What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• Lunaam
    Lunaam Posts: 1
    Options
    I am spanish and puerto rican. People tend to mistake me for being Indian, hawaiian, simoan, filipino. I often get mistaken for a native american indian by native americans and hispanics. Hispanics from america seem to mistake me alot for another nationality. The only people of Latin heritage that know i'm latina are ones that are born and raised in other countires. I guess they have latinas in their countries that look like me.
  • Jenrosa28
    Jenrosa28 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    People think I'm either hispanic or turkish!!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    6/10 thread resurrection.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've been asked if I'm Canadian too many times to count. I guess people in San Diego can't tell the difference between an okie-dokie-hotdish Minnesotan and an out-and-about-in-a-boat Canadian.

Hey! That reminds me..... Do you know why Minnesota is so cold? Because Iowa sucks and Canada blows! Yeah, I said it.

ETA: Ah crap... dead thread!
  • Syl92
    Syl92 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh so many lol.. Native American, Chinese, Korean. I'm American Japanese, Mexican, Spanish with a dash of Filipino. Lol so mixed.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Something Latin or Hispanic
    Black
    Bangladesh
    Mixed
    White - When I had blonde highlights.

I am Filipino. We get that a lot.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Everyone, every where knows I am American. I have even had cases where I talk to someone fluently on the phone, then they meet me and are surprised that I am American.

In Cuba, people walked up to me and said something about being American even after the nice Canadians gave me a flag to put on my purse.

In China, a group of Japanese tourists at the zoo posed with us not unlike how they were posing in front of the fences.

Do Northern Europeans get this when they travel?!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Hispanic
    Greek
    Italian
    Egyptian?! Lol
    Native American

I really am not sure what all I have on my moms side but my dads mostly German
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Nothing....I'm just a boring looking white girl, lol
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I get "you look very European" a lot. I am European, i just didn't realize there was a "look".
    I also get get asked if i am Russian.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I get mistaken for Italian mostly. One of my old coworkers insisted I must be part black because of my hair, lol. I'm actually half hispanic half anglo (pretty much anything around the UK). My husband was shocked when we first started dating and I told him I was hispanic :laugh:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I get mistaken for a biker all the time...
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I'm 1/4 native (American), and am sometimes asked if I'm 'part Asian' (usually Chinese or Korean is the guess) or occasionally 'part Mexican'. The curly/wavy hair throws most people. The tribe I come from is southeastern and doesn't look like the plains tribes we're used to seeing in movies.

The other 3/4 is Swiss-German, assorted UK, and French ancestry. But I seem to take a good bit after my native side.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You don't get that much paler than me - my family is from somewhere in the British Isles. But, I my eyes are a little on the small/narrow side.

Back in 1st grade, all the kids kept asking me if I was Chinese or Japanese or something - never did identify the "something," but I'm assuming some form of Asian.

I got so sick of hearing it, I finally said, "yes - both Chinese and Japanese." Never been asked since.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks I'm Irish... I mean... everyone. People constantly tell me I'm such a cute Irish girl and have such cute little Irish kids.

Zero Irish here. I'm half Italian, half Jewish. I get an amazing tan for a freckly ginger kid.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    ive been mistaken for someone who cares...a lot
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm part German and part American. Most people always think i'm Swedish or Dutch.
  • starbab311
    starbab311 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am lighter skinned with light hair... compared to my family I am the odd ball.

I am Puerto Rican but constantly get confused for Italian
  • frompster
    frompster Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm half French Canadian, half Welsh, so I have dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin. I've been told I look Italian and Jewish.

Same here. I usually get asked if I'm Mexican. Once on an elevator they didn't ask. Just assumed and started speaking to me in Spanish. When I said, I don't speak Spanish, they laughed and told me I look Mexican or some other Hispanic nationality. I wasn't offended, surprised, but not offended.
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    mountain man