Keep the Clothes or Ditch the Clothes?

Options

Replies

• kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you have something you really like, pay to get it professionally altered. Other than that- give them away!! There is someone out there who can really use them!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm very thrifty and I sew, so I don't get rid of clothes unless I have to take in a ridiculous amount of fabric. Even that's up for debate, depending on how much I like said item. I still have and wear a pair of skinny jeans that used to be a size 14, but over the past year I've cropped them down to a 2!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Unless you are planning on gaining the weight back......get rid of them!!!

It's a mindset. If you decide you won't go back there you won't. But if you don't believe in yourself.....you'll gain the weight back.!

GET RID OF THEM!!!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I must admit it was hard at first to let go of my old clothes but afterwhile of still putting them on I felt really uncomfortable because it was slouchy like.... I just donate.... Get rid of the old stuff and start anew! I buy I couple items that are a bit tight which is my motivation to keep going! You are on the right track, shed that access!
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Ditch the clothes...
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    My guidance - get rid of the larger size items.

Wishing you success.
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Donate the clothes. My theory is that if I gain the weight back eventually I'll want new clothes anyway because my old ones will be out of style.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    With my clothes that are too big, if I really like them I just take them down a size, or I donate them to my local charity shops if they are in good condition and not something I want to keep.
    It depends on how many sizes you have gone down to whether you can resize a dress, though. I've only gone down a size so just took a little off at the waist.
    I got rid of the old jeans that were too big though, and some tops I have that are oversized now I'm taking on holiday to wear over my bikini when I need a quick cover-up. Wearing a bikini is going to be a brand new experience for me and using my old too-big tops to put on when I need to get out of the sun is kinda awesome.
  • msharp23
    msharp23 Posts: 14
    Options
    I donate them right when they start to get loose. In the past, I always kept everything "just in case" and this time "just in case" isn't an option. This isn't a "this time"- it's the last time!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have kept 1 item from each size I have gone down just to keep me motivated... the rest I donate :smile:
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm actually still wearing a lot of it, just really baggy. I don't want to have to go buy all new things just to do it again in another 30 pounds! But when I'm ready I'll donate what I can't alter. Skirts, piece of cake, not so much for pants!
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    So much great help on this question! Thank you guys. I work in healthcare so scrubs be the outfit of choice M-F. Unfortunately it is like wearing pajamas everyday of my life, hence the weight gain. Knowing that I have limited "nice" clothes I think I will buy new pieces here and there. For every new piece I get I think I will donate equal old pieces.

I don't plan on looking back after this journey. I appreciate all of your support and kind words! Thank you!! :D
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Ditch 'em.

As long as their there you can always fall back on them. If they're not, you can't.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them, they are a safety net for you and if you plan on pushing fwd and continue to lose you won't need them anymore and they will be too big and baggy on you! Getting rid of them will feel good b/c you'll be saying BYE BYE to those big clothes that you will never have to put on again!! Congrats on the loss BTW!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Funny! I've kept mine although I would reccomend donation! But it's a superstition thing for me--

Right after I got rid of my skinny clothes I started losing and got skinny. So I'm afraid of the reverse--if i get rid of my fat clothes will I then gain and get fat?

I know, silly!!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I never know what the right answer is! I have had weight changes in the past and got rid of the clothes and regretted it, particularly throwing out my smaller clothes! People will say that you can buy lots of lovely new clothes at goal weight, but selfishly don't give you the money to do so :laugh: . And it would be nice if not having bigger clothes actually stopped you from getting bigger, but obviously that didn't work for me or I wouldn't have got bigger in the first place :laugh: .

This time round, I HAVE been getting rid of clothes, purely on the grounds of not having space. I have looked in sales and charity shops, so haven't spent an awful lot. But it's still quite expensive. You forget that you're going to have to buy new underwear and even shoes! I have kept a couple of dresses that I really liked and I'm going to see if I can have them altered. And I've also kept some things where the size isn't so crucial (nightwear, etc.).

Best of luck!
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I gave mine away. As soon as they didn't fit me I put them in a bag. I ended up with 3 bags of clothes that I gave to a neighbor who is less fortunate. They were able to use all of the clothes that I gave them. I have a few shirts that I do wear around the house to clean in. My daughter continues to tell me that I should get rid of them. I didn't keep any pants at all, I don't ever want to go back to that size again.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I like my jeans tight to remind me to keep going! Haven't dropped enough this round to shed clothes but am buying new ones in smaller sizes. When I get enough in the new size I dump the old ones.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Toss them but keep the biggest pair of pants so on a day where you think "I feel fat today" you can put them on and be reminded of how far you have came!!
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I donate all of them. Last year I went so far as together rid of the 'skinny' clothes I kept...could use them now...but they went to charity also. Less stuff to have around, less 'permission' to gain it back!