List of things worth living for.

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    OP, you asked for reasons to keep living, and many of us have given them, but you are focussing on the posts you disagree with. Please take a step back and recognise that you were given what you asked for.

If you want to feel better, hold the positive things close to you and stop concentrating on why you will continue to feel badly.

You asked for something. You got it. Have a think about those things.

Well maybe people should have just answered it rather than be rude in the process.

No one has been rude but several people have reached out to you. If you don't want to call the help line, ponder the positives that you asked for, or take your meds, then pick someone and talk to them.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Good old PTSD. I'm on ambien because otherwise I won't sleep to avoid the nightmares, the ambien helps with that, but sometimes it does this great thing where it traps me in my nightmare and I can't wake up from it and so I'm just stuck there until it wears off. My PTSD is a real pain in the hiney. I get panic attacks when I shower in unfamiliar places, which makes traveling super fun...

OMG! Thanks for the memories! Years ago, my doctor tried to put me on something like that. I took it once, got trapped in a horrific nightmare (because the drug makes it impossible for you to wake yourself up) and swore never to take it again! Talk about panic! I thought I was gonna have a heart attack! :sad:
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    OP, you asked for reasons to keep living, and many of us have given them, but you are focussing on the posts you disagree with. Please take a step back and recognise that you were given what you asked for.

If you want to feel better, hold the positive things close to you and stop concentrating on why you will continue to feel badly.

Well maybe people should have just answered it rather than be rude in the process.

No one has been rude but several people have reached out to you. If you don't want to call the help line, ponder the positives that you asked for, or take your meds, then pick someone and talk to them.

No but there have been several which think they know everything about mental illness when there in fact responses are bs.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

No but there have been several which think they know everything about mental illness when there in fact responses are bs.

How do you know that they haven't felt the way you do? Some people cope with mental illness, and start to feel better. You aren't the only one who has been depressed.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options

How do you know that they haven't felt the way you do? Some people cope with mental illness, and start to feel better. You aren't the only one who has been depressed.

Who said I was depressed?
    No I'm talking about the ones which are like 'think positive and you will be magically cured.'
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

So true. I was so depressed in high school I nearly did the deed and ended it. I feel completely different now than I did then, and you probably wouldn't be able to tell that I was ever *that* bad, but I still try to help.

All we're saying is that you're only looking at the negative responses, which is definitely a symptom of your condition. You reaching out and asking for help is a HUGE step, but you need to try to read the responses from those of us who genuinely care and are really trying to help you!

Another huge step: if you ask for help be prepared to have people help.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options

So true. I was so depressed in high school I nearly did the deed and ended it. I feel completely different now than I did then, and you probably wouldn't be able to tell that I was ever *that* bad, but I still try to help.

All we're saying is that you're only looking at the negative responses, which is definitely a symptom of your condition. You reaching out and asking for help is a HUGE step, but you need to try to read the responses from those of us who genuinely care and are really trying to help you!

sorry i'm not used to it because people in the past have always done the complete opposite of help..
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Who said I was depressed?
    No I'm talking about the ones which are like 'think positive and you will be magically cured.'

No one said that. You asked for reasons to keep living, and people provided some. You sad you feel down and sometimes think about ending it. I think most mental health professionals would consider that depression.

Why are you arguing? You asked for help, and people gave you what you specifically asked for.

Good luck. I hope you feel better.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    learning to box
    the color yellow
    eating an authentic mexican taco
    sunshine
    a good smutty book
    seeing a flag blowing straight out in the wind
    the top of the eiffel tower
    humming 'amazing grace' while watching my children sleep
    cute running skirts
    learning to take close-up pictures of flowers
    a good hand massage
    eating a peanut butter and honey sandwich
    digging your feet into the sand
    growing heirloom tomatoes
    learning to can your own fruit jelly
    tiny baby socks
    the first taste of moscato
    pretty jewelry
    driving a nail in the wall to hang a picture
    hockey
    a sexy man with green eyes and stubble on his chin
    holding hands in the theater with my best friend
    the color turquoise
    funny british comedies on hulu+
    my pooch
    hope that things will get better
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Trees. Watching ocean waves slapping a beach. Sunny days. Spring. Baby animals. Good music. Art. Halloween. Sitting on a patio and watching the people who walk past. A book you can't put down. Warm summer nights with lots of visible stars in the sky. Laughter. Sneezing. Feeling cozy. The way it feels when a plane speeds down the runway. The smell of baking bread.

So many things. We have a beautiful world, and should try to stay here as long as we can. Lift your head, honey. It always gets better.

:heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

sorry i'm not used to it because people in the past have always done the complete opposite of help..

Yeah, occasionally people on here can be @ssholes, but on topics like this, if you're being serious, people will take you seriously. Maybe re-read some of the responses and try to let the helpful ones sink in. You'll probably always struggle, but I hope that you can find some things on this thread helpful. I read them all, and there were some good ideas.

Just take it one day at a time. You're not going to just wake up tomorrow morning and feel that life is all sunshine and roses. Pick something to work on, like your attitude toward... I dunno... rainy days, and work on that until you feel you can add something else. That's what I've been trying to do and it has helped me :) Good luck.
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    I'm the same way about feeling down and questioning Life. I thought my purpose was to draw and create art, but going to school kind've killed it. It was the only skill I had developed, and I felt useless even at that. Now, I'm trying to learn new tricks, but it's hard struggling through them when you're not very good. I have a hard time using other people as comparison instead of inspiration.
    I'm picking up new hobbies and hoping that my new major will work: that I won't be terrible and useless to the world. I know that sounds silly when some people are struggling with the sick and dying or with money. However, self/esteem/worth/purpose is listed on Maslow's Heirarchy of human needs.

Right now, I'm living because:
    I know I'm good for something. I just haven't figured it out yet.
    I can't wait to see what I come up with. I want to watch myself improve.
    I want to live for those I love. I want to see how they evolve. I couldn't imagine them not being with me in death. Not that I'd want them to die--I just couldn't imagine them being gone.
    I want to see the light of day again. The world can be as beautiful as it is ugly. Sometimes that beauty is in the wrinkles of someone's smile or the smell of a candle. The color of the sun at 5pm. The taste of tea. A hearty laugh. The feeling of warm water slapping my aching back after a particularly exhausting day and then settling down in soft PJs. Falling on a rock after jogging and feeling the pain since I hadn't felt alive in a while, untouched. It reminds me that I am tougher than I think and am capable of healing.
    I want to be able to do things I never thought I could.
    I know I can help others out. I do stupid things to get a smile sometimes. So, worth it in the end. I hope I can help more people than harm.
    Singing. I hope someday to do it in front of others and cheer them up. Lots of practice from my current point.
    Death is defeat in my situation. For others who've lived their lives and done everything they could and say, want to see their family who died awhile ago, it could be a good ending. For me, that's not the case.

The only way I could get better was to realize no one would or could help me. My family tried. A doctor tried. They were helpful at times. Other times, they made it worse.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If NOTHING else, your Kitty. -Seriously.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Things to live for:

Bacon
    Roller coasters
    Eating bacon on a roller coaster
    Sharing bacon with your dog

But what got me through my darkest hours was spite. I was NOT going to let my demons win. Happy thoughts about butterflies and unicorn farts just don't cut it sometimes. Sometimes you have to be a Sith, sometimes you can afford to be a Jedi.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Donuts and kolaches...
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My kids...my wifey...GEEEETARS!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sex
  • mineboy
    mineboy Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Sex

mmmmmmmmmmm whats that...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Self esteem... It's one of those things that you don't realise you lost, until you get it back.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Craft beers, nice summer afternoons, deadlifts, cleans, power snatches, wods visiting old friends and having them comment on your weight loss, baseball, football, basketball games in the park, Playstation 4, growing old enough to shoplift and just say you're old and you forgot to pay. Trips to Europe, The iPhone 20, brunch, bacon, bacon, bacon and the fact that someone out there wants to see you live for a very long time