STOP IT WITH THE FOOD PUSHING!!!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I once had a roommate who whenever she saw me trying to lose weight would bring me pastries from Starbucks, which she knew were my crutch, and if I tried to decline it, she would freak out and say I was a bad friend. And she would watch me eat it and make sure I knew how much it cost her, and it really wasn't a gift, at all. It was a "Don't you dare get thinner/hotter than me." She had issues, and I'm so glad I haven't seen her in three years.

This right here. THIS. I have been TOLD by some friends who were also dieting, "Take your time with it." "But, you're busting YOUR *kitten*." "Ha, but i dont want you looking better than ME."
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    had a girlfriend be like that all the time. she'd said "here have some cake!" and id say "no thank you" and shed say, " oh but it is sooooo good cmon just try it " and again id say "no, thank you" and she shoves a piece in my face and says "come on, one little bite won't hurt! " and i smacked it away and it hit her in the face covering her in icing! hahahaha! she said "WHAT THE H*LL WAS THAT FOR!" ......and i said, "well you didn't understood the first 2 times i said no so i thought i would be a little more clear!" lol i can be a b*tch to those ppl really easy. they don't understand ! once i start eating i cant stop! SO YES ONE LITTLE PIECE DOES HURT! .....im sure there are alot more tactful ways to say no and be clear. but i thought that situation was hilarious. she deserved it i believe for trying to force me to eat cake when i said NO ..

31454852.jpg
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Annoying_no_gif.gif
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I like it when people offer me food. I think it's a generous gesture although I usually say "no thank you."

Yeah - unless your friend gives you crap about not taking the food, what's the problem?
  • cesereda
    Options
    I just need to vent for a second here. I have a friend at work (skinny, of course) who has seriously horrible eating habits and is one of the most weight-obsessed people I've ever met. I love her but she drives me NUTS with the food pushing! We spent about 15 minutes during lunch talking about food and what I am trying to do to lose weight. An hour later, and she's IM'ing me to see if I want a pecan roll. Seriously?

I and others have given her grief about the food pushing over the years, and she has acknowledged that she does this. Yet it simply will not stop. It is in her nature to be generous and share with her friends, but sometimes I wonder if it's a secret/subconscious plot to keep me fat. Thankfully my willpower has shifted a great deal over the years in terms of not eating junk food, but just dealing with the nuisance of a food pusher is enough to make me want to go down to the vending machine and go apesh*t on a pack of Reese's Cups!!

Anyone else have one of these people in their life? How do you deal with it?

Food pusher or not you are doing really great. Your post says that you have lost 52 pounds in just 3 month time. Tell me your secret. I have been eating healthy and staying under my calorie limit and I have been exercising almost daily. I would love to be able to lose the amount of weight you have lost. My total goal is to lose 60 pounds, to lose most of that in 3 months would be amazing. I have been on here for almost one month and have lost 11 Lbs. Please reply I am really curious.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I would have ate the **** out of that pecan roll.
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would have ate the **** out of that pecan roll.

^^ This. :)
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    There is always going to be food around and people telling you to try this and that, it is something we all deal with , just say no and walk away and if that do's not work just tell them to stop doing it, that you are not hungry and if you do change your mind you know where to find them.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Food pusher or not you are doing really great. Your post says that you have lost 52 pounds in just 3 month time. Tell me your secret. I have been eating healthy and staying under my calorie limit and I have been exercising almost daily. I would love to be able to lose the amount of weight you have lost. My total goal is to lose 60 pounds, to lose most of that in 3 months would be amazing. I have been on here for almost one month and have lost 11 Lbs. Please reply I am really curious.

OP has their counter set for "Pounds to go" instead of "Pounds lost". They've lost 13 pounds, which still totally rocks. :drinker:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I say "No, thank you."

If that doesn't work, I just say "No."

If that doesn't work, I just look at them like they're an idiot and say, "Really?"

That usually ends it.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just need to vent for a second here. I have a friend at work (skinny, of course) who has seriously horrible eating habits and is one of the most weight-obsessed people I've ever met. I love her but she drives me NUTS with the food pushing! We spent about 15 minutes during lunch talking about food and what I am trying to do to lose weight. An hour later, and she's IM'ing me to see if I want a pecan roll. Seriously?

I and others have given her grief about the food pushing over the years, and she has acknowledged that she does this. Yet it simply will not stop. It is in her nature to be generous and share with her friends, but sometimes I wonder if it's a secret/subconscious plot to keep me fat. Thankfully my willpower has shifted a great deal over the years in terms of not eating junk food, but just dealing with the nuisance of a food pusher is enough to make me want to go down to the vending machine and go apesh*t on a pack of Reese's Cups!!

Anyone else have one of these people in their life? How do you deal with it?
    A pecan roll doesn't make you fat. It's over consumption that does. Lots of people who are "skinny" eat whatever they want in most cases because they have an idea of how to balance their calories.
    Yeah, eating more whole foods and reducing high calorie foods help, but you can get overweight eating whole foods too.
    Easiest way IMO to stop it is, accept, take a bite, spit it out or count it in your daily intake, then let the rest sit out in the open. A person who sees someone "wasting" food eventually stops giving it to them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I actually meant to say "pecan LOG roll". Which is probably 1,000 time worse than a pecan roll. It's a giant log of nougat wrapped in caramel and pecans. So, sugar wrapped in nuts to make you feel like you're getting protein. Very often found at truck stops. As a kid and maybe even a few years ago I might have eaten one whole, in one sitting. Now the thought of it makes me nauseous.

351_389.jpg
  • DreamofGenie2012
    DreamofGenie2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This coworker of yours may have a serious passive-aggression toward you. Sometimes women who are thin and obsessed with their eating feel their only great quality is their ability to control their weight.

You are probably more intelligent, beautiful and overall more wonderful than her; and she may feel she has no 'one up' on you if you met your weight goal.

If she is genuine, you can test this theory by being VERY straight-forward with her. When she offers you something unhealthy to eat, say "I'm trying to watch my health and I prefer to eat something with less calories and fat and more nutritious and filling, like (insert your snack of choice here)," and "Please don't offer me food unless it's something like those foods I named."

More than likely, she will never offer you your healthy alternatives, and if she is genuine as she claims and just love sharing and feeding people, you may get a few free meals. lol
  • DreamofGenie2012
    DreamofGenie2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    had a girlfriend be like that all the time. she'd said "here have some cake!" and id say "no thank you" and shed say, " oh but it is sooooo good cmon just try it " and again id say "no, thank you" and she shoves a piece in my face and says "come on, one little bite won't hurt! " and i smacked it away and it hit her in the face covering her in icing! hahahaha! she said "WHAT THE H*LL WAS THAT FOR!" ......and i said, "well you didn't understood the first 2 times i said no so i thought i would be a little more clear!" lol i can be a b*tch to those ppl really easy. they don't understand ! once i start eating i cant stop! SO YES ONE LITTLE PIECE DOES HURT! .....im sure there are alot more tactful ways to say no and be clear. but i thought that situation was hilarious. she deserved it i believe for trying to force me to eat cake when i said NO ..

31454852.jpg

Ever notice how these types of "generous people" never push anything on you that is actually useful? I've dealt with these types FORVER! They are always like "Here try these drugs, booze, unhealthy food, ECT... It's great!"

But they never push money, or anything useful on you. I had a move in high school, where whenever someone would invite me to do some type of drug, I would ask them to take the money they would spend on my portion and buy stuff from my cheerleading fundraiser, Surprise, surprise-the answer was always some form of "Are you crazy?" lol

It was corny, but today I'm drug free and many of them are not.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Oooh doesn't happen to me often but I can usually say no. Even before trying to lose weight, I'm not big on sweets so I usually just didn't want any.

I DID have a friend with food issues who was always trying to lose weight and was always pushing her negative issues on others... so I get it in that way.
  • Chaparrita26
    Chaparrita26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do people not understand what 'need to vent' means? It means at this stage of the game this is what OP is dealing with and she'd like to hear who else has this same problem and how did they dealt with it. "Just say no" is of course everyones goal so is not a helpful comment - if we could all just magically do that this website wouldn't even exist now would it?

(Sorry, I'm not usually so *****y but the stating the common sense answer as 'help' is getting to me today - 99% of people if asked if they should sit down and eat 2 bags of Doritos in one sitting or not would answer 'not' - that doesn't mean they could actually resist doing it. If they ask for help someone telling them they just shouldn't do that is not helpful. If you want to help people you have to listen to the real question and give them tangible tips for what they are struggling with right that moment, not broad stroke 'obvious' answers. If someone who is working out posts a complaint that when they run their thighs rub together and get chaffed and they ask for suggestions to prevent the chaffing everyones answer isn't "lose weight and they won't rub together anymore" is it? Why does "I have *insert struggle with food here* get answered with "stop having that issue with food"

No really... not this *****y usually. hehe

THANK YOU!!!! I'm getting frustrated with all the unhelpfulness!!!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Yes, my other half is Italian.
    Whenever we visit his family - his mother laps up 3 portions per plate.
    I can never manage to finish it but I still scoff as much as possible.

Not calorie friendly, not diet friendly and in the end they are offended anyway.
  • dixieracer27
    dixieracer27 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's why I haven't told anybody in my life that I'm doing this other than my Husband. It seems when others know they try to make it harder on me.