A dog you can trust or a dog that will kill?

Options

Replies

• EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    No breed is a bad breed when trained correctly.

This.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options

This.

And the evidence for this statement is where? Oh yeah there is none its just internet rhetoric.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have three dogs, a German Shepard/Husky mix, a Yorkie, and a miniature chihuahua. I also have three kids, they are 7, 13, and 16. We have had at least two dogs in our home since my kids were babies and never had a single issue with any of them. We even had a pitbull that belonged to a friend for a while. It is all about the training and knowing the temperment of the individual dog. Don't put your animal in a situation where you know they may not react well.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    No breed is bad when well trained, BUT you should still never leave a child and dog alone. Any dog can turn.

7 of any breed in one house is asking for pack mentality, which is stupid ownership. I love dogs, but I don't trust them. They're animals.

I have been attacked by dogs. A St. Bernard when I was 4, and it was a severe attack. I was not alone when it happened because I was at a family picnic and was sitting beside my mother. The dog still picked me up and shook me like I was a toy, tearing by back open. I still have small scars all over my back. He'd never attacked anyone before and the owner was dumbfounded.

I was attacked by a poodle over a toy when I was 5. I put a toy down on the dining table, went to pick it up, and the poodle bit me unprovoked. I have a scar on my hand from it. I wasn't alone at the time, either, and I wasn't even paying attention to the dog.

I was attacked by a beagle we failed to rescue. He attacked me to take a sandwich away from me. I was alone at the time, and it was pretty scary. He ripped my jeans but didn't break skin before I was able to get away and let him have the sandwich. I left him alone in the house until my SO was able to help me get him out. I was an adult in my late 20s.

My mother has 3 very well trained dogs. 2 are pure pits, one is a Jack Russell/American Bulldog mix (not a pit, but looks very similar). The time with the kids and all three dogs is very limited. The oldest dog is 13, and even though he hasn't bitten anyone, he has no contact with the kids just in case. The other 2 are very playful, but we still watch and limit time.
  • shirdiana
    shirdiana Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First of all, the dog pictures are adorable! I've had dogs all my life, I usually find that the smaller breeds are more apt to bite, they have to protect themselves because of their size, also it depends on the age, sometimes they tend to get crankier when they get older because their bodies ache ect.. You shouldn't trust any dog completely..they do have animal instincts.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There are some KIDS that I would not trust around any breed of dog.

This is so true. When my 13 year old was little she was so mean to my mother's dog that one day the dog bit her. (It was a little maltese) It wasn't a bad bite, never broke the skin, the dog was just telling her in its own way to stop what she was doing. My daughter came crying to me about the dog biting her and my first question was, "What did you do to the dog?" Then I got the whole story, about her playing (aka torturing) the dog and pulling her tail, etc.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    We have three dogs, the largest is a lab.. she is so sweet and honestly I couldn't see her ever hurting anyone even if someone broke into our house she'd probably lick them...smh.... Then we have our pitbull/doberman and he's sweet as pie as well, though he is protective....then we have the demon.

The demon is the same age as my pit, but a quarter of the size, she is a pomeagle mix and she bites and she bites hard and she doesn't even give a single **** about it. That thing is the scariest of all my dogs, and she's the size of my shoe.

Just saying. XD
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    BTW, pitties are/were known as "nanny" dogs because of their gentle nature and natural instinct to protect their children. Unfortunately they have been bred badly for many years and are common with backyard breeders and gangs (here in SoCal anyway). So pittbull attacks are fairly common these days, not only because there are a lot of pitties around, but because many are bred badly, never received proper training or care or LOVE, or were bred specifically to protect drugs, drug dealers and gang members. Pitties who are cared for, loved, treated as part of the family, and trained do not attack people.

^^ THIS! Best dog I've been around was a Pit Bull my brother had, best dog ever, of course I can't get one until i purchase my own home because nearly every apartment complex has an "aggressive breed" restriction...smh.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I grew up around big dogs, sheperds, rotts, pits, mastiffs, ect and they all were big kind dogs. Why? cause my family trained them and only showed loved and kindness. It really how you raise a dog. So dont blame the pet, but blame the owner
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    42f07a1e-852e-4118-8195-1ef97642662b_zpsf316d508.jpg

24a5d6d5-eece-4a6c-b883-a2260b1a88a6_zpsa91a8149.jpg

Bane_zpsd2b02633.jpg

Supernatural_zps3a87c102.jpg

BabiesampBane_zps643dd8bb.jpg

This is my family! Bane is our newest addition and our sweet baby boy. He is a boxer/pit mix and the sweetest boy. Our youngest hated dogs. We got him on October 15th, 2012 and she didn't want to have anything to do with him. On the ride home she asked if he was staying with us and we told her yes. He laid down in her lap and slept the whole way home. Our daughters fell in love with him quickly. He is loved by all of us, trained well and wouldn't hurt a fly. He is very protective of our girls though. He sleeps with them and stays with them all the time. Daddy plays a little too rough and Bane steps in quickly.

I have trained huskies and mutts and now a boxer/pit mix. Never had a problem with them at all. The only issue I have ever had was my mutt, Kiki, almost attacked my dad while we were wrestling in the yard. He calmed down on command. Bane is the same way. My girls' dad wrestles with them in our living room, when they start screaming and giggling, Bane has a tendency to work his way between my husband and the girls and growls at him. Does that make him a bad or mean dog? Not at all, he is protective of our kids. I seen someone post about leaving a stuffed animal on the floor, Bane won't bother anything unless it's on HIS bed. He barks when someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door but all he does is kiss you to death. He has been around numerous kids and has never been anyone. I agree with the person that said it's not the breed its the person training them.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I love when you hear about dogs killing children but you hear nothing more about the circumstances of the situation or the manner in which the animals/children were raised. It criminalizes the animal when in fact it may have been extenuating circumstances the general public knew nothing about.

But like others have said before, it comes down to training. There are some dogs that shouldn't be around kids. Not breeds-dogs. It comes down to evaluating a dog's tolerance on a dog by dog basis. That being said, knowing the physiology of some breeds is important.

For instance, Male pits brain chemistry changes as they age from a juvenile to an adult. This physiological change can cause behavior changes which, if not addressed, can lead to negative outcomes.

I have taken care of and helped to train almost every type of breed out there. There extremely few "bad" dogs. Those considered "bad" are usually a product of bad training, abuse, neglect, or reinforced negative behaviors. The conclusion, there are more bad owners than bad dogs.
  • runningwild00
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't trust this dog (below) at all.. PSH! (joke). I want to go up to that dog and kiss it's face. How cute!!!

I understand if you have a bad experience with a certain breed, to maybe be shaky around a future dog of that breed. I was bitten by 1 dog, a shih tzu, and for a while I was not comfortable being around other ones. But then I realized, they aren't all jerks

Back to the original question, I would only trust my child around a dog that is properly trained, taken care of well, likes kids and with a good and consistent temperament. I don't care what breed it is. If the dog is trained well and comfortable around children, then that is good enough for me.

Hey, take a look at my killer dog.

268571_2268957683840_6887805_n.jpg

251033_2191648311154_8161644_n.jpg

230331_2100946683670_7442904_n.jpg

230997_2130514262841_5525408_n.jpg

230331_2100946683670_7442904_n.jpg

227225_2060752278835_4965946_n.jpg

224756_2073504917643_3453078_n.jpg

230746_2073506997695_4367834_n.jpg

188339_1954405980244_8287049_n.jpg

250398_2173671221738_5337386_n.jpg

229418_2059671411814_1055578_n.jpg

223491_2059669171758_6288337_n.jpg

229822_2059666931702_728470_n.jpg

206086_1999421145595_3762356_n.jpg

184692_1897999370114_1401784_n.jpg

181756_1897993289962_2878743_n.jpg

180116_1880164364250_2620974_n.jpg

45374_1602070012065_235012_n.jpg

I suggest you visit http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I have a Mastiff named Hula. She protects my children.

I knew Hula had been trained well and that her protective instincts were strong when, after my son was born, I came home from work and walked to his room to take a look at him. Hula was lying at the foot of the bassinet and her head came up and she growled at me softly when I appeared in the doorway. I backed away and we later worked out that kink, but I became aware that she knew her role.

Another time, a couple years later, when my in-laws were baby/dog sitting for us at their house, a man who used to work for my brother-in-law (but who had been fired for coming to work on drugs) hopped the fence and grabbed a power tool from a shed on the property. Hula had been sunning herself and letting the kids crawl all over her. When she heard the racket from the shed, she jumped up to investigate...

...dude almost made it over the fence before Hula caught him....

...she made that dude feel...unwelcome...

...he finally made it over the fence...

...Hula barked and raged at the fence for a while until the retreating guy disappeared...

...Hula stopped barking and went back to her sunny spot in the yard and lied down with the kids again...

...neighbor across the street who'd seen everything walked over to tell my in-laws (who had just come out because of the racket) what had happened...

...brother-in-law had to wash blood off his fence...

Rules:
    1. Don't come in my yard where my kids are playing.
    2. Ring the doorbell I installed at the gate and wait for someone.
    3. Prepare to be f**ked up by 140lbs of dog if you break either of the first two rules.
    * If you somehow manage to make it past Hula, prepare to see how well you dodge bullets.

369_47063040574_4531_n.jpg
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I agree with this 99.9%. However, there is that small percentage of good dogs gone bad (some with very valid reasons) so... I would not own a dog I couldn't kill with my bare hands if I had to. That may sound mean, but if it's between a small child and a dog... the kid wins every time. I have a small boston terrier (17lbs of pure energy) and have no worries with her. However, if she ever "snapped" for some unknown reason she isn't big enough to win in a fight with a person. She is also never left alone with small children... mostly because she'd knock them over and steal their treats. We love our girl very much but there is no comparison between her and a human. I was bitten as a child by a big loveable newfoundland dog. I'm sure I pissed him off in some way and by no means was it a mauling, just a quick snap that barely broke the skin. I'm sure that jaded my opinion and I grew up a little timid of bigger dogs. They don't bother me now, but I wouldn't own one myself because I don't want to be responsible for the sheer strength they have.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Okay how about this: No breed is inherently dangerous. And no breed is inherently safe. But there are breeds that may require more and better training to be properly socialized than other breeds.

Not only that, but every dog has its own personality and there are individual dogs of every breed or mix of breeds that are inherently dangerous no matter how well they are socialized, possibly due to mental/physical defect. There are also individual dogs of breeds known for being either easy or difficult to socialize that are the opposite of what one would expect from that breed.

And there are breeds more likely to cause serious injury or death to a person solely due to the size of the breed and its bite power.

And finally, rounding up every member of a specific breed and slaughtering them is horrible and cruel and doesn't take into account individual dog personalities and training and it should never happen.

Okay, I'm going to stop posting in this thread now. I think I must be part bulldog. I just can't let go of this thread!
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Bane_zpsd2b02633.jpg

OMG That sweet face!!!!! :love: :love: :love:
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I have been bitten by 3 different dogs all cocker spaniels. Cockers spaniels hate me !!!! LOL don't know why.

That being said I believe breeds do what they have been bread to do. Beagles were bread to chase rabbits let a beagle go in the woods and it will chase some animal. Retrievers naturally want to fetch. Pitts and Rotties were trained to fight they are going to fight quicker than say a retriever.

They have a quicker temper and I don't trust them just like I don't trust a human with a short temper.

Except Rotties were originally herding dogs. That is something that I see it in mine quite often.
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also have been bitten by children.
    I also have been known to bite. :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I own "vicious" dogs too. They are incredibly well-trained but I always try to remain aware of who is around them and what they are up to. A dog is only as vicious as its environment. And to whomever said Rotties were bred to kill. You're wrong. They're herding and work dogs. Please educate yourself before you spread "vicious" rumors like that.

76942921.Vq0OqOV6.jpg
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I agree with this 99.9%. However, there is that small percentage of good dogs gone bad (some with very valid reasons) so... I would not own a dog I couldn't kill with my bare hands if I had to.

I never thought of it this way but... this makes sense.