A dog you can trust or a dog that will kill?

Options

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Two Pitbulls attacked and killed a 14 month old in Wisconsin. I don't trust pits around my boy and I never will.

So if a man kills a baby, do you stop trusting all males? Or if a baby dies in a car accident, do you never put a child in another car?

I'm not trying to debate. I simply don't trust pits, you won't change my mind.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Well...this is why I would rather have small dogs. If they go ballistic on me, I can kick 'em. Not that I would want to, but you can seriously protect yourself against a Chihuahua more than a Rottie or some other big dog. I have children and they are my life. I have two doggies and they are my babies too, but my kids come first and if they go nipping and biting, the dogs are gone. (My furbabies are sweeties, tho :)).

As for it isn't the breed, I have to disagree with this. My best friend all thru middle and high school was mauled when she was 5 years old by two very well treated family German Shepherds. She was just sitting in the dirt playing. They almost killed her. She was doing nothing to provoke and these pets had been in the family for years.

Well treated doesn't necessarily mean well trained.

You're right, but it also doesn't mean that these dogs were treated aggressively...which is what people imply when they say it isn't the breed but the owner. That is crap. There are crazy dogs due to breeding just like there are crazy people in this world.
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Also, if she was in the dirt playing and the dogs were there..who knows what happened to set them off. My very well trained dog freaked out and almost bit me once and I had no idea what was going on. Until I went near where she was playing and saw that there was a wasp's nest. They had attacked her and she freaked out....
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Well...this is why I would rather have small dogs. If they go ballistic on me, I can kick 'em. Not that I would want to, but you can seriously protect yourself against a Chihuahua more than a Rottie or some other big dog. I have children and they are my life. I have two doggies and they are my babies too, but my kids come first and if they go nipping and biting, the dogs are gone. (My furbabies are sweeties, tho :)).

As for it isn't the breed, I have to disagree with this. My best friend all thru middle and high school was mauled when she was 5 years old by two very well treated family German Shepherds. She was just sitting in the dirt playing. They almost killed her. She was doing nothing to provoke and these pets had been in the family for years.

You're right, but it also doesn't mean that these dogs were treated aggressively...which is what people imply when they say it isn't the breed but the owner. That is crap. There are crazy dogs due to breeding just like there are crazy people in this world.

When people say it's not the breed, it's the owner, they're not just talking about people who mistreat their dogs. They're also talking about people who don't train their dogs at all/well enough, or people who don't prevent dangerous situations. Doesn't always mean they're bad people, but their dog is their responsibility.

ETA: And inbreeding and temperment issues down to breeding aren't the dog's fault, it's humans. Again.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    nurture over nature.

Also, fwiw, I have been bit by a poodle. Many times. My great-aunt owned a vicious one that used to go after us all as kids.
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I didn't mean that they were treated aggressively. I just mean they weren't properly trained. I have an aunt who has two of the cutest little dogs but she spoils them so bad that noone else can go near them. Dogs need discipline just like children do. But most people don't know how to discipline a dog properly. Training a dog is not as easy as alot of people think.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    They're also talking about people who don't train their dogs at all/well enough, or people who don't prevent dangerous situations. Doesn't always mean they're bad people, but their dog is their responsibility.

The second time my dog went after our neighbors dog I went out and bought him a muzzle.

Since then he's been socially integrated with other dogs and is so much better!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Judging a dog by its breed is just like judging a person because of the color of their skin. The reason that you hear of so many pit bull attacks is because it is sensational. I live in Colorado and the most common dog bites come from Labs, you don't hear about it because it isn't sensational. My husband and I own a vet clinic and I have been bit by more Yorkies, Chihuahua, and other lap dogs than I have been my "bully" breeds. Most of the time the reason for dog bites/attacks is due to the human. What was happening right before? Also, what is the state of the dogs? If you have a handful of in-tact animals, you are going to have a huge problem on your hands. Pit bulls are no where near the "killing machines" that people have labeled them. Remember, it's just a dog. They have the exact same anatomy as every other dog out there.

P.S. any dog can kill...
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

When people say it's not the breed, it's the owner, they're not just talking about people who mistreat their dogs. They're also talking about people who don't train their dogs at all/well enough, or people who don't prevent dangerous situations. Doesn't always mean they're bad people, but their dog is their responsibility.

ETA: And inbreeding and temperment issues down to breeding aren't the dog's fault, it's humans. Again.

Opinions are like belly buttons ;)
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Also during the debate was the fact that it had never been recorded that a poodle had bitten or attacked a child?

This is bull. No breed has a "clean" record when it comes to biting. That is hooey.
    What are your opinions as to the safety of dogs around children is there a breed of dog that you would not trust?

It's not breed you can trust or doubt, it's the owner/trainer and the dog. Some dogs don't do well with kids, some dogs do but that isn't a breed thing, it varies dog to dog.

My pitt has never bitten anyone, my yellow lab had. My best friend's pitt has never bitten anyone, but her brother's goldie has.

Don't go by breed, pick a good breeder, trainer, and watch the dog until you know how it will react. Also, teach your kid to respect animals, a lot of bites would have been prevented had a kid not ignored a dog's warning signs. Teach a kid to not pull, poke, or sit on a dog, and to leave the dog alone when it growls and it'll probably find that (most) dogs don't bite unprovoked.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Where were the girl's parents? I don't think it matters what breed they were, they should not have been left alone with a child.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    nurture over nature.

Also, fwiw, I have been bit by a poodle. Many times. My great-aunt owned a vicious one that used to go after us all as kids.

My neighbors had toy poodles who would bite you if you just walked by, territorial untrained little turdbuckets. I hated those dogs.
  • sheffiej31
    Options
    I believe it's a complex issue. I believe in the upbringing vs the breed alone. I fear Pits as I have never owned one, but have known many people to have them and hear wonderful stories about them. I have two Olde English Bulldogges. Mom and son. To us, the most gentlest creatures on the planet. I love them to death. I have noticed an issue with the male, a need to jump on small females. He doesn't attack or bite, but "exerts his dominance"?? I have to keep him away from my daughter's friends. Is it the breed? History tells us they are terribly aggressive, worthless creatures. They are sweethearts who mind us well. I think each dog has its own personality, be it beagle or mastiff, all are capable of being aggressive.

I can't speak to what occurred to the 14 yr old. A tragedy dog owners must always be on the look out for. They are wild in nature no matter how tame they may be. Never forget that. I love my dogs. Wouldn't trade them for the world. That said, the kids come first.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No breed is a bad breed when trained correctly.

This.

10137_508600115868138_2035104735_n.jpg
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Opinions are like belly buttons ;)

Ok.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    They're also talking about people who don't train their dogs at all/well enough, or people who don't prevent dangerous situations. Doesn't always mean they're bad people, but their dog is their responsibility.

The second time my dog went after our neighbors dog I went out and bought him a muzzle.

Since then he's been socially integrated with other dogs and is so much better!

And this is what makes you responsible!
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It does not matter the breed, it matters on how the dog is raised.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    No breed is a bad breed when trained correctly.

This.

Animals all have different personalities and can react to certain situations differently, but overall, the quote is right on.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    So let me start off by saying I love dogs! I am a dog person. There are certain breeds of dogs that have been bred for aggression and protection. These are animals not people, you cannot train breeding out completely. You can suppress it but its suppressed not gone. Beagles howl, Labs fetch things, Collies herd, Pitt Bulls and others like them guard their territory fiercely. It is simply their breeding. It does not make them bad it just makes them poorly suited for houses with small children.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Hey, take a look at my killer dog.

268571_2268957683840_6887805_n.jpg

251033_2191648311154_8161644_n.jpg

230331_2100946683670_7442904_n.jpg

230997_2130514262841_5525408_n.jpg

230331_2100946683670_7442904_n.jpg

227225_2060752278835_4965946_n.jpg

224756_2073504917643_3453078_n.jpg

230746_2073506997695_4367834_n.jpg

188339_1954405980244_8287049_n.jpg

250398_2173671221738_5337386_n.jpg

229418_2059671411814_1055578_n.jpg

223491_2059669171758_6288337_n.jpg

229822_2059666931702_728470_n.jpg

206086_1999421145595_3762356_n.jpg

184692_1897999370114_1401784_n.jpg

181756_1897993289962_2878743_n.jpg

180116_1880164364250_2620974_n.jpg

45374_1602070012065_235012_n.jpg

I suggest you visit http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/

:heart: adorable!

I have a German Shepherd that is the biggest baby. But don't you dare try to hurt his family. He no likey...