Detoxinating the liver?

Options

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    1.DO NOT do that. That will be horrible for your body.

2. What I do: Every morning I start my day with a cup of hot water and lemon. I also do a "Detox" Yoga session every morning. It aids your digestion as well. It is just 20 minutes but it is full of twists and inversions which help rinse out your organs.

3.And seek some advice from your doctor. He may have some natural cleansing tips for you as well. A water fast will not be healthy for you in the long run!

Good advise on 1 and 3, but HOW does one "rise out your organs "?????:sad: :huh:

you have never rinsed your own organs? You take a scalpel and cut yourself open..you then proceed to take your organs and put them in washing machine which you put on "gentle" cycle...once washed you dry them and put them back in you = organ rinsing

Crap...Now I will have to go and buy a scalpel.....Can I use coldwater tide or does it have to be an organic rinse agent??:bigsmile: :drinker:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Um, look at the posts. The OP was asking if 2 day water fasts detox the liver and help with cholesterol (along with other benefits) and your response was "It works. Scientific documentary below that explains why.
    http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/"
    And no, I didn't watch the "documentary" nor will I.

Really just wanted to be in.

I know what she was asking and I know what she is referring too, which is why I posted the documentary to clear things up. She's obviously referring to Dr. Michael Mosley's 5:2 diet and used the forbidden word "detox" to describe it. Big deal, she said "DETOX". No reason to act like hell froze over just because she said "Detox".

00F94E3B-2498-461F-9414-C813E2025362-9017-000007EAEEC1F567_zpse2f47874.jpg

(It's ironic that the best one I could find was a cat and its after midnight here)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

2. What I do: Every morning I start my day with a cup of hot water and lemon. I also do a "Detox" Yoga session every morning. It aids your digestion as well. It is just 20 minutes but it is full of twists and inversions which help rinse out your organs.

3.And seek some advice from your doctor. He may have some natural cleansing tips for you as well. A water fast will not be healthy for you in the long run!

Good advise on 1 and 3, but HOW does one "rise out your organs "?????:sad: :huh:

You put a garden hose up your butt... duh!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    i think we all no where this is heading :laugh:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    If you have high cholesterol, most doctors will recommend a diet low in saturated fats - ie avoid cream, butter,fried foods, fatty meat etc - most doctors should have pamphlets giving you some dietary suggestions along these lines.

I dont think a detox fast would be one of their suggestions
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

you have never rinsed your own organs? You take a scalpel and cut yourself open..you then proceed to take your organs and put them in washing machine which you put on "gentle" cycle...once washed you dry them and put them back in you = organ rinsing

LOLLLLLLLLLLL
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    DETOXINATING is not a word hunny
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do that. That will be horrible for your body.

What I do: Every morning I start my day with a cup of hot water and lemon. I also do a "Detox" Yoga session every morning. It aids your digestion as well. It is just 20 minutes but it is full of twists and inversions which help rinse out your organs.

And seek some advice from your doctor. He may have some natural cleansing tips for you as well. A water fast will not be healthy for you in the long run!

I just asked a doctor if there were such a thing as "rinsing out your organs." He says no.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I know what she was asking and I know what she is referring too, which is why I posted the documentary to clear things up. She's obviously referring to Dr. Michael Mosley's 5:2 diet and used the forbidden word "detox" to describe it. Big deal, she said "DETOX". No reason to act like hell froze over just because she said "Detox".

The 'big deal' is that she's implying that the 5:2 diet will cleanse toxins.

It won't. Not anymore than my 7:7 diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Anytime someone doesn't eat for 2 days your going to lose weight by burning fat and as Sara would say, "detoxing isn't a medical term it's a sales pitch". As far as high cholesterol indicating the liver is unhealthy, no, there's no cause and effect happening to my knowledge.

^^yep :happy:

Did your doctor give you advice/mediation for your high cholesterol?

Best things for high cholesterol:

- exercise
    - get a good balanced diet of mainly whole foods
    - lose weight
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your body detoxes naturally through the organs of elimination: skin, lungs, small and large intestines, liver and kidneys

Yes it does
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    ^^yep :happy:

Did your doctor give you advice/mediation for your high cholesterol?

Best things for high cholesterol:

- exercise
    - get a good balanced diet of mainly whole foods
    - lose weight

This advice above is spot on. And do make sure you discuss this with your doctor to make sure you are doing what you need to do. "High cholesterol" is a very broad term and can range from slightly raised to dangerously high - some of which can be helped simply through exercise and diet, some which needs medication.

As for this comment below, the OP was talking about a two day water fast, which is not what Michael Mosley has based the 5:2 on (lower calories on two days, not none). Some people have had success with 5:2 so I wouldn't knock it but for the OP, if she has health concerns then Sara's advice is probably better at this stage.
  • EstherZue
    EstherZue Posts: 39
    Options
    Hey nerdfighter, you can answer the question for yourself really, no need to rely on rumours! :) Excess cholestherol in the bloodstream causes plaque in your artieries, much like coffee does on your teeth, and you are in danger of developing arteries diseases.

Meanwhile the liver has a number of roles in your body, one of them to get rid of toxins. Contrary to what other people have told you here, there may be a need to "detox" your liver and other organs if you are an alcoholic, drug addict or you are going through chemotherapy.

If you dont have the above problems, and here I agree with the others, a healthy lifestyle that exclused drug and excessive drinking/smoking, a healthy diet including vegetables, fruits, wholegrains and meats and regular exercise will keep you healthy, ie prevent the need to "detox".

In terms of diet, I cannot recommend you a raw food diet. Studies have shown that the human digestive system has evolved significantly from cavemen times and that our body today has trouble synthesising enough energy from raw food. But I can recommend a "cooked cavemen" diet, which means you cook everything fresh at home, not using anything prepared from the store. Add a little seasalt and spices, and you will have a near perfect diet.

Good luck.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Whoops. Forgot about this thread. Time to scroll back through the responses to find the name of a toxin that would be eliminated from the body by some detox/cleanse/water fast that would not otherwise be cleared. (Finally, after having asked this question dozens of times over the course of many years, I'm finally going to have an answer. This truly is a very exciting day!) :happy:

ETA: *sigh* Nothing. Once again, I got my hopes up, and once again, they were dashed upon the rocks of a harsh cold reality that no one is willing to answer my eternal question. :frown:

But I will not be deterred, and I will not lose hope! I will continue to seek out detox/cleansing threads and I *will* eventually learn the answer! My quest continues...
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Detoxinating. That made me snort! :bigsmile:
    But in all seriousness... DON'T do it.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Um, look at the posts. The OP was asking if 2 day water fasts detox the liver and help with cholesterol (along with other benefits) and your response was "It works. Scientific documentary below that explains why.

If you or the op think this equates to Dr. Mosley's 5:2 diet then you are both mistaken. The point of 5:2 is to eat lower cals on two days. The OP is suggesting 0 (as in none) for two days. Obviously you are mistaken about what you think you know.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

If you or the op think this equates to Dr. Mosley's 5:2 diet then you are both mistaken. The point of 5:2 is to eat lower cals on two days. The OP is suggesting 0 (as in none) for two days. Obviously you are mistaken about what you think you know.

No, I am not mistaken. You are. It's obvious that you didn't watch the documentary because the whole point is to eat less to live longer. The documentary even starts out with a 100 year old man who barely eats anything. And Mosley's approach is to fast two days a week at a maximum of 500 calories as 500 has the same beneficial effects as Zero calories. The Same thing but you would have known that had you actually watched the documentary.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you gave a high cholesterol, your liver is very unhealthy. I do have a high cholesterol. My friend told me that if I water fast for 2 days every week, it'll help with the cholesterol, burn more fat, and make me lose weight. Has anyone tried this before? Can anyone tell me if this works?
    Thanks!

I would hesitate to take medical advice from a "friend."

Instead, talk to your doctor about things you could be doing to lower your cholosterol. Ask for a referral to a dietician, to get a meal plan that will help with your specific medical needs.

Try to get healthy instead of looking for a quick fix.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

As for this comment below, the OP was talking about a two day water fast, which is not what Michael Mosley has based the 5:2 on (lower calories on two days, not none). Some people have had success with 5:2 so I wouldn't knock it but for the OP, if she has health concerns then Sara's advice is probably better at this stage.

Wrong. If you had actually watched Mosley's documentary, you would have known that it is based on a 3 day consecutive Zero calorie fast that he experimented on himself. He actually had 25 calories a day but those were from Vitimins, so technically not Zero but close enough. Time below to show where since you obviously didn't watch the Documentary.

Time 32:22
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UVscKRz4k6w

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming your doc ran labs to determine you had high cholesterol? Sooooooo.....if detoxing your liver was something that was possible and would work, why didn't your doc tell you to take two water fasts and call him in the morning?

You're clearly not aware how the medical profession keeps us unhealthy in order to profit from us. What benefit is it to your doctor if you're too well to need him. Also, your doctor isn;t getting a kickback or a sweet Hawaiian vacation from a pharma co if he "prescribes" water, now is he? Think about it.