Replies

• Melli_81
    Melli_81 Posts: 13
    Options
    bump!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Greatful I found it. It worked. I did 1200 or less for ages and it felt fine but so glad I learned it wasn't ok.
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I too am eating more to weigh less. It is working for me. The big thing I am doing is eating a lot less carbs and fat also vvery little prepackaged processed food. My actual calories would be a lot less but quantity is a lot more. Typically for breakfast I have an apple, banana, 35 calorie yogurt and an oatmeal. This is a lot more than I ate before.
  • mestespelly88
    mestespelly88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've always had the feeling I wasn't eating enough....I work out hard & can't seem to loose any pounds. I'm constantly losing & gaining the same 5 pounds or so. Can I get some more information on this topic....what exactly does TDEE 20% mean....how does it work and how do I found out my numbers. I really would love to try this out!! Thanks!!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese (allergic to nuts) for calorie dense items. I really feel confident and happy eating this way. Seeing people eating 1200 calories makes me sad.

Here Here on the cheese. When I am "done" for the day. I use cheese (and nuts) to make up a large deficit if I have one. Just watch the sodioum.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Remember that if you are currently at a huge deficit .........increase cals by 100/day so that your body has time to adjust. Also don't panic in the first few weeks if you gain........it means your body is acclimating! As soon as it comes, it is gone. Please give your body time to get used to it, Keep hydrated and you will get there! Good luck all!
  • MileHighTexan
    MileHighTexan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This might be worth more of my time/research.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had to discover this on my own, lol
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    SCOOBY, fat to fit radio, fitnessfrog are all great sites for all Calculators. They also give you great numbers based on activity levels. Just be honest...it's only you and the calculator!
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I'm doing TDEE -20% Initially with my MFP limits I had put on a kilo so I decided to re-think as I wasn't eating back exercise calories (just couldn't face eaint my dinner and then an extra 500 cals eat back after 7pm at night).

I'm back down to the original weight since I've been doing it the last week and hope I will have lost a bit more by next weigh in next week.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Any responses to the net calorie question? Is the TDEE-20% our net calorie goal so do we eat our exercise calories?

Thanks.

You can do it either way. If you calculate your TDEE including your exercise routine you do NOT eat them back.

I prefer to calculate my TDEE without exercise. Then when I exercise I GET to eat them back. This works as an incentive for me to exercise!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Any responses to the net calorie question? Is the TDEE-20% our net calorie goal so do we eat our exercise calories?

Thanks.

You can do it either way. If you calculate your TDEE including your exercise routine you do NOT eat them back.

I prefer to calculate my TDEE without exercise. Then when I exercise I GET to eat them back. This works as an incentive for me to exercise!

If I do things this way the Scooby calculator comes up about right for me. A measly 1252 calories. If I include exercise in the calculation however, even if I underestimate intensity and number of workouts per week, I get a much higher number than I could maintain at, much less lose at.

But to be fair, when I'm not working out I take 'sedentary' to a high art form and I suspect that the calculator wasn't set up with quite that much sedentariness in mind.

*edit* No, logic fail, it had to have been set up with that much sedentariness in mind or else none of the numbers would have come out right. Hm. Not sure what is going on with that.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Try this one and see what you get:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Try this one and see what you get:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Much more accurate for me due to just how sedentary I really am minus the workouts. Thanks!
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this, I used the link that was first provided to figure out my TDEE-20% and found out that I was inadvertantly eating at that the last 2 weeks. I actually lost 4 pounds during those 2 weeks also, coincidence? I think not. ( I know that my ticker only says a 1 pound loss but I gained 3 pounds in the beginning) I am going to see how this goes for the next few weeks and make any adjustments from there. Thanks everyone, this thread has explained it the best for me so far.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20% + eating back exercise calories works for me.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't reccomend the in place of a road map. when I posted to the group about my first day eating properly they deleted my post and don't want newbies starting out to post. eat more to weigh less is way better.
  • jingwersen
    jingwersen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    One thing you all have to remember. If your TDEE number is 2500 then you have to eat a caloric diet less then that if you want to lose weight. If your body burns a total of 2500 calories per day and that is what you eat, then your weight will stay steady - YOU WON"T LOSE....

My TDEE is 2516 per day so I eat 1500 calories per day. This allows me to burn 1000 calories of fat per day or 2 pounds per week.
  • jtempalski
    Options
    this post has definitely been so helpful! I have had MFP on my phone for a long time now, but seriously been using it the past month as I started a 90 day challenge for Turbo Fire. I used the book to figure out what my calorie intake should be and thought wow, that seems too high... MPF wants to put you at 1200 calories for my age/etc.... but after reading this I am going to up that a bit and see how it goes :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!