WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just wanting some motivation to really get started on my fitness goals. Always seem too busy to work out. I'd rather be outside working, than working out.

Working outside in the yard should burn lots of calories if you're doing bending and raking and hauling things around out there. I think you should count it toward your exercise goal.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    <>bump I am a jogger and yard work kicks my butt. Count the gardening for sure.
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, haven't been on this site much in the last couple months, but I will try to do better.
    I have had a very busy March and it wasn't the best for me in the weight department. I seem to have stalled out on one of those dreaded plateaus. I upped my calories and stayed off exercise for a few days and got it down another 3 lbs but since have gained one. I'm thinking I need to change up my exercise and start doing more vigorous ones. I can't remember my March goals, they really didn't pan... out so here are my April ones:
    Goal #1--Get more exercise, especially strength training.
    Goal #2--Lose 5 pounds to make my 100th pound lost since June 2012.
    Goal #3--Lose 9 pounds and make it to ONEderland!!! I am so close and yet so far away!!:sad:
    Goal #4--Be patient with myself and don't stress out. The weight will come off as long as I don't revert back to my old ways of eating!! I must stay strong and motivated. That is why I join groups like this. It helps!!
    Goal #5--Eat clean as I can, drink lots of water and walk, walk, walk.

Eileen: Sorry to hear about your parent. Hope she improves. Both of my parents have past on for several years but I still miss them. Enjoy the time you have with them. Hope your visit coincides with a lot of sunshine and warmth.
    Janemartin--hope you can resolve your issues soon. God willing, you will.
    sa933--You are correct. The scale isn't everything. I only lost 6 pounds last month, but took measures at the end of the month as usual, and lost 8 1/4" over my body. I couldn't see it but the tape doesn't lie.

Opps...got to go. Husband is back and we need to go to the farm for a nice walk. :smile: Good luck to all you ladies this month.

June from Missouri.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Saving my spot for later. :smile:

Have a great day everyone.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for setting us up for April. Just marking my spot but popped in to wish all you gorgeous girlies a lovely Easter. Been pootling along, some good days & some not as good as they should have been. Trying to have more good days. I feel so much better, more invigorated when I do.

Planning meals for next week now so need to catch up later.

Geri in England
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I haven't had time to read the thread for the past week, and this week probably won't be much better. I'm doing okay on eating and exercise, though.

The April issue of Herlife Magazine in Denver is out, along with my daughter Sohayla and Charles' wedding beginning on Page 44! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

http://www.herlifemagazine.com/denver/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/epdf_HERLIFE_DENVER_APRIL13.pdf :heart:

Things with my father took a bizarre and upsetting twist on Thursday. He had a CAT scan done at the beginning of February. I had a call from the VA saying that it showed a shadow on the pancreas, and then never heard another word. When we were in a routine appointment with his hematologist on Thursday, I told him that I had never heard back and would he mind taking a look. He did, and said that the CAT scan showed that my father had a major hiatal hernia and that his stomach had moved completely out of his abdomen and was high in the chest cavity against his lungs, and it was upside down and twisted. HOW COULD RADIOLOGY FAIL TO SEE THAT WHEN THEY READ THE SCAN????

They say that if the stomach twists again he could be dead on the spot, so this apparently has been a known danger for over six weeks now, except that they seem to have missed it. They also say that there is internal bleeding from the stomach. So we are looking at surgery as soon as possible (emergency consult tomorrow). The problem is that my father is in extremely poor health and I've been told that he couldn't survive a major surgery. The last time he had anesthesia, his top blood pressure number hit 400 and they had to stop.

Needless to say, I'm pretty upset about all of this. :cry: :angry: :cry: Someone really dropped the ball and was majorly incompetent. I just don't understand how something so major could be missed in reading the scan.

Jane in Colorado
  • struggeling53
    struggeling53 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump, would love to join this group of amazing woman.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

Not sure if this is going to work as this is my first attempt to post a picture. This happen to me when I used my Wi Fit today. Not my picture but credit to the person who posted on the Internet

image_zps500e8e3a.jpg

It really made me smile!

Jo

I fixed this by changing the IMG at the beginning and the end to img
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi Judith - how did the surgery go and your food plan for recovery? - Deb
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Winter is hard on me and I really start to lag. My goal for March was to get my butt in gear and moving. I wanted to bike 300 miles in March and I hit 301.

My goal for April is to bike 400 miles and add in strength training at the gym 2 days a week and light training at home 3 days a week.
    Also to remember to take my thyroid meds every day, and on time.

exercise.png
  • cdiele
    cdiele Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HI, I am new to the group because I will be hitting the big 5-0 at the end of the month. I've lost about 12 pounds since Thanksgiving, but for the last few months I've haven't been very consistent on logging in my food and keeping track of my calories. Soooo, I'd like to get back on track continue my goal of losing 20 pounds before 50. Also, I have a goal of only weighing myself one time per week and not every day because that seems to throw me off. Looking forward to a great month!!:smile:
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A quick 'bump' to mark my spot and then I am off to tackle the mountains of laundry from weekend company! It is a glorious day today, and again tomorrow according to the forecast - so hope to get out to enjoy it before the temp drops agan and we head into some overcast gloom! have a great day all1
    glenda
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and hope the April Fools jokes are all fun for you. Evidently I didn’t set any March goals so I guess I’d better set some for April.

April goals
    1. next goal weight 133 by end of April
    2. get more consistent with exercise program
    3. water – a minimum of 8 glasses per day and get up to 9 glasses often
    4. maintain a positive outlook and “stay in the moment”

March was not my favourite month, too much work stuff going on, but I am looking forward to April and to getting over to Vancouver Island to visit my DD1 and sisters. I was meant to go for Easter but work things got in the way, so I plan on taking a few days off work and getting over there. Hopefully I can get a cheap flight because I don’t feel like losing two days to driving.

Thanks to Barbie both for goal number four and for keeping the thread going for all of us VitaminF’s.

Barbara – nice to see you (or hear you or read you or whatever it is we call this).

Jane and Eileen – I am so sorry to hear about your parents’ medical struggles. Keeping good thoughts for their health and your peace of mind.

Another beautiful day here, supposed to hit 22, 72 for the American contingent. Everything is budded out except for my huge maple tree, the tamarack and the garden shrubs for some reason. I guess it turned too warm too fast and they haven’t quite caught up yet.

I am planning on finishing all the yard raking today, this morning actually, then on to mending and hemming and altering a few things that I don’t want to give away. I might have to raid the winter closet for shoes though as I notice all my summer shoes seem to be open toe and it’s a little early for that yet.

Hi Ho Hi Ho it’s off to work I go, the yardwork calls…..

Lila in sunny SE BC
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Robin
    Hope your planning on leaving from Dawson city and see the tops of the world hwy it's like your sitting on tops of the world it's beautiful. And visit the park in Fairbanks. And don't forget to visit Skagway. We didn't make it to Anchorage hubby hates cities. But i'm sure you will enjoy your holiday it is great. You might want extra tin foil for the bedroom windows. Remember no night up there in summer.

Michele
    Here there's two masses one English and one in French so you can go to either in my case I can go to either.

Kate
    Sherwood park my sister in law is there visiting her mom right now. She sent pictures still lots of snow.

Moxie
    I will be eating fresh eggs come June my nephew ordered a bunch of laying hens. And he ordered meaty ones to kill in the fall.
    He also went and got 6 little pigs. My Mom used to farm out where he is. He has the farm across the road from the family farm where my brother still lives. Going to be nice to see farm animals there again.

Barbie
    Thank you very much for your very dedicated time for us here.

Deedee
    So sorry you had a set back. Sure hope you are on the mend.

Katla
    Would be April food alright to wake up at goal.

Brooke
    Great month.

Well yesterday went fine. Went over my calories but not by much. So today will make it a very low day. And all should be well.
    Wii gave me a smile this morning. Liked yesterday's food better than the fish on friday.
    Had a great family day yesterday the whole family came all but one nephew that had to work nights.

I didn't do well in March I still have to lose 2 lbs to get to my very lowest. So doing that and an extra five or more for month of April. Not setting goals just going to do what I know has to be done to lose this weight.

See you all lighter.
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • shred2013
    shred2013 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just happen to come accross this blog. Please count me in.
    My April 2013 goal are:
    Hope to lose:happy: 10 pounds
    Exercise 30 Days Shred - I exercised this morning, it was hard
    Kickboxing - Tuesday (1 hour)
    Personal Training w/small group- Wednesday (1 hour)
    Yoga - Thursday (1 hour)
    Take my dog for a walk (1 hour) per day.
    eat within my calorie1200 per day.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie - thanks again for keeping the thread going.

These are my goals for April:
    -Eat for health
    -hit 30 g of fiber each day, which means a lot of fruits and veggies, mostly fresh
    -continue with 14 week training program for the 10K on April 28 - as a walker
    -1x/week Zumba
    -riding my bike to/from work when the weather is good.
    -Continue to post veggie/fruit 1-day challenges
    I am not setting any weight reduction goals, as the weight is coming off very very slowly and I don't want to be obsessed by what the scale says.

I have lost 17 lbs since Feb 1/12 and 4" off my waist. The rest of the measures I don't check. How my clothes fit tell me the story. My rings have been fitting again the last 2-3 weeks, which is another good sign.

In April I will have repeat blood work done. I will be very interested if the healthy plant based eating will result in lowering cholesterol medication, although high cholesterol is in my genetic makeup.

I still have a day off today, and must do some bookkeeping. Have a great day.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You're exactly where I am. I had lost 20# as of the beginning of last summer and by the end of the year I had put 5-6 back on and just can't seem to get rid of them. I think I exercise quite a lot, probably the problem is my chocolate Doves that I have after every work out, although they are only 42 calories. Then I have an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie for after dinner, modified to be healthier recipe.
    I'm trying to increase my fiber, finally have gotten the protein up to 50-70 per day and think I may have lost 1#, hopefully. I haven't recorded it yet as I want to be sure.
    My exercise consists of aqualates 2x wk; swimming 30-40 min 3x wk, strength training 2x wk for 30-60 min.; treadmill about 4-5 x wk and recumbent bike 3-4 x wk. I would like to get back to water aerobics but time is a problem. I was doing that earlier when I was losing.
  • gyttyup
    gyttyup Posts: 1
    Options
    Happy to find this group! Looking forward to the additional support, ideas and camaraderie! :happy:
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Would love to join you, Thank you for the invitation!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options