, these threads are valuable for hearing the other side - in all its minutia and tedious back and forth, there are points to ponder.

Don't take it personally, and don't let it stop you from posting. It's been a fun thread.
    Options

Explain

Sure, but the medical advances keep people alive longer....to the point where they're at a much higher incidence rate for cancer. Then Coach blames the cancer on the food we eat and not the longer life span than modern living has gifted us with.

Oh, I think I misinterpreted your initial point. I agree with you.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For me the biggest side of not knowing what is in food is that my kids and i can't have gluten. So hidden gluten can make us very sick.

So for that reason we tend to eat at home.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    As far as the amount of input, it's true this one hits on so many hot buttons for people, so you get a lot more input - for and against. Some things bring out the passion in people.

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    although i respect everyone opinion. i am shocked there is debate with this. everything is labelled. imagine buying a car without knowing the engine specs. imagine buying clothes without knowing the materials. imagine taking medicines without knowing whats in it. it would be great to know what we are eating!
    Options
    although i respect everyone opinion. i am shocked there is debate with this. everything is labelled. imagine buying a car without knowing the engine specs. imagine buying clothes without knowing the materials. imagine taking medicines without knowing whats in it. it would be great to know what we are eating!

MOST people buy cars without knowing the engine specs--they never check. most people buy clothes without knowing what material they are made of. Most people don't know what's in the drugs they take either-so I get your point BUT I don't think that much would change even with the knowledge.
  • DavPul
    Options
    ^^truth
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

MOST people buy cars without knowing the engine specs--they never check. most people buy clothes without knowing what material they are made of. Most people don't know what's in the drugs they take either-so I get your point BUT I don't think that much would change even with the knowledge.

It's sad, but I think you're exactly right. Avoiding something just because it's not great for you is often trumped by convenience. Especially when it comes to food-the effects are cumulative and harder to see.
  • cmriverside
    Options

It's sad, but I think you're exactly right. Avoiding something just because it's not great for you is often trumped by convenience. Especially when it comes to food-the effects are cumulative and harder to see.

I don't want any more stuff to have to read and keep track of.....my brain is full.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

so because you're pessimistic it would work, you think we shouldn't even TRY?
  • DavPul
    Options

define "work"
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    Granted, I only read about 8 pages of this thread, but I thought I would chime in. In 2002, a woman sued the manufacturer of Pirate's Booty snacks because the food item contained almost three times the amount of fat and calories as it had listed on the nutrition facts label. The company not only had to fight a $50 million lawsuit, but had to recall its products and redevelop the packaging.

It's really not hard to imagine why a small, non-chain restaurant would hesitate to put calorie counts on their menus.

Reference: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mom-blows-whistle-on-booty-snack-Rice-puffs-2820584.php
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I live in Australia and unless you go to places like McDonalds, there's no nutritional information given at all. For the record, I don't eat at McDonalds... an example would be going to a Vietnamese restaurant. Another state (not the one I live in) is making it mandatory to show the calories in every meal if you're a food provider. I just wish my state was doing the same :(
    Maybe you should start a great healthy restaurant and post your nutrition? If that's what a lot of people want, you'll do great business and other companies would likely follow suit. I think it's unfortunately only a small minority, particularly among people who are going out to eat, even if they are trying to watch what they eat.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

define "work"

good question... i don't know... maybe as a small step to help get our obesity crisis under control?

i don't know the answer, and i don't know if it will make any difference at all, but JFK didn't know if we'd be able to get to the moon either and we tried anyway
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Correct. As I stated earlier in this thread, I did the nutritional data in my small catering company and restaurant and was asked for it a total of 6 times in 8 years!! The people here are the exception. The chains are doing it for lawsuit avoidance.

Do nutritionals showing huge calories stop anyone from going to Cheesecake Factory or Bahama Breeze?? The vast majority of the customers don't care!! If they did, they'd penalize the ones who didn't have it available and promote the ones who did with their trade.

Cheesecake Factory with the highest single dish calorie counts is growing like gangbusters!! Why?? The responsibility for overeating is with the eater not the restaurant. As someone else said, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them eat in these places!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

define "work"

good question... i don't know... maybe as a small step to help get our obesity crisis under control?

i don't know the answer, and i don't know if it will make any difference at all, but JFK didn't know if we'd be able to get to the moon either and we tried anyway

As I've stated, I did it and it didn't "work" as defined by my customers caring. My customers consistently ordered the most calorie laden things on menu even with great, healthy choices available. I didn't make them! I didn't even encourage this. The issues is not to place the responsibility on the restaurant. Even with nutritionals available they don't dictate what people order, as the chains have proven!!

Honestly, this whole thread smacks of self righteous foolishness and naiveté.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory with the highest single dish calorie counts is growing like gangbusters!! Why?? The responsibility for overeating is with the eater not the restaurant. As someone else said, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them eat in these places!!

Are you sure CF has the highest? 'Cause I know this place that does deep fried macaroni and cheese balls with bacon...

ETA: mmapags, I like you.