Pop tarts vs. Toaster Strudel

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently including either one in my everyday diet, but when I do indulge, it depends on my mood. Blueberry toaster strudel is my fave when I want a strudel. When I want a Pop-Tart, it's an unfrosted strawberry with butter on top! I can't believe nobody else has even mentioned the unfrosted Pop-Tarts!!!

That sounds delicious!

Another thing not mentioned: dipping your PopTart in milk like a cookie!
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    What I refuse to do is to excuse your apparent orthorexia.

Well, it's pretty apparent that you share no such obsession.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Well, it's pretty apparent that you share no such obsession.

Truth! :flowerforyou:
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was reading a thread, on MFP, the other day about why is the US of A so overweight. I think this thread has answered that question.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Taste-wise, the Toaster Strudel, but the Pop Tart wins for laziness. TS requires assembly, and sometimes more than one cycle in the toaster.

Ha ha...this ;)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

There, that's actually a healthy breakfast that will leave you feeling full, contribute to the creation and retention of lean mass, and avoid giving you Type 2 diabetes.

So all you've done is compared pop tarts to eggs. I still fail to see why you call it garbage? How's it going to give me type 2? Sugar doesn't give you diabetes. Why do I claim that? Because science.

I hit my micro nutrient goals quite easily by nautre of my diet, which you seem to ignore. By the time I've finished my third meal I've eaten 2 - 2.5 lbs of vegetables, 1.5 - 2 lbs of lean meat (primarily chicken breast), almonds, cottage cheese, whey, a mutli-vitamin, & fish oil supplement. As well as 16+ glasses of water.

I don't eat breakfast, so that argument is invalid.

To what would you like me to compare your vaunted Pop Tarts? A chicken breast? A clump of broccoli? How about a protein shake, which someone else mentioned? Pop Tarts are garbage - I won't even mention what goes into them as far as preservatives and food coloring, so let's just focus on the basic ingredients: bleached flour, sugar, and fat to hold it all together. Or, from Kellogg's own website: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), BROWN SUGAR (SUGAR, MOLASSES), SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS), CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CRACKER MEAL. I'll stop there before we get to the stuff that can't be pronounced (your "science", I believe).

In your diet you describe, do you routinely sit down to eat a bowl of flour (don't let the "wheat" part fool you, all flour is wheat-based, they're not contending whole wheat)? Plenty of sugar? Doing shots of palm oil, the worst of the oils? Mainlining corn syrup?

I hope the answer is "no". I mean, after all this is not myFATnesspal.com, unless I'm mistaken.

If you can read just that partial ingredient list, and not come to the conclusion that, yes Virginia, Pop Tarts ARE garbage and Frankenfood - well, there's not much more to say.

You seem very hangry, would you like a pop tart ice cream sammie? :flowerforyou:

706x327.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Pop Tarts aren't a drink, and correlation does not equal causation.

If you want to keep rationalizing your dietary choices, I'm not going to burst your bubble. But results speak for themselves.

It's rational to eat food. It's irrational to suggest that food never be eaten. I do agree that results speak for themselves. I'm proud of my successes!

The point about the drink is that liquid sugar hits your system quicker. Diabetics are advised to avoid sugary drinks, including fresh juices, unless their blood sugar is too low, in which case a glass of OJ is the perfect remedy.

oh hell no...
  • GetNFitKitCat
    GetNFitKitCat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    neither are really good for you but if I had to choose between one or the other I would go with the Strudel
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

There, that's actually a healthy breakfast that will leave you feeling full, contribute to the creation and retention of lean mass, and avoid giving you Type 2 diabetes.

So all you've done is compared pop tarts to eggs. I still fail to see why you call it garbage? How's it going to give me type 2? Sugar doesn't give you diabetes. Why do I claim that? Because science.

I hit my micro nutrient goals quite easily by nautre of my diet, which you seem to ignore. By the time I've finished my third meal I've eaten 2 - 2.5 lbs of vegetables, 1.5 - 2 lbs of lean meat (primarily chicken breast), almonds, cottage cheese, whey, a mutli-vitamin, & fish oil supplement. As well as 16+ glasses of water.

I don't eat breakfast, so that argument is invalid.

To what would you like me to compare your vaunted Pop Tarts? A chicken breast? A clump of broccoli? How about a protein shake, which someone else mentioned? Pop Tarts are garbage - I won't even mention what goes into them as far as preservatives and food coloring, so let's just focus on the basic ingredients: bleached flour, sugar, and fat to hold it all together. Or, from Kellogg's own website: ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), BROWN SUGAR (SUGAR, MOLASSES), SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS), CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CRACKER MEAL. I'll stop there before we get to the stuff that can't be pronounced (your "science", I believe).

In your diet you describe, do you routinely sit down to eat a bowl of flour (don't let the "wheat" part fool you, all flour is wheat-based, they're not contending whole wheat)? Plenty of sugar? Doing shots of palm oil, the worst of the oils? Mainlining corn syrup?

I hope the answer is "no". I mean, after all this is not myFATnesspal.com, unless I'm mistaken.

If you can read just that partial ingredient list, and not come to the conclusion that, yes Virginia, Pop Tarts ARE garbage and Frankenfood - well, there's not much more to say.

Oh dear! You missed the point entirely.

And your assertion that someone who does incorporate these foods into their diet are fat is really rather ridiculous.

Oh, and " I'll stop there before we get to the stuff that can't be pronounced (your "science", I believe)." lolwut?

ETA: Quote from Eric Helms, who has his Master in Sports Management, is currently getting his PhD in Sports Nutrition and is a pro natural body builder and power lifter: "Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food!"
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this post is 6 pages. I don't know if I should be filled with shame or pride. Or strawberry goodness.

STRUDEL, STRUDEL,STRUDEL!!!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Toaster Strudel FTW!
  • mdhughes33
    Options
    Pop Tarts if they were vegetarian, so Nature's Path Organic Frosted Toaster Pastries chocolate or cinnamon.
    I don't think toaster strudel is vegetarian, but i'd try one that is :)
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts because they're good hot or cold:happy:
    Brown sugar cinnamon.:tongue:
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I feel like im missing out as i have never eaten either....
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

i love how these threads always result in some food phobic (usually a member in good standing of the paleo/primal/clean eating cults) posting the list of ingredients in pop tarts (or toaster strudels) as a way to prove they are "bad". :laugh:

ooohhhhhhh scary! ...eh, kids?

sctv_joe_flaherty_count_floyd.jpeg
  • anaavocado
    Options
    I LOVE cinnamon brown sugar Poptarts and sometimes a cherry one
    But Toaster Strudels are good no matter what flavor, especially the mixed berry ones. SO GOOD - with or without icing
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i love how these threads always result in some food phobic (usually a member in good standing of the paleo/primal/clean eating cults) posting the list of ingredients in pop tarts (or toaster strudels) as a way to prove they are "bad". :laugh:

ooohhhhhhh scary! ...eh, kids?

sctv_joe_flaherty_count_floyd.jpeg

food phobic? orthorexic? really? we're still doing this?

enjoy your thread, but the thinly veiled digs about having a psychological disorder need to stop. it's no different than calling someone anorexic which would get your reported/a strike/banned/etc

many, MANY people prefer not to ingest synthetically produced chemical additives, and that's perfectly fine.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    They're both disgusting.

Eat a quality pastry.

ac2_zps80e06512.jpg

ac1_zps6910b4dc.jpg

ac3_zps94779cb7.jpg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

This I just can't let go. From the American Diabetes Association website:

"Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes.."

So, yeah, excessive sugar intake is linked to diabetes. But have it at, "science" is on your side - right?

I will respond to all of this much more later when I'm not using my phone. I do need to mention this now though: If you look just a little bit into that statement you have bolded you will find that that comes from their conclusion that the caloric density of sugary drinks and their ease of consumption leads to excessive caloric intake. Which leads to obesity over time, leading to a cause of type 2. It is NOT the sugar they're actually warning about.

Edited for typos
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This I just can't let go. From the American Diabetes Association website:

"Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes.."

So, yeah, excessive sugar intake is linked to diabetes. But have it at, "science" is on your side - right?

I will respond to all of this much more later when I'm not using my phone. I do need to mention this now though: If you look just a little bit into that statement you have bolded you will find that that comes from their conclusion that the caloric density of sugary drinks and their ease of consumption leads to excessive caloric intake. Which leads to obesity over time, leading to a cause of type 2. It is NOT the sugar they're actually warning about.

Edited for typos

Adding to the quote so it is not so cherry picked:

"The association that we observed between soda consumption and risk of diabetes is likely a cause-and-effect relationship because other studies have documented that sugary beverages cause weight gain, and weight gain is closely linked to the development of type 2 diabetes,"

^^this is for ad lib eating/drinking and should not be relevant when people are tracking calories and therefore not gaining weight...somewhere possibly like..just maybe...here!