Is My Cat Orthorexic?

Options
CoachReddy
CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
He used to eat whatever food we put in his bowl, but lately he's getting picky... first he just turned his nose up at the regular cat food - friskies... that was no big deal because I just kept trying different foods figuring we'd find something he likes... but then it just kept getting worse and worse to the point where he would literally pick out the little meaty bits in a really expensive and organic brand of non-processed cat food - he wouldn't TOUCH the rest of it.

Well my worst suspicions were confirmed when I'd been gone from the apartment all day, and came home to find my cat watching Forks Over Knives and Vegucated on Netflix! Worse than that, he'd done some google searches and found some websites that told him that processed foods were going to give him cancer and that he'd be better off if he only ate whole foods the way his ancestor cats would have eaten.

Guys... is my cat orthorexic? What can I do!?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It would make sense. Cats are generally pretty fussy about what they eat anyway.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    D**mit, Reddy, don't make me like you!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    This seems serious. Is he at the point yet where he has begun searching your cabinets/fridge and tossing YOUR processed food? If not, there may still be a chance to get him back to normal. If he has, then you're screwed. He's going to be monitoring your every move that you are following a clean diet.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Calm down and get him a Pop Tart, STAT!

nyan-cat-pop-tart_zpsc7567ddf.jpg
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Some cats like a change of pace in food. But it can get expensive and time consuming continually switching brands (not to mention the possible yak factor of the cat trying to constantly digest different brands), A vet would best be able to address how to proceed with this issue. It is also possible that there is a psychological influence at work here (kitties can respond to stress with food, just like humans!) Check to see if any changes have been made in his or your daily routine.

In concurrence with all of this, trying getting him to watch National Geographic. Maybe viewing some healthier, more species appropriate television (think lion videos!) will help him strive to be healthy and return to his primal nature!
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    But for srs, the only thing you can do is leave Pop Tarts lying around. No one can resist pop tarts.

NO.

ONE.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Maybe even some chips

cats_and_potato_chips_0_zps96ebfa46.jpg
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    have you tried juicing your cat food? Its a bit difficult to do with the dry stuff, but a can of wet food in a juicer is what a cat needs some times. Usually I'll just mix up a cat food and carrot bowl for the cat, and a celery carrot and kale for myself. Its quick and easy and takes less than 10 seconds to get both made. :flowerforyou:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yes he is try more kitty treats like pounce and teach him moderation
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    D**mit, Reddy, don't make me like you!

QFT.

My cat likes fresh veg and especially spinach. maybe they can trade recipes. Course, my cat also likes ice cream and cottage cheese. maybe he can convince your cat to live a little.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You should give him milk!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    have you tried juicing your cat food? Its a bit difficult to do with the dry stuff, but a can of wet food in a juicer is what a cat needs some times. Usually I'll just mix up a cat food and carrot bowl for the cat, and a celery carrot and kale for myself. Its quick and easy and takes less than 10 seconds to get both made. :flowerforyou:

I blend my dry cat food with shakeology. It's the only thing I can think of to do with the free samples I got.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do would be to get him to hunt for his own food. If he kills it, he will know it's fresh and a good source of vitamins and protein. Of course, it would be preferrable for him to kill only grass-fed, organic prey, so you need to find an organic, free range mouse farm.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Moar burgers.

02.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Considering you eat paleo, I'm thinking your cat is just following your example. Start eating kibble, and you should be good to go.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    If he's going online when you're not around, you need to get one of those internet filters. Who knows what else he's been looking at?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It's your own damn fault...slipping him all that aspartame laced milk...using him as a test subject for your twisted nutrition theories!
  • zombiedawn
    zombiedawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously wondering why I never found these boards before. My cat is in a downward spiral and has been for years. I'm glad I have somewhere to go where others can share their wisdom on this matter. Thank you, just......thank you.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sometimes cats just don't like corn.

A cheeseburger is much more preferable.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You should follow kitty's lead and start eating healthier. Because ALL TEH TOXINZ!! ERMAGHERD THE TOXINZ!!