Replies

• calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    i always get filled up with the label serving portion sizes
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    1) No one is arguing that obese people don't often disregard serving sizes. No one is arguing that obese people can't do math.

2) Even as contentious eaters, serving sizes still remains a frustration

3) Does anyone really break up their 20 ounce soda into 2.5 servings?

4) It's tricky and underhanded that companies do so.

^
    This

thank you.

it's not ONE thing or ANOTHER thing that is solely responsible for obesity in this country. it's en environment and a culture that makes it EASY to be obese that's at fault, and allllll of these things (including labeling practices) are a part of the issue.

people in here be trippin'
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How many obese people are reading labels or worrying about serving sizes? None that I know. You don't get to be obese by worrying about your calorie intake.

Absolutely correct. However, let's hypothesize said obese person is trying to lose weight & eat better. Couldn't the ridiculous portion sizes be a factor in weight loss failure? I obviously don't think labels make people fat. Unless they are eating them too.
    What your saying is the portion sizes are too small and child like really, i know ive measured cereal out and thought, omg doesnt even fill half the bowl, maybe a few mouth fulls and thats it. but its not about the company serving size, there just following guidlines and if your wanting to stay a healthy weight, you follow them.
  • Maridonna
    Maridonna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Very powerful. Best to you.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight it was due to self control.

Not math.

^^^THIS!^^^ I was also lazy. People can blame who and whatever they want, it takes the accountability away from the individual and that is it. I was fully aware of how many calories were in a WHOLE bag of chips but it didn't stop me from eating the bag of chips. If people don't want to read the label and understand it then that is their fault but for the most part obese people might simple not give a crap. You can also figure your own serving sizes based on the info on the labels. I do this so that I can eat the right amount for me. You will need math to do this though. I am awful at math (it is pretty sad) but I figured it out.
  • barryarnold18
    Options
    People (me as well) are overweight because we eat too much and exercise too little. The food industry and advertising does not help but its down to us ultimately.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, cereal bowls were more the size of today's typical vegetable serving bowl. As a result, we ate a lot more cereal. Today, when I measure out that 3/4 cup and put it in a present day cereal bowl, it looks like a lot more than 3/4 of a cup.

I do agree that serving sizes need to be more realistic. But people also need to be JUST as realistic.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    How many obese people are reading labels or worrying about serving sizes? None that I know. You don't get to be obese by worrying about your calorie intake.

THIS!!!
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I know food labels. I look at food labels. I can usually guess serving sizes and calories in foods fairly accurate now that I have been paying attention to it for so long. However, that does not mean I actually stop eating at 1 serving because I know what 1 serving is <----That is the problem.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Some things should just say don't eat. Like if you eat a good hamburger and fries. Only half of it of course. It can be Close to 10000 Cal. Really I just try not to eat it. Like I told my husband what's the point. I don't think its healthy to consume that. So usually. About a quarter of it with a salad is more realistic. Crazy but that's what my nutritionist told me. I agree labels suck but its up to us to eat sensibly.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is the disparity between the serving size shown on the packet front and the recommended serving size. Cereals show bowls brimming over with cereal but the 30g recommended portion just covers the bottom of the bowl. Before I started weighing portions I just assumed the picture on the front represented the advised serving.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What they should do then, is stop selling oversized bowls and plates, and sell smaller ones.
    That way, people think they're getting more food than they are.
    Mini cookies usually mean people tend to eat far more they should - and it has little to do with how many calories or g of sugar they contain.
    Nouvelle cuisine is a pet peeve of mine. It looks pretty, but a tiny crumb on a huge plate isn't helping anyone.

I'm fat because I made those decisions. I know how many calories are in a serving, and I know how to measure the serving out. But before I started this journey, I didn't care. I liked my food, and wasn't going to let some numbers stop my eyes from deceiving my stomach.
    To be honest, my portion sizes haven't changed that much, but I work out now, whereas before I didn't.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I can't accept that people are fat because they are too stupid to read a label.
    Look lady, I was morbidly obese / obese class 3. Did I get that way because, as you put it, I was "stupid"? No. I am actually fairly intelligent. I'm not a scientist or doctor, but I'm not stupid.

I got to Err2 pounds by simply NOT GIVING A **** about what I ate. Plain and simple. That doesn't make me or anyone else stupid. Some of us simply did not care about food or nutrition beyond "does it taste good? If yes, then eat. If not puking, eat more." Labels do not even factor into it. Calories, macronutrients, micronutrients - doesn't matter. And many restaurants and fast food places don't even have the info labeled in their establisments, and 75% or more of my meals came from such places.

It's a fact you have no choice BUT to accept: some people just do not care about things you think they should. And whether that's whales, seals, trees, 9-11, Twilight, or food, it doesn't make them stupid. It makes you weird.

I think you misread what I wrote. I said I can NOT accept that obesity is the result of stupidity. You hit my point home with the bolded portion above. I completely agree with you. (See underline)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Look lady, I was morbidly obese / obese class 3. Did I get that way because, as you put it, I was "stupid"? No. I am actually fairly intelligent. I'm not a scientist or doctor, but I'm not stupid.

I got to Err2 pounds by simply NOT GIVING A **** about what I ate. Plain and simple. That doesn't make me or anyone else stupid. Some of us simply did not care about food or nutrition beyond "does it taste good? If yes, then eat. If not puking, eat more." Labels do not even factor into it. Calories, macronutrients, micronutrients - doesn't matter. And many restaurants and fast food places don't even have the info labeled in their establisments, and 75% or more of my meals came from such places.

It's a fact you have no choice BUT to accept: some people just do not care about things you think they should. And whether that's whales, seals, trees, 9-11, Twilight, or food, it doesn't make them stupid. It makes you weird.

I think you misread what I wrote. I said I can NOT accept that obesity is the result of stupidity. You hit my point home with the bolded portion above. I completely agree with you. (See underline)

there is so much beautiful irony going on right here in the fact that she misread your post.
  • leighann881
    Options

no but you can say 120 x 2.5 = 300 really... we all have calculators on our phones and that can be done in your head.
  • leighann881
    Options
    i always get filled up with the label serving portion sizes

me too. It is a "suggested serving size" for a reason.
  • leighann881
    Options

there is so much beautiful irony going on right here in the fact that she misread your post.

I know. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :wink: :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    1) No one is arguing that obese people don't often disregard serving sizes. No one is arguing that obese people can't do math.

2) Even as contentious eaters, serving sizes still remains a frustration

4) It's tricky and underhanded that companies do so.

^
    This

thank you.

it's not ONE thing or ANOTHER thing that is solely responsible for obesity in this country. it's en environment and a culture that makes it EASY to be obese that's at fault, and allllll of these things (including labeling practices) are a part of the issue.

people in here be trippin'

Read my OP, in which I suggested product labeling as a factor not the reason for obesity. Many in this post have suggested I blame product labeling for obesity. Incorrectly so if they read what I typed fully & completely. There can be hundreds and thousands of extraneous factors that result in obesity. It is as if some people half read posts...as they do product labels. Hmm.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

It's a very poorly written post. She should have been clearer. Maybe a few ESL classes?

And I'm a man... Thanks, though, coach.
  • leighann881
    Options

It's a very poorly written post. She should have been clearer. Maybe a few ESL classes?

And I'm a man... Thanks, though, coach.

You're lack of reading comprehension means that I am a poor writer? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You misread. Own it. Don't be a **** about it. Maybe you're the exception to the stupid rule?