What was your first car?

Options

Replies

• Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Mine was abysmal...it was a 1974 Ford Pinto, white with a blue "racing" stripe (and by 'racing', it must've meant any attempt to get the car going over 45 mph). I was 16, and cleaned the puke off of movie theater floors for a living, so that's what I could afford. One of the back windows was held in with duct tape. It backfired every time I tried to start it up at the end of the school day, which never failed to make a few of my classmates who weren't familiar with it (and some that were) to duck, thinking a drive-by shooting was starting up. (yeah, my neighborhood was that posh, too) One side of the license plate kept swinging loose, but we eventually kept it up with a wad of gum, a shaved-down stick of driftwood and a jumbo paper clip. A wire clothes hanger had to hold the exhaust pipe up, to keep it from dragging on the ground. But was I mocked for it? Oh no...because I was EVERYONE'S ride home! People were begging me to hitch a ride home in my God-awful wreck of a $200 Pinto, and the payment I asked for was for everyone to just pretend I had a REAL car, at least to my face.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FordCortina20080125.jpg (Sorry, not sure how to ut images in here.....!!)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cortina

One of the last Mk V Ford Cortina with a shagged clutch and a blown head gasket. But I didn't realise that when I bought it from the earnings of stacking shelves at the local supermarket!
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    1989 Chevy Cavalier- it had 152,000 miles on it when I bought it, and 373,400 when I sold it to a buddy for $100.

29188200009_medium.jpg
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    1967 Pontiac GTO
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    1968 Ford Thunderbird with suicide doors. Loved that car and wish I still had it.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    1974 'Cuda
  • Ragarianok
    Options
    Mine was a green, beat-up '94 Chevy Corsica.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    '84 Firebird Formula
    Midnight blue with T-tops. Guess those Knight Rider episodes really had an effect on me.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    1972 Vega. Orange with gray primer spots all over it. :)

I bought it for $90, drove it for a few months and then traded it for a motorcycle with no kick start. Last time I saw it, it was converted into a race car.
  • htiafyenaffit
    htiafyenaffit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    86 oldsmobile cutlass cierra ... bought for 700 bucks in ran like a beaut hated it at first but it grew on me still miss it!

800px-1985-86_Oldsmobile_Cutlass_Ciera_Sedan_zps7635e706.jpg
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Isn't this one of the password security check questions?

Yeah, but I never choose that question so I'm immune.

Mine was doo-doo brown with a satin finish like a scratch-off lottery ticket. Dad bought it for me late spring of junior year high school. Was a city fleet car he bought at auction; 12 years old but only had 78k on it. AC didn't work, no radio, hot vinyl bench seats, had a 25 gal tank and full-sized spare so trunk space was almost non-existent. Got AC fixed, painted shiny black, and installed a stereo and EQ. I had a 'friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend' shade-tree mechanic that didn't drive (WTF?), so I'd pick him up, head to junkyard, scavenge like mad and tweak the *kitten* out of it! Had for 4 years and was gonna swap bench seats for bucket seats when it coughed up the transmission. Literally, parts and metal shavings were in the pan. Sold it to a cousin as-is for $600 and he never did anything with it but let it sit on blocks. Memories... <Le Sigh>

1978_AMC_Concord_DL_4-door_sedan_beige.jpg
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500

1967FordGalaxie500frontquarter_zps5701c527.jpg

Mine was just like this but had a black top......
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My first and second cars were both navy blue Ford Tempos.
  • BiggJim38
    BiggJim38 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    84 black mercury cougar
  • Jenrosa28
    Jenrosa28 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible in white!!! Love to own another!!!
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The first car I had to buy myself, I got it 4 weeks before I graduated from nursing school. It was a new **** brown colored ford tempo. AM only radio but it got me to work for 4 years and I bought my first black iroc z28
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I had a chevy S-10. i don't remember the year though but I would guess in the late 90's.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    1964 GTO convertible - primer gray.

My dad is a car buff.

I wanted a classic Mustang -- easy to drive and park. But the "Goat" grew on me. I could fit 20 friends to the beach no problem!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I started with a "paleo" car - manual everything including windscreen washer pump by hand.

Piece of cr@p called a Hillman Avenger although it was nicknamed "Lurch" - it didn't corner too well......
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It was like this but that awfu blue grey colour.
    1984 Nissan Datsun Sentra Hatchback
    Saved up all my babysitting money over the summer and bought it for 500

30088360001_large.jpg