Anyone Else Who Can't Stand the "Taste" of Water?

Options

Replies

• mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will confirm that tap water in Slidell, Louisiana, tastes like sulfur. I hated to shower in it, let alone drink it. And in Monterey, CA, there were lots of minerals that gave it an off taste. You could go to different places that just sell the 5 gallon bottles and ask for a taste. Some filtration is better than others.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love water, not sure why anyone would want to squirt nasty chemical tasting fake sweeteners into it. Blegh.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Oh, for the record, I love water and always have. I do know people who don't like drinking water and have to have some flavoring in it. It no longer surprises me. I assume this comes about when people are raised drinking soda, milk and fruit juices instead of water. It's the American way, and it's not healthy, and I feel sorry for people who don't like water because it is an uphill battle for them. But it's stupid to argue about whether water "tastes good". Water has no taste--but some people don't like that, and it's their right to declare their preferences.

On a more constructive note, some people make "fruit water" by infusing water with a few berries, or cucumber slices, mint, lemon, lime slices, etc. (or you can do combinations). It will have almost no added calories but will have some flavor--perhaps it will be more potable that way to those of you who struggle with it.
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    water doesn't really taste of anything .Why dont you try sparkling water aka plain mineral water
  • TesselCat
    TesselCat Posts: 74
    Options
    Water definitely can have a taste, tapwater especially. I hate the tapwater at my house, cannot stomach it. I just use a filter now and can drink it fine. I'm not totally tossing out a placebo effect, but I'll take it all the same.

E: Also mineral water is among the worst things I've ever tasted. Right there next to marmite.
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Some of us are very sensitive to mineral tatses especially chlorine which frankly tastes like a male body secretion :sick: I've been told I'm weird on this one for sure.

I can only drink filtered water. Ice even leaves a residual taste that I sometimes cant stomach, but with with that being said I keep a 100oz Big Gulp filled with water every day. I use a ton of filtered ice and I put a decaf tea bag in mine to steep which has enough tannins in it to cover the taste.

You're not alone, but it is possible to drink your water you just have to get creative.
    You beat me to it. Both my mother and I are sensitive to the mineral tastes in different waters, especially town and city waters. We add lemons to our perspective waters to cover up that nasty acidic taste. Get creative...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Saying "not to be rude" and then being rude sort of defies the point. Maybe us water haters have a long way to go because we've only just started!!! And having a long way to go will not make me like something I've not liked since childhood (not for lack of trying I might add!)

And because you've only just started recently, you have a lot to learn. People who have been doing this for awhile have learned to drink water. Drinking sweet tasting beverages to stay hydrated will simply make you crave sweet food, even zero calorie sweet beverages.
    And in addition it is not the same as not liking veggies. There are plenty of ways to stay hydrated without drinking water the same cannot be said about eating fruit and veg!

There really aren't any practical and healthy ways to stay hydrated while completely avoiding water. I drink tons of coffee and tea, but they don't replace water, especially if you're exercising reguarly. And as I mentioned before, drinking overly sweeted zero calorie diet drinks will simply reinforce your sweet tooth.

Just get used to drinking water! You'll be healthier and lose weight more easily! Sure tap water can have funny tastes, that's why there are PURE and BRITA water filters! And if you drink it cold most of the taste is masked anyway. Once you get used to it, there isn't much taste at all. It's really just the lack of sugar that most people don't like.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Saying "not to be rude" and then being rude sort of defies the point. Maybe us water haters have a long way to go because we've only just started!!! And having a long way to go will not make me like something I've not liked since childhood (not for lack of trying I might add!)

And because you've only just started recently, you have a lot to learn. People who have been doing this for awhile have learned to drink water. Drinking sweet tasting beverages to stay hydrated will simply make you crave sweet food, even zero calorie sweet beverages.
    And in addition it is not the same as not liking veggies. There are plenty of ways to stay hydrated without drinking water the same cannot be said about eating fruit and veg!

There really aren't any practical and healthy ways to stay hydrated while completely avoiding water. I drink tons of coffee and tea, but they don't replace water, especially if you're exercising reguarly. And as I mentioned before, drinking overly sweeted zero calorie diet drinks will simply reinforce your sweet tooth.

Just get used to drinking water! You'll be healthier and lose weight more easily! Sure tap water can have funny tastes, that's why there are PURE and BRITA water filters! And if you drink it cold most of the taste is masked anyway. Once you get used to it, there isn't much taste at all. It's really just the lack of sugar that most people don't like.

I am not going to get into an argument with you on several points here. I'll just say this. I don't drink plain water much. I am 51, 5ft tall, 115 lbs and have maintained my weight loss for approx 30 years. All of my health markers are excellent. I take no medications. I've been doing this for almost as long as you have been alive! Don't be a fitness snob.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I am not going to get into an argument with you on several points here. I'll just say this. I don't drink plain water much. I am 51, 5ft tall, 115 lbs and have maintained my weight loss for approx 30 years. All of my health markers are excellent. I take no medications. I've been doing this for almost as long as you have been alive! Don't be a fitness snob.

And your point is? I never said it "couldn't be done," without drinking water. There are plenty of people out there, including ones in this thread who already posted before you who lost weight without drinking much water. There are also plenty of people who lose weight without eating veggies and think they're completely healthy (and perhaps some are).

What I'm saying is that MOST people who lose weight, especially the ones who exercise (which is just as important in longevity as losing weight), learn to like water. It's probably not a coincidence!
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Smartwater is the only water that I can enjoy, I guess. I do understand the nasty taste of some water, but I think it's from the purifying process - plus whatever is in it. City -water around here tastes nasty, well water has high iron content in it etc. I add a small amount of frozen berries to my water glass and am able to tolerate it. It's a mental thing.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of water....I use Crystal Light in order to keep myself hydrated.
  • I hate water! It's horrible. I totally agree with you. I only drink it at the gym for rehydration but I can't stand it! I tend to tint the taste of mine with no added sugar squash!

Everyone might think you're crazy - and me too now - but I am right there with you. WATER IS HORRIBLE!!

Ax

Are you perhaps getting it from the toilet?

From a bottle... it's just horrible though. I think my problem is that it is tasteless! I need flavour!

You don't drink for taste. You drink to keep hydrated . Anything just makes you thirsty. I have never seen a topic this insane before. I can't stop laughing. If you need flavor add fruit to it.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options

And your point is? I never said it "couldn't be done," without drinking water. There are plenty of people out there, including ones in this thread who already posted before you who lost weight without drinking much water. There are also plenty of people who lose weight without eating veggies and think they're completely healthy (and perhaps some are).

What I'm saying is that MOST people who lose weight, especially the ones who exercise (which is just as important in longevity as losing weight), learn to like water. It's probably not a coincidence!
    I think thats because most dieters are brainwashed to think "water is the key to weightloss"...people seem to forget that drinks are 90% water, or I would've been dead years ago when I literally drunk only soda. Multi-vitamins....
  • KatieJo_512
    KatieJo_512 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally agree-hate it! It makes me gag!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    as a former water hater, you just need to buck up and start chugging some water. you are so accustomed to having flavoring in everything you drink, that water probably doesn't taste good. I quit drinking everything but water (and the occasional glass of milk) and now my body craves it if i don't get enough.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Smartwater is the only water that I can enjoy, I guess. I do understand the nasty taste of some water, but I think it's from the purifying process - plus whatever is in it. City -water around here tastes nasty, well water has high iron content in it etc. I add a small amount of frozen berries to my water glass and am able to tolerate it. It's a mental thing.
    Our water taste like pool water...Georgia water is brownish and Alabama water is green!!Florida water is disgusting and Tennessee has no taste...yup...water does vary...
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

My point. Some of the things you state could be argued, and they are on these forums frequently & passionately. But when you say "And because you've only just started recently, you have a lot to learn" smack of a fitness snob who thinks he knows it all. I've been maintaining for 30 yrs and I am constantly learning & growing in what I know. It changes as the scientists & doctors learn more. State your opinion, post your links & observations. But if you want to be heard, don't talk down to people.
  • Bellainoz67
    Options
    I agree with you...I couldn't stand the taste of water either. I had to flavour it with peach tea ect. Then I started taking Duromine (Phentermine) and I'm chugging it now like crazy. I actually crave it and don't mind the taste either. It so weird. :-)
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law has always said she hates the 'taste' of water too!! She puts lemons in her water and that's the only way she drinks it
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big water drinker either. I only drink it if I am absolutely parched and there is nothing else around. Mostly I add Wyler's sugarfree lemonade to a quart of water to disguise the taste of the water and I also include in my count, any other liquids I might drink.