weight and dress size - ladies

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and weigh 159 and I'm either a UK 12 or 14. 12 is fine on top, and for dresses, and often skirts, but some 12 trousers can be a bit tight so I have to go for a 14. I need to lose a few more lbs and get rid of the mummy tummy to be a 12 properly, so then I'll probably end up a 10 on top.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    5'-0" and 180lbs. I wear a size 16 in US jeans and 14 or 16 in dresses. Pending brand obviously...
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    5'3 and 156lbs. Just stunned myself with skirts in sizes 4/6 in Canada (8/10UK).

Even though I am wearing a size 4/6US, my BMI says I am not just overweight, I am closer to being obese than a healthy weight :noway:
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple shape - 5'6" at 135-140 lbs. I wear a size 10 or medium.
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, I weigh 149 and I'm a US size 6 and small/medium up top.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", currently 211 (down from 249.6), shape: board leaning towards small pear (i.e. not much change between bust, waist, hips, but hips are a bit bigger than the other 2), in the US, Tops: snug XL tees & knit sweaters, button up dress shirts are 18/20 & 20/22. I have some 22/24 that are still snug in the belly. Slacks & jeans are mostly 18s with a couple 20s sprinkled in there and they're all starting to get loose. No other than single digit clothing size as to what my ultimate goal is.
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Let's see. I'm 137 pounds and 5'6". Recently I've been buying dresses in a size 6 (US sizes), but I'm sure that will vary from brand to brand. I've yet to figure out my new pants size. I haven't bought jeans yet, but at New York & Company this weekend I seemed to be a size 4 in dress pants. The fit was a little weird, though, so I didn't buy any. It's tough figuring out new sizes and fits after losing weight!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Currently 180-185 and a US size 12 @ 5'7". Goal is 165 and I'm guessing a size US 8.
  • rkray3
    rkray3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and currently weigh 153 and am pear shaped. Not 100% sure what my dress size is at the moment, but size 10 pants are a little too big and size 8s are a little too small. At my goal weight (which is 144) I wore a size 6 dress, if it was cut a-line or full skirted.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    5,8 169 size 8 u.s. Goal is 145 or so probably will go no lower than a 6
  • Ladyeliah
    Ladyeliah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", pear shaped, around 150lbs now and wear size 6 pants (sometimes a 4 depending on the store) and I just fit into size 6 dresses this weekend when I went out shopping. Last time I was at this weight (at 147) I was squeezing into a size 9, so I'm all in on suggesting lifting weights.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Visit mybodygallery.com, you can search by height, weight, size, and body shape to see pictures of other women at that size and determine which size you want to aim for. I found it very useful! Good luck :smile:

^^^
    That is an excellent website to see what different people look like at various weights and heights.

UK sizes differ quite a bit from US sizes so it is difficult to compare the two. Also, due to differences in body frame size (bone structure), lean body mass, etc. two people of exactly the same height and weight can look quite different and wear different sizes.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    5'7" 210 lbs pear shape. I started at 240 wearing a US size 20 jeans (Old Navy) and XXL shirts. I'm now in XL shirts (they are loose in the shoulders/boob area but I need room in the hips) and loose US size 18 jeans. My goal is around 150-155 and size 8-10.
  • kcworkingdiver
    Options
    I think you would be more like a 10 in dress size at that weight.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hey friend,

I started at 290, size 26W. Current size 10 in dresses and jeans/pants and mediums in tops. I'm currently 161 at 5'3. I set my original goal for 145, but will see how I feel etc when I get there. I think I am mostly pear shape but my boobs have quit shrinking and now I'm more hourglass or a combo of the two.

My original goal was cutting my weight in half 290/145. I'm thinking I might want to shoot for 135. My dietician feels like that is probably the lowest I should go. Clotheswise, my goal was a size 8 or 10 (which is what I am now). I really dont want to fall below a size 8 because of my age and my body frame which is measured as a large frame.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hello,

This seems interesting and fun! Would be nice to see who is around my height and weight with similar sizes! :flowerforyou:

I'm 5'6 and 130 lbs and have a small frame...
    narrow waist but wide hips, I can trim the fat but not the bone :tongue: ...that's one thing exercise won't slim down

Jeans size: US 6 or 7
    Dress size: around 4 or 5
    Shirts or tops: usually small, sometimes medium
    Skirts: medium

Anyone with a similar size?

ii
  • cat_s85
    cat_s85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 144lb and a UK size 10-12 (I think this is US 6-8, I might be wrong), I know people at this weight in smaller sizes but my hips are the widest part. I have been 2 stone lighter than this and very under-weight due to illness and not been smaller than a size 10. My hip bones are not going to change!

I don't like comparison websites, most girls at my height and weight seem to have six packs, I certainly don't!!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    it depends on the clothings - sizes are never consistent.
    I am 5'2" currently 176 lbs. I wear a size 10 in most jeans. I have wide hips and a smaller waist.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 136 lbs and 5'4" and my pant size is a US 8 and my dress is a US 10. I'm not sure on the weight part (as honestly that doesn't matter so much as the inches falling off), but I'm shooting for a pant size US 4 and a dress size US 6 (which is what I was when I was 20).
  • lilwitch646
    lilwitch646 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm totally stunned by how different all these numbers are for different people! And it reminds me why I hate shopping for clothes. The size I wear depends on the brand I buy.

I'm currently about 127 and wear either a 4 or 6 bottoms, depending on the brand. In Gap or Talbots I wear a 4, but in Ralph Lauren I need a 6. If I go to L.L. Bean I need a 6 or an 8. I can also tell you that when I was around 122 lbs, I fit into a Banana Republic size 27, which is about a 2. However, at 127 lbs, I can also fit into a size 2 dress from Talbots, and size 2 pants from Ann Taylor. When I was less than 120 lbs (I was very sick), none of my size 2 pants fit me, they were too big!

Oh and don't even get me started on tops!! I can't buy a button up top for the life of me. They always gap! I could buy a bigger size, but then the shoulders don't fit, the sleeves cover my hands, and the mid-section is too big! And shirts are rarely of such good quality that tailoring makes sense.

So needless to say, depending on the day, I wear anything between a 2-6 on the bottom, and always a small size top (unless it's a button up, or a shrinkable material).

I highly doubt that was helpful. Sorry...

Congratulations on the weight loss and I hope you get to that goal size! I think it might be better to aim for a measurement rather than a size. Like if you're a 35" waist, aim for 30" or something. Sizes are so variable between brands that it's kind of like trying to hit a moving target.