Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

that.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Right now, i carry a pretty decent sized knife. By my birthday, i'll be carrying a good sized pistol. CCL :)
    I also have three (harmless) dogs: two german shepherd/husky mixes and one staffordshire/blackmouth cur mix. 180+ combined pounds of pooch. After i had to outrun a guy at.a local track (FYI- husbands are LOUSY defence weapons in the bleachers over 100y away.)i dont mess around anymore.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I leave my vag1na at home. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOSrJZ99vBw

Edited to add: That sucks. Sorry that happened to you. Sounds like others have offered some good advice.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    women should carry guns period. preferably in .45 or 9mm, and preferably glock. There would be a lot less rapes and harassing if every man knew every woman was packing. Your pepper sprays and dogs are worthless and false sense of security. A reasonably strong man can headlock a dog with one arm, and snap its neck. And pepper spray runs the risk of blowing back into your own eyes, or missing altogether. Also most people stop with a gun to their face. Pepper spray wont stop anyone determined.

I agree glocks are for women
  • chickenchaser78
    chickenchaser78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog. I get it you don't have one. I know its out there but if you have a friend with one maybe you could borrow it for walks/runs?

So if that isn't an option I do a few things because I live in the country too and I realize that stuff happens out here too. I run with a knife. I also either don't listen to music or if I do I keep one ear bud out for safety. I keep my phone on me.

Are there other routes you can pick to run? That guy was a total jerk to pull over and watch you pass. Super creepy.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    I used to go the same route at the same time and for some reason I started getting terrified so I trusted my instincts and started switching up my routes and the time that I would go. It's part of the reason that I bought an elliptical, too. I'm sorry that happened to you, what a creep!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What a creeper. I am in DC and there are always a ton of people around. I will not run at night. I prefer running on a track so I don't have to worry about cars and I can lose myself in my music. Otherwise, I run with my husband.

Some people have mace, but I never understood that.

My opinion - pepper spray or mace is less than ideal for running. It requires you to hit a very specific place (the eyes obviously) in order to be effective and there are a few things that can interfere, wind/rain, etc. It is problematic in many situations as you may not have the chance to be face to face or to have the distance to do it without cross contamination. It also isn't effective on everyone. Plus the whole risk of cross contamination. It happens fairly often when using it. It is going to be a big problem if you incapacitate yourself in the process.

It is not useless, but like any weapon you may use, you need to train and understand how it works. And have a back up plan if it doesn't. A false sense of security is dangerous.
    For me, I would choose other options.

Exactly. You are more likely to do harm to yourself with pepper spray than you would to anyone else. I never understood why people brought this along.

I am sensing a law enforcement background with the shepard and knowledge of OC spray. Me too.

:happy: :drinker:

The shepherd in my avatar actually failed K9 training but he is still a hell of a deterrent.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I have never been the type of person to be overly cautious while running alone. During the summer months I like to outside and enjoy a nice night run, usually with my head phones on just doing my thing. I do, after all, live in a small town, and bad things don’t happen in small towns….Right? (please note the sarcasm) I have been honked at, whistled at and even yelled at by passing motorists before and it doesn't normaly bother me, I usually just ignore them.

Earlier today however, as I was running, a gentlemen actually pulled his car over in front of me to tell me that I was “looking good, girl” and grinned and watched me pass….This totally freaked me out!! Who does that?? Now, I am starting to rethink this whole “not being overly cautious” thing.

What do you ladies do to protect yourself while running alone? I wish I had a dog, but I don't, and in this particular case I was running on my lunch break. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Right now => GPS (plus heart rate monitor attached to my upper arm), a tight and small hydration/snack pack (on my back ~ fits perfectly between my shoulder blades), reflectors, my camping knife and my taser platinum attached to my thigh.

Edited to add: I'm a before sunrise and a late night outdoor runner so I take what I feel should suffice.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    With our crazy schedule and summer heat, my wife was getting up to run at 4am. I wouldn't let her run anywhere beyond around our block and I got up with her to watch. Not parinoid, but cautious.

We just got her a treadmill and now she can run inside at odd times or when it is hot. She's happy and I am happy.
  • dawnhart77
    dawnhart77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I run at night during the summer, so I know what you mean about that false sense of security. I have started to run in more populated areas and have better light. I also don't give people like that the time of day. I glare at them and give them the 'leave me the f*** alone' look.

I live near open space (it's a Colorado thing) and I have to deal with coyotes more than creeps. But I carry a rock with me. Sounds strange, but it an animals comes at me, I want to be prepared.

Creepy McCreeper! Yikes!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    women should carry guns period. preferably in .45 or 9mm, and preferably glock. There would be a lot less rapes and harassing if every man knew every woman was packing. Your pepper sprays and dogs are worthless and false sense of security. A reasonably strong man can headlock a dog with one arm, and snap its neck. And pepper spray runs the risk of blowing back into your own eyes, or missing altogether. Also most people stop with a gun to their face. Pepper spray wont stop anyone determined.

That's not legal in a lot of places. And it's not like a glock shoots better. Sure it's great if you fall into water and need to shoot someone or want to freeze it and then shoot it. Otherwise, it's the same as any other brand.
  • jenydc
    jenydc Posts: 12
    Options

Haha! I need some of those. I carry pepper spray.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray, even when I'm running with my husband. We don't run side by side and he worries when we get too far apart. I didn't start carrying it till he brougth it home. I've never had a issue(small town too) but I do feel better having it with me, especially when it's the kids and I out together. I also run with my dog, but if you don't have one or don't want one, then pepper spray is a good option.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Of course no one ever stops to talk to me when I run.

hitchhiker-with-axe.jpg
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I run 2 days a week with a group, and the other 2 days I either run on the treadmill or during the day in a well-populated area, like a nearby park where there are always lots of people. (I'm sure I could still get into trouble even in a busy area, but hopefully someone would hear me) I don't run at night or at dawn when I'm alone. My dog doesn't do well with other dogs so I can't take her with me unfortunately. I run mostly in parks where there are no vehicles, but if someone in a car does try to approach me when I'm alone I run the opposite direction and off of the street so they cannot follow. (that only happened once and I think it was just someone needing directions, as I saw the person in the car talking out of their window to a couple that had stopped and then they drove off, but I figured better safe than sorry)

If you run with music, lower the volume and only wear one headphone.
    I highly recommend running with other people, not just for safety but companionship and challenge.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I understand this is likely more of a cultural thing. Many people in the US have different views on guns and I totally respect that.

i, however, do not wish to carry a gun all the time. I do not want to run with a gun. I am extremely familiar and comfortable with guns, but it is not something I want to carry all the time.

My dogs do not give me a false sense of security. I referred to them as a deterrent, I do not rely on them for protection. (edited - it was another topic I referred to them as a deterrent, but to clarify here - that is what I consider them)

That is just my opinion.

ETA - and its not legal here anyway.

Also - to go back to a point I made earlier, any weapon you carry, you need to train on it, be comfortable with it and most of all prepared to use it.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I was walking home from work and a guy crossed the highway to ask me if I wanted a ride home. I told him No, I was good. He then insisted I let him give me a ride. I just kept walking, a little faster. The next morning that guy was on the news for trying to kidnap some girl off the streets......So, lady's be very careful out there...some people are just crazy!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options

my 9mm ruger, while being perfect to keep in my car, is not a great concealed carry. Most .45 can be kinda chunky too. Ladies-before you purchase a gun, ask if you can try it in a holster, purse, or jacket. most states are not open carry-and if you end up eith a 4" barrel that you cant keep hidden-it will be illegal to bring on a run.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options

FCCK YA! and lift heavy