How to Lose Fat for Newbs

Options
124»

Replies

• Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Bumping my own thread, because its really that simple. Ask me anything.

if its one gram of protein per pound and im around 92lean body mass weighing at 24lbs should i be eating around 90 grams of protein and lifting to enable fat loss..

Yes if your're lbm is 92lbs then 92g of protein a day. But don't forget the last rule! Adjusting your calories is what actually "enables" fat loss. Calories in vs calories out. Its all about the deficit. Good luck!

Thanks!

You're welcome!
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am kind of a newbie only at this for about 2 and 1/2 months but I get confused when I see that for how much protein someone should eat. I am 259 and 5 foot 8 inches, and nowhere near all that is "lean" body weight so how does someone who is obese figure out how much protein to eat. Don't know if there is an answer to this or not but it would nice if there was :)

sorry I just saw the answer up above, thanks!! :)
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    Follow these three simple rules:

- Workout 3 times a week with weights
    - Eat 1g protein/lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs/week

Success is 100% guaranteed

All credit to wave_length on bodybuilding.com

Well question...i believe my diary is open but i need help with loosing fat. I'm at a happy weight, not where i wanted to be but eh don't quite care anymore as long as i lose fat and fit better into clothes. I made the mistake of loosing 16lbs without strength training. (I'm a recovering cardio addict.) I have p90x system at home, and weights. I lift heavy during the disks, atleast for me. I max out usually around 8-10 reps. But for the past 2 mons, i've hardly seen any fat loss. no weight gain...but measurements have slightly increased or stayed the same. So nothing is changing and i'm confused and need help.

I'm trying quite hard to change my eating, and eating more protein and i'm finally getting 100+g of protein a day.

So if anyone can look at my diary and help,or give me helpful suggestions. I plan on doing some more cardio in the form of running once it gets warm enough. O...i am a mom to 6 kids. all under 7.5yrs old. I run around a lot and chase them. HELP!
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    I am kind of a newbie only at this for about 2 and 1/2 months but I get confused when I see that for how much protein someone should eat. I am 259 and 5 foot 8 inches, and nowhere near all that is "lean" body weight so how does someone who is obese figure out how much protein to eat. Don't know if there is an answer to this or not but it would nice if there was :)

sorry I just saw the answer up above, thanks!! :)

Everyone has lean body mass regardless of how obese they are. Lean body mass is what you would weigh without any fat on you. For example I weigh 170. Currently out of that 170 lbs 10-9%ish of that is fat. Do the math.

Lean Body Mass = Body Weight - (Bodyweight x Body Fat %)

Example: 170- 170x .1= 153

My LBM is 153.

Which Means I should consume 153g a day.
  • benny1152
    benny1152 Posts: 12
    Options
    So I'm sort of new to this stuff, at the end of february I decided to try and take a more active interest in losing fat and gaining muscle/definition before going to (english) college in the summer, and I bought some weights as the gym is too expensive for teenage ruffians of the likes of myself and decided to get going. I set out a routine of full body with weights on monday, wednesday and friday with tuesday thursday and sunday running and a varied ab routine.

Recently i've found that i've been demotivated already in this short period of time, skipping out most of the running and a lot of the weights, and the tennis that I do usually every saturday has been cancelled a lot for the awful english weather!

What I wanted to know after spewing practically half of my life story in to this post is what should I do to keep motivated and what should I do in terms of the cardio - i'm realising now that burning fat is my goal and cardio isn't actually doing that, and yes I know watching my calories helps and thats why I made this account on MFP about 20 minutes ago, but the goal may be a bit skewed as I was born in 97 and it only goes up to 95 which is a bit annoying but oh well.

Anyway yes, what advice could you give me?

EDIT: I should note that yes I am living with my parents who don't often listen to me when I tell them to not buy crap foods and they do all the cooking for dinner so whilst I get the veggies and stuff it isn't easy for me to control how much protein I get as well as my reluctance to taking protein supplements or shakes

EDIT 2: Lest I mention trying to vaguely calorie count my lunch on weekdays when I'm in school as I eat from our school canteen which means there's nothing to put on the lunch section
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Follow these three simple rules:

- Workout 3 times a week with weights
    - Eat 1g protein/lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs/week

Success is 100% guaranteed

All credit to wave_length on bodybuilding.com

Well question...i believe my diary is open but i need help with loosing fat. I'm at a happy weight, not where i wanted to be but eh don't quite care anymore as long as i lose fat and fit better into clothes. I made the mistake of loosing 16lbs without strength training. (I'm a recovering cardio addict.) I have p90x system at home, and weights. I lift heavy during the disks, atleast for me. I max out usually around 8-10 reps. But for the past 2 mons, i've hardly seen any fat loss. no weight gain...but measurements have slightly increased or stayed the same. So nothing is changing and i'm confused and need help.

I'm trying quite hard to change my eating, and eating more protein and i'm finally getting 100+g of protein a day.

So if anyone can look at my diary and help,or give me helpful suggestions. I plan on doing some more cardio in the form of running once it gets warm enough. O...i am a mom to 6 kids. all under 7.5yrs old. I run around a lot and chase them. HELP!

There is nothing wrong with the food you eat in your diary. You might be experiencing a plateau.

You could do several things but at this point it is about trial and error.

1. Cut out cardio completely because it is an unessential factor for fat loss. I understand you're a cardio addict ;)
    2. You could always recomp and stay at maintenance for a week or two then drop your calories back into a deficit.

How long have you been on p90x? Your body may be adjusting to the amount of heavy weight you lift. No need to freakout if your weight stays the same for awhile. I did notice in your diary that sometimes you're not consistent. There were days on end that you did not log anything. Are you being completely honest about your calorie intake? I ask not to attack you but to make help you become aware. Consistency is key!

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/941846-how-to-lose-fat-for-noobs-part-2-long-version

Read this for other questions as well^^
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    So I'm sort of new to this stuff, at the end of february I decided to try and take a more active interest in losing fat and gaining muscle/definition before going to (english) college in the summer, and I bought some weights as the gym is too expensive for teenage ruffians of the likes of myself and decided to get going. I set out a routine of full body with weights on monday, wednesday and friday with tuesday thursday and sunday running and a varied ab routine.

Recently i've found that i've been demotivated already in this short period of time, skipping out most of the running and a lot of the weights, and the tennis that I do usually every saturday has been cancelled a lot for the awful english weather!

What I wanted to know after spewing practically half of my life story in to this post is what should I do to keep motivated and what should I do in terms of the cardio - i'm realising now that burning fat is my goal and cardio isn't actually doing that, and yes I know watching my calories helps and thats why I made this account on MFP about 20 minutes ago, but the goal may be a bit skewed as I was born in 97 and it only goes up to 95 which is a bit annoying but oh well.

Anyway yes, what advice could you give me?

EDIT: I should note that yes I am living with my parents who don't often listen to me when I tell them to not buy crap foods and they do all the cooking for dinner so whilst I get the veggies and stuff it isn't easy for me to control how much protein I get as well as my reluctance to taking protein supplements or shakes

EDIT 2: Lest I mention trying to vaguely calorie count my lunch on weekdays when I'm in school as I eat from our school canteen which means there's nothing to put on the lunch section

Motivation! For me it is several things. My whole life I have been very lean and I started lifting weight in highschool at age 15 but to no avail I did not make much progress. I failed to realize how important doing research was. I never once considered actually reading stuff about weightlifting and about losing fat. I was an extreme newb! I know how you feel and yes my parents controlled everything I ate lol My first motivation came, was college. In college I gained 20 lbs. Now I am very tall 6'3 even for someone like me that isn't that much I just looked skinny fat :( And I was unhappy with the gut I started to develop and how big my legs were getting.

Now I know I wasn't fat or obese but the fact is I developed worse unhealthy habits in college. My next motivation came when I tried to put on my skinny jeans and they were tight. At this point I HAD to do something! I did my research, I have read hundreds of articles online. I started "officially" training gain January 1 2013 , yes training because I have a goal in mind :) (also during my years at college I weight lifted on and off but i never stuck with it as long as I have now). 3 Months is actually amazing for me, Normally I'd do it for a couple weeks and fail. This time is way different I'm making progress. I'm making a transformation! Honestly I think I'm near addicted to training!

I love it now more than I ever had because I actually have the knowledge to back it up and applied what I have learned so far. The 3 years in high school weightlifting is nothing compared to these last 3 months, I'm leaner, stronger, and this time I have abs! I actually have abs! In high school I never had them once with all of the weights and cardio I did. Back then I did not have a clue. 3 years no experience vs 3 months of knowledge. I'm so much smarter now. I was a dumb kid who benched 1x10 every session! Pathetic! I always plateaued and always failed. My biggest motivation is my failure. Each time I'm knocked down I get back up and remember how weak and misinformed I was.

Also I highly recommend whey protein! Supps have made things more convenient and a lot easier! I also take 5tsp L-Glutamine and Creatine a day.

Be honest with your calorie counting is key! Don't skimp out. This is for the long term not just something to do. This is for life my friend!!! Keep at it.

Oh yeah one last thing I watch Dragon Ball Z! yes I'm a nerd but that show has always had me in awe since the forth grade and that show challenges me to push my self to my limits.

My plans for the future. One day I want to marry my lovely girlfriend and start a family with a couple of kids. I do not want to be that obese dad. I want to be an example to my future family. Right now my girlfriend is in Indiana rowing for Eastern Michigan University. One of our goals is to be an extremely fit family and we would like to open a gym some day even if it is in our garage.

Wrapping things up. Learn from failure and create goals.

How bad do YOU want it?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    <<< Doesn't lift weights. Training for an Ironman. Eating more, moving more. Sickly or skinny fat? No, don't think so.

Edited to say that there are many ways to do this, and your method should be matched to your goals. I have no problem with weightlifters. I plan to do that too. AFTER I am an Ironman :)

One would think an Ironman would be pumping Iron.:ohwell:
  • benny1152
    benny1152 Posts: 12
    Options
    Naturally lean? oh my god my brother is like that and I HATE it! I'm just here with a bit of a gut (slimmer than I used to be, mind) and there he is, doing bugger all and being very lean - cheers genetics.

I'm 5'8 at roughly 137 lbs and I wouldn't really know where to start with supplements and whey protein and all that stuff, i'd just sit there staring at it and wonder how to actually use it. When you say you have the 5 tsp of glutamine and creatine is that you put it in stuff or just off a spoon with water to help it go down?

I absolutely love DBZ as well! I wish we could have hyperbolic time chambers or the increased gravity chambers to train in, it would make everything a lot easier! Congratulations on your goals and motivations I hope it works out for you and by the looks of your profile picture it bloody well is! thank you for your help :)