Replies

• kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I made Sesame Chicken in the slower cooker yesterday and had it with quinoa and broccoli... it was very good!
  • kwilliam2
    kwilliam2 Posts: 35
    Options
    Just eat it plain. Who cares what it tastes like, we're eating for the nutritional content, not taste aren't we?!
  • kim2walker
    kim2walker Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    just bought quinoa for the first time too... thanks for posting this question!
  • stork830
    stork830 Posts: 1
    Options
    I make a quinoa loaf that is wonderful from the Whole Foods website:

QUINOA LOAF WITH MUSHROOMS AND PEAS

Serves 8
    Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan
    8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
    Salt and ground black pepper to taste
    1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    3/4 cup rolled oats
    2 cups cooked quinoa
    1 cup frozen green peas
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley and/or 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
    10 sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
    1 cup chopped red onion
    Method:
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch loaf pan with oil; set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, put beans, oats and 1/2 cup water into a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, bean mixture, quinoa, peas, parsley, tomatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to prepared loaf pan, gently pressing down and mounding it in the middle. Bake until firm and golden brown, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Set aside to let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Nutritional Info:
    PER SERVING:170 calories (35 from fat), 40g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 8g protein
  • tanialuke
    tanialuke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tanialuke
    tanialuke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just eat it plain. Who cares what it tastes like, we're eating for the nutritional content, not taste aren't we?!
    No! Why would you do that?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I bought a cookbook.

You can soak it on water for half an hour then bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Granola! Just add what U like
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I just made some the other day.1/2cup quinoa, 1lb ground bison, 10oz chopped spinach drained, 2 green onions and about 4tbsp Paul Newman's peach salsa. I cooked the meat. Once browned added spinach and green onion. Cooked the quinoa seperate, added it to the meat mixture and topped with salsa. The salsa's sweetness put it all together
  • megsudlik
    Options
    My fav is quinoa Greek salad. Make quinoa and cool to room temp. Add red onion. Green pepper. Cucumber. Grape tomato sliced in half. Back olives. Feta. Perfect brown bag lunch!
  • middleton110
    middleton110 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've taken to making quinoa in a crock pot for an easy oatmeal-esque breakfast, but it could totally be something you prepare in the morning for an easy dinner.

1/4 c. quinoa
    2 1/2 c. broth, water, or milk (depending on your preference)

cook overnight on low.

My crock pot only has 1 setting (high), so I usually up the liquid, but it's a good basic ratio. I've made it with light soy milk, frozen blueberries (feel free to toss in frozen!) and walnuts, or with veggie broth, chili, cumin, chives, and jalapenos. I also like to decrease the quinoa amount (to 1/3 c.) and add either chia seeds or ground flax (~2 tbl) for a thicker texture and added fiber. Depending on how many calories you're shooting for in your breakfast it can be 2-3 meals. I've found with the veggie broth and chia/flax, I hit a perfect ratio of carbs-fat-protein without any sort of effort at all. :) I'd recommend too splitting into maybe 3 meals and adding a piece of fruit (if you do a savory version) so you have quick morning energy while your body burns the whole grains.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I put it into porride, soups, pasta, salads, cereals. Basically anything where it can absorb some water.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I make chilli and substitute quinoa for the meat. I do the same with bolognese sauce.
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump Great recipes. I made it for the first time and Did a INdian saute.
    Cooked Mushroom, Onions to soft then added garlic to Coconut oil. Then added cumin curry,then added cooked Lentil and Quinoa.
    Excellent and so delicous and filling. Topped with Cilantro and green onions. So gooooooooood
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I wasn't hungry BEFORE I started reading this thread! :(. YUM!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Cook it chicken stock for flavor.

I like to make quinoa burrito bowls with quinoa, chicken, sauteed onion & pepper, salsa, black beans, and sour cream. Yummy and filling.

These were also really good: http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=295657040
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Eating Well magazine had easy quinoa recipes this issue.
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/easy_quinoa_recipes