Detoxinating the liver?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming your doc ran labs to determine you had high cholesterol? Sooooooo.....if detoxing your liver was something that was possible and would work, why didn't your doc tell you to take two water fasts and call him in the morning?

You're clearly not aware how the medical profession keeps us unhealthy in order to profit from us. What benefit is it to your doctor if you're too well to need him. Also, your doctor isn;t getting a kickback or a sweet Hawaiian vacation from a pharma co if he "prescribes" water, now is he? Think about it.

And no one profits from selling people these mystical cleanses?

Lol@you believing doctors would let people die if they can get a vacation out of it.

Let? Cause.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe this thread is real. Lol
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Detox.. totally unnecessary. The liver itself is our bodies detox system.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Detoxing the liver is like washing the soap.

And even if you could detox your liver, starving yourself wouldn't be the way to do it.

In other words, the idea is stupid and whoever told it to you should be beaten.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "detoxinating" is, but it does not sound like fun.

Or like a real word...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This was an April Fools' Day thread, right?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Detoxing the liver is like washing the soap.

And even if you could detox your liver, starving yourself wouldn't be the way to do it.

In other words, the idea is stupid and whoever told it to you should be beaten.

Well eating them would go against the idea of this plan :laugh:
  • Jonesie1984
    Options
    I'm assuming your doc ran labs to determine you had high cholesterol? Sooooooo.....if detoxing your liver was something that was possible and would work, why didn't your doc tell you to take two water fasts and call him in the morning?

You're clearly not aware how the medical profession keeps us unhealthy in order to profit from us. What benefit is it to your doctor if you're too well to need him. Also, your doctor isn;t getting a kickback or a sweet Hawaiian vacation from a pharma co if he "prescribes" water, now is he? Think about it.

lolwut?

I'm a nurse.. I"m pretty sure my job is to help people get better.. people do enough stupid things to keep themselves sick and me employed.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Just kill it with alcohol like a normal person.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wow you must think doctors are pretty horrible people, that they would let people be sick and miserable just for money.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfdRLiN57C3k5hUikgLOfIPOtWS4WNAVL6oyZxfrnEwqFoOq8i

Edited to resize pic

Hey! I saw that! (You also "resized" the amount in the pic.)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you gave a high cholesterol, your liver is very unhealthy. I do have a high cholesterol. My friend told me that if I water fast for 2 days every week, it'll help with the cholesterol, burn more fat, and make me lose weight. Has anyone tried this before? Can anyone tell me if this works?
    Thanks!

If you are worried you have an unhealthy liver, ask your doctor. A simple blood test can measure liver enzymes. And if your liver is unhealthy, ask your doctor what to do about it.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My mother has high cholesterol and her doctor advised her to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, increase fibre and drink plenty of water. Hope this helps. I think you should consult your doctor about the liver thing if thats a concern for you, they can actually test for liver functions etc., the year I got married I was in for constant liver monitoring, cause I had high lipid or whatever levels in my liver but my cholesterol was normal, so . . . but consult your doctor, they would be the experts in the subject.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Generally when people say "detox the liver" they actually mean give the liver a break by not giving it so much crap to process.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

And no one profits from selling people these mystical cleanses?

Lol@you believing doctors would let people die if they can get a vacation out of it.

Let? Cause.

skwLPSO.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Generally when people say "detox the liver" they actually mean give the liver a break by not giving it so much crap to process.

Generally when people say "detox the liver" they have no idea what they're talking about.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Ok....but any kind of "cleanse" or "detox" that actually did what it purported to do (unlikely) would actually do the exact opposite of this. Please, seriously, correct my biology/anatomy if I'm wrong here, but it was my understanding that all "toxins" must go through the liver in order to be eliminated, regardless of from where they were liberated? So, like, if you managed to somehow clear a bunch of "toxins" out of your fat cells or wherever they were supposedly stored, they'd still have to go through the liver before they could be eliminated from your body, thereby actually *overloading* your liver rather than giving it any kind of break?

*Edited to add a few key words to stress that I don't believe that a cleanse or detox would actually work, lol.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Ok....but any kind of "cleanse" or "detox" that actually did what it purported to do (unlikely) would actually do the exact opposite of this. Please, seriously, correct my biology/anatomy if I'm wrong here, but it was my understanding that all "toxins" must go through the liver in order to be eliminated, regardless of from where they were liberated? So, like, if you managed to clear a bunch of "toxins" out of your fat cells or wherever they were stored, they'd still have to go through the liver before they could be eliminated from your body, thereby actually *overloading* your liver rather than giving it any kind of break?

:flowerforyou: In a round about way, yes!
  • Jonesie1984
    Options

I think I"m going to detox my lungs.. they seem to be tired of breathing for me.. they have been doing it for 28 years now.. oh wait, it's their JOB!!! Livers don't need days off anymore than a heart or a lung. This is totally ridiculous.

If you want to ease the workload of the liver eat less crap. You don't need to "fast"
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    After an afternoon on the forums, I think I need to detox my brain.