WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• rainbowkim
    rainbowkim Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group too :) I am looking for new friends too. I want to lose weight for my holiday in June. I am 49 years old married with two children age 23 and 17. I love this site it is a great motivator. Not sure how this thread works but i will give it a go.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jane in CO: I am so sorry to hear about your dad’s situation. In your place I’d be mad, too. You’re both in my prayers, and I’m hoping you’ll let us know what happens.:flowerforyou:

Linda in N.Ontario: It is good to see you again. I love the images my mind conjured when I was reading about your nephew’s livestock, and the family farms.:bigsmile:

Renny: You are a rock star; 17 lbs and 4 inches is excellent. You’ve been really making excellent progress.:flowerforyou:

LucyT: “I knew I wasn't going to be within my calorie goal yesterday and I wasn't (by far). I ate many wonderful appetizers, drank 3 glasses of wine, sampled everything at dinner and tasted all the desserts. I didn't even bother to log as I would have no idea where to start. And guess what? This morning I woke up, got my butt on the TM, and did my normal 2 miles. I packed my normal breakfast and lunch for work and went right back to logging.” Way to go!:bigsmile: This is the perfect follow-up to an over-the-top day. At this rate you are going to be very successful. Congratulations!:flowerforyou:

Newbies: Welcome to the group. You get to know us by participating, and that is how we get to know you. I personally love it when people sign using their MFP name and real location.:happy:

We went out for fast food at lunch for the first time in quite a long time, thanks to my request. :devil: The food tasted good and we both enjoyed it, but it had too many calories, too much fat, and too much sodium. :grumble: I can tell DH isn’t feeling great, and I walked part of my bloated feeling off after we got home. :tongue: I don’t expect to do that again in the near future.:noway:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost weight and inches EVERY weigh-in since I started this program, and the difference is very noticeable. I don't find it difficult at all. I eat sensibly (1700 cals. per day) but include Cadbury chocolate eggs, Skinny Cow ice cream bars, and my main addiction, crystallized ginger. I do farm work, clean stalls, use an elliptical machine and a great workout video ( Funcercize beginners workout with Sunshine) using 5-lb. weights. My niece Mel Gibson, a certified fitness trainer, is guiding me. I do not backslide at all because I don't want to waste my hard work. By the way I'm 64. If I had to sum up in two words what works so well for me, I'd say; iron determination.
  • wvgirlnfl
    wvgirlnfl Posts: 30
    Options
    Wow! So glad to find this group. I will post later with some goals, etc. but I wanted to post so I could find it again. Thank you!:heart:
  • majawilltry
    majawilltry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • majawilltry
    majawilltry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me what "bump" means...also DH?

I rode my bike tonight. 6km that's just under 4 miles Whipped me good! I did the Sprint triathalon last two years end of Sept.. and always put back on the weight during the school year. (I'm a teacher.) I want to start sooner than June this year,and have more permanent weight loss, I need to loose 45 pounds total. At 57, it's harder for sure, but I do want to do it! My wonderful son gave me 8 sessions with a trainer for Christmas. I was too embarrassed to call her sooner-but I finally did and have started. I want to take advantage of thid, and improve my Triathalon time. If I could take 10 minutes off, I would have placed this past year. Over a 2 hour race, that should be doable, but only if I start now, and get some of this extra weight off (or....turned to muscle:wink: I'm hoping this thread will encourage me to keep up.:flowerforyou: Now to go chart my calories for the day for the first time.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Didn't do too badly with the March goals but did not lose much weight. Just seem to be holding my own. I am finally off the prednisone for my sarcoidosis and no longer feeling like I want to munch on everything in sight. Yeah! We have been really busy at work so I have not had much time to swim my laps but I did get in today and swam for about 10 minutes until the maintenance guy came down and wanted to talk. I kept treading water while we talked so I did get some exercise anyway.

April goals: Ride my horse at least once a week.
    Log everything I eat.
    Drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    Exercise 240 minutes each week whether it be 40 minutes per day or 80 minutes three days a week. Just get it done.

Welcome to all the newbies! Sending angels to all who need healing or encouragement. Thanks to Barbie for keeping this going. \
    Sue in sunny but cold SD
  • Karenannmo
    Karenannmo Posts: 118
    Options
    bump:laugh:
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, we are on page 4 already!:smokin:
    Kim2 walker- Welcome and feel free to friend me. This group is so wonderful and helpful!
    I have a beverage pitcher that holds 64oz. I fill it every day with water and know I have to drink that much or more. It works great because at a glance I can see where I am with my water instead of counting and trying to keep track of how many glasses I drank. :drinker:
    Rainbowkim- A warm welcome to you, Just stop buy here often, read the posts, and you will be a pro in no time. This is a Friendly and supportive group of girls. Feel free to friend me :smile:
    Good night Friends
    Peace ~n~ Love
    Carol in WNY
  • Andreagay60
    Options
    My sister and I are doing a challenge for ourselves for April and May...a 60 day challenge...not a competition. We are being accountable to eachother and just watching our calories, cutting out any sweets and exercising everyday. We are not going to weigh ourselves again until April 30..... We are not going to tell anyone in our work area what we are doing so....we can NOT complain about being hungry...LOL. Very very anxious to see what happens on April 30. I weighed in this morning and seriously thought my scale was playing APRIL FOOLS with me....but....what I saw was true....I have gained 10 pounds over this winter and I am ashamed of myself. But.....We are on our way back !!!!!!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for being so reliable and keeping us all together. I agree with the post that said she can hardly wait to get here everyday to see what the VitF's are doing.

Jane - CO - it makes me so mad the way our veterans are treated. Praying for a good resolution to your dad's health issues.

Lucy - would you share the name of your DVD for strength training. My March goal was to start weight training but alas it never happened. BTW - Love you NSV with the new attitude about this lifestyle. I told DH I didn't want to go to the club buffet because I can't eat enough to get my monies worth!

Congratulations to all of you Stars who made or exceeded your March goals. I'm proud of you!

Welcome to all the newbies, come back and chat often. Bump is used to mark your spot so you can find it again under MY Topics. DH refers to "dear husband".

Have some exercise to do so I'll close for now.

April goals: Be grateful for what I've accomplished so far.
    Work on 5 f/v a day
    Work on toning my body.
    Sue in beautiful 81 degrees today TX
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Rori – out of the 160s - how great!

Jane – so sorry to hear about your dad’s condition! My MIL was a veteran, too, and had some bizarre medical experiences in their care.

After a bit of a slow start this year I feel I am doing OK with my goals:

Monthly Goals / YTD Monthly Average
    Weight sessions – 10 / 9.3
    Total weights – 166,667 pounds / 176,345 pounds [annual goal: to lift 2 million pounds]
    Cardio sessions – 15 / 13.7
    Cardio time – 10 hours / 9.1 hours

Welcome to all the newbies - such a great thread to follow! (Thank you, Barbie, for setting us up.)

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • c0c0nn0r
    c0c0nn0r Posts: 70
    Options
    bump
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new here and 50ish.
    For April my goals are as follows:
    -continue with the 30DS
    -drink a lot more water ( I hate drinking water although I do drink tea)
    -log my food
    -start riding my bicycle 10 miles per day as soon as the temp gets above 50.
    -lose 8 pounds

I have already exceeded my calories on this first day of the month, but that will be corrected tomorrow.
  • angel_bear60
    angel_bear60 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hi, i'm new to the group. i have made a goal to workout on my wii fitness every day for at least 15min whether anyone else in the family does or not. i'm working on portion control, and not eating out as much. i want to make healthier choices at home and when away. i will track my food and exercise daily. i will increase my water intake to be at 6 galsses a day by the end of april. i will work on not being an emotional eater by finding other things to do ratrher than eat. i will get more sleep.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,914 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Janehadji, thank you for sharing the great article about your daughter’s wedding…..the only thing wrong with the article was that there was no picture of the bride’s beautiful and talented mother.

:flowerforyou: For anyone having trouble drinking enough water, don’t wait to “feel like” drinking water, just do it…..treat it like taking medicine for a terminal illness.

:flowerforyou: For anyone wanting to start strength training and not knowing where to start----“Strong Women Stay Young” by Miriam Nelson…..explains why strength training is important and has a great starter weight training program that can be done at home with a minimum of equipment and no getting down on the floor.

:flowerforyou: Thank you for all your kind words. I have loved this thread from the day I found it in 2009
    I didn’t start it, but when the woman who started it moved on to other things, I agreed to start the new month and I’ve been doing it ever since.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

Resolutions for April
    *work in the yard about an hour a day
    *finish writing my “important information” document
    *answer the two e mails I have been putting off
    *be more mindful about interrupting

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    majawilltry - welcome and Happy Spring

Judith - what kind of surgery are you having? I'm sorry to hear of it. There are lots of ladies who have and are in the same predicament as you and I'm sure they can give you great advice.

trace - welcome. You've come to a great place for motivation and tips. I know what you mean about loving chocolate, so do I. Have you ever had those Dove promises? They are something like 50 or 60 calories each, but they satisfied my chocolate craving.

My goal for April is the same as March's -- work on crafts. Maybe I can get started, ya think????

We called Bryan yesterday to wish him a Happy Easter (he didn't bother to call us). I'd like to know...even Vince would like to know....what the h*** happened to him? He's STILL going on about how we didn't make a good first impression (that was like 1-1/2 yrs ago). We've asked him for months what we could do, we even asked him again yesterday, no answer. He seems to think (at least this is my impression) that the "typical" wedding in the US costs around $30,000 so we should give him money towards his wedding. Oh, he's willing to acknowledge that we do have the expense of flying over there, but he still thinks we should give him money towards the wedding. We know that you can have a decent reception for a lot less and I know what I paid for my dress so I'll double that amount. I bet the total won't come to that much. He told us a while ago that he was going to get a "substantial" bonus. Well, what is substantial? He just told us that it would be around 5,000 euros. He insisted that he told us the amount, but neither Vince nor I remember that, so I don't think he did. So when he gets the bonus, he'll come to the US. Right. Honestly, I don't believe that for a minute. I know when Vince and I got married, we cut corners every which way. I used my mother's wedding rings, the idea being that when we could afford it, I'd get a ring of my own. Well, life happened. Things always came up. Here I am 35 years later, same rings. The kids came along, they needed to be fed, clothed, schooled, we were buying a house. The ring was low on the priority list and it still is. When we got off the phone with Bryan (he was upset that we called him at around 11pm his time, we didn't realize that they'd just changed their clocks and thought it was only 10). Vince said in some ways he's feeling like "screw this, I'm not even going to go". I can't for the life of me imagine not being at his wedding. We told him that we went to a bi-lingual mass, we didn't realize it was bi-lingual. Well, you should have heard him going on and on about how we always make comments about Spanish people, how we feel they are like second-class citizens. We were just commenting on the fact that the mass was twice as long because half was in Spanish and half in English, they had to do two readings in Spanish and then two in English, things like that made it longer.

Did I tell you he sent us an email saying that the town is giving them some sort of problem and the wedding may be the next week. Well, in talking to him, it appears that the house they want to rent isn't available the first weekend, only the second. Wouldn't surprise me if he changes the date so that he can get that house.

grandmalle - wish you had more time with Taliah, but like you said "you take what you can get". That's what she's going to remember

Did 20 minutes of yoga today and then an hour of the extreme pump class. That health club just got a stairstepper. I haven't figured out how you control the rate of steps. I would like it to go faster. Well, I'll get it. Tomorrow I'm thinking that I'll do Jillian Michael's Burn Fat Boost Metabolism tape.

This morning went to WalMart and got Easter candy for Vince that was 1/2 price (plus, I used my coupons), a few other things. Bought gas, then went to the extremepump class. Came home, then went to PetSmart to get more food for Jessica's cats. Aldi is right across the street so I stopped in there. I totally forgot to get lettuce, tho. Came home and Vince and I started cleaning the hot tub. Really, I need to get in the tub but want to wait until it's warmer. Tonight is mahjongg.

Quite upset, Vince told me that he's feeling that the way Bryan is acting, he (Vince) has no desire to go to the wedding. Bryan basically told us that he doesn't want us to talk to Dianna. Why? He keeps talking about how we (mainly me) made a poor impression and first impressions are important. That was over a year ago, and we've so many times asked what we can do, we WANT to get to know her. Vince says when Jessica is here this weekend, he's going to talk to her. Every time I think about not going to his wedding, I can't help crying. I honestly think it would be a very bad idea not to go. We should at least make the attempt to get to know her and her family.

With this stress -- watch my weight go up.

soskinnydenis - welcome! You'll get lots of support here, that's for sure

havingitall - we're glad you come here. Really, it's the only place I come on MFP, it's just so good to talk to people who understand where you are coming from. Oh, sugar is my weakness, sugar and fats together .

Vince bought some fertilizer today, but by accident put too much down so he will need to get another bag.

M - glad you're feeling better. I'm like you, I have to exercise first thing in the morning. Then if I work in the yard, I just consider it a bonus. I'll probably be outside more now if the weather gets warm.

LizPlus - we'd love for you to join us! Oh, yes, that weight goes on so quickly and, you're right, it sticks like glue. But it does come off...eventually.

katla - that's so cute. Wish my Wii board said that to me!

Eileen - prayers for your mom

sa993 - welcome! Congrats on the inches lost. You're so right, so many times the scale just doesn't tell the whole story, but the tape measure sure does

Dottyb - would love to have ya!

jb - love your pic and the poem was oh so cute!

Jane in CO - your daughter is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I'd be upset if it were my father, too. Please keep us informed. Is there something that they can do, or is it just hope against hope?

struggling - welcome

BlisterLamb - good luck on your goal. I'm sure you'll meet it

cdiele - welcome and early happy birthday.

Lin - they do have a mass in Spanish every Sunday, it's just that this time they combined the mass. It was interesting, I must say.

5888 - welcome. Your goals sound very good.

Renny - congrats on the losses, weight and inches.It's always good when your rings fit. Clothing is such a good indicator. Be sure to let us know how the blood work goes

gyttyup and Linda and Kowent and Kim and SushiKite and rainbowkim and wvgirlnfl and everyone else new that I may have misssed - welcome

Lucy in DE - that's the way to do it! Get right back on program. You've got it going girl

Carol in WNY - my grandparents came over from Poland, and to this day I regret the fact that they didn't teach me Polish (even tho I feel like they were the ones who brought me up). But I understand their thinking. They felt "we're in America now, in America we speak English."

moxie - I used to use an oil substitute all the time, but can't find it in any store here in NC, so I've resorted to using pureed prunes in chocolate items, applesauce in lighter colored items.

LaurelFisher - welcome back! You were missed. So sorry to hear of all the going ons in your family.

majawilltry - "bump" means "bring up my post" which means that your post will be listed under "my topics", so just go there, and come here. dh = dear (or d*** as the case may be) husband. Awesome bike ride

twotonnetaric and angelbear - welcome

Everyone have a great evening.

Michele in NC7
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies having read all the lovely messages on here off you I am ready to join in

Goals - Maker sure some walking is done everyday,
    Try to lose every week (does!nt matter how much)
    Eat healthy foods when ever possible
    Get my BMI down from 30 to 25 (very important)

Good luck to all my new friends on 50 PLUS
    Dotty
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!

Welcome to all of our new posters! You've come to the right place for support, advice and friendship. Good luck to you all on your weight-loss journey!

I am afraid to step on the scale today as yesterday was not a good day. I generally ate well during the day but DH baked a ham for dinner last night (he was out of town over the weekend so was craving Easter ham). So... ham, potato salad and mixed vegetables for dinner. Considering that sodium is NOT my friend, my money is on the scale showing a gain today.

Only have a few minutes this morning so will just say that I am praying for those of you who are struggling and celebrating with those who had successes. Have a terrific day!

Sandy, in central Ohio