Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of running at night during the winter months (since it gets dark so early!), I carry my pepper spray but I'm thinking a tazer would be a good upgrade. I also wear a reflective running vest headlamp etc I do NOT want to get ran over.

I think a HUGE and mostly overlooked aspect to being safe is keep your music out of your ears!!! If you have your headphones on you wont hear that drunk truck flying up behind you or that strange person who is quickly gaining on you from behind. I typically run w/ my iphone in my hand playing music on the speakers or if I need to use heaphones (like if its raining out) I always keep one out of my ear so I am aware of my surroundings.

Also, avoid running in areas where there aren't other pedestrians out and about. There are some local trails I love running but I only go when I know a million dog walkers will be out or I take a friend, better safe than sorry.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I don't take any special precautions.

I live in a neighborhood with one of the highest crime rates in the country, and I regularly run after dark. Not once have I ever felt threatened, and it's all in the way I carry myself.

They actually teach you this in self defense class; women are far less likely to be attacked if they have an air of confidence about them. Head up, shoulders back, eyes forward. Attackers don't go after women who appear to be confident, alert, and aware, because they know that these women are generally hard to target.

I've been whistled at, and at the very worst, had a couple obscenities shouted at me. After promptly turning around, approaching the man who shouted the obscenities, and telling him to kindly eff off, he apologized and never once said another word to me, even though he sees me at least once a week.

If you "truly" feel that threatened, either get a dog, or carry a gun. You're more likely to injure yourself with a taser or pepper spray, and running with a knife is just beyond stupid.

But honestly, a guy approaching you while you run is honestly nothing to get worked up over. My advice? If he, or anyone else does it again, tell him to eff' off, and go about your business.

That's great until one day some guy doesn't give a **** about how you hold yourself and shoots you or stabs you or worse

Don't fool yourself into a false sense of security

Exactly what I was just about to say. If someone wants to rape you, I don't think they give a **** about how you carry yourself.
    I should probably add that I'm about a head taller than every man in my neighborhood.

Also, newsflash, the whole word isn't out to rape women.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

Cool! I need to get one of these...but for now I carry one of these, tied around my neck so I can grab it quick:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LNLNS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I live in a neighborhood with one of the highest crime rates in the country, and I regularly run after dark. Not once have I ever felt threatened, and it's all in the way I carry myself.

They actually teach you this in self defense class; women are far less likely to be attacked if they have an air of confidence about them. Head up, shoulders back, eyes forward. Attackers don't go after women who appear to be confident, alert, and aware, because they know that these women are generally hard to target.

I've been whistled at, and at the very worst, had a couple obscenities shouted at me. After promptly turning around, approaching the man who shouted the obscenities, and telling him to kindly eff off, he apologized and never once said another word to me, even though he sees me at least once a week.

If you "truly" feel that threatened, either get a dog, or carry a gun. You're more likely to injure yourself with a taser or pepper spray, and running with a knife is just beyond stupid.

But honestly, a guy approaching you while you run is honestly nothing to get worked up over. My advice? If he, or anyone else does it again, tell him to eff' off, and go about your business.

That's great until one day some guy doesn't give a **** about how you hold yourself and shoots you or stabs you or worse

Exactly what I was just about to say. If someone wants to rape you, I don't think they give a **** about how you carry yourself.
    I should probably add that I'm about a head taller than every man in my neighborhood.

Every time I drive my car I don't crash. I still wear my seat belt and pay attention to other drivers

It doesn't take the whole world out to get you, just 1 person
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I carry a shank in one hand and my phone/music in the other...keeps me balanced ;)
  • MrsHRogers
    Options
    I have always lived in the city and have always felt the need to take precautions due to my own life experiences and others. There is serial rapist right now in our area the police are trying catch. My steps are similar to what others have posted:

Usually carry a switchblade, I agree that pepper spray just isn't the best defense when running. There are too many variables that make it less then ideal. A knife is honestly also not ideal. It requires close contact with your assailant and women don't have the upper body strength of men typically. So, although I am saying I do this, I would not recommended that anyone does unless you feel you want to take the risk.

I don't stop to chat with strangers, men and women alike. I don't care if it seems paranoid or rude.

If I listen to music I only do it with one ear bud in and try to keep the volume on the low side.

If I can I run with a friend.

If I am running alone I usually text my husband or sister that I am running alone and what area. Even if you can't run with a friend it doesn't mean you can't maintain the "buddy system".

I run in populated areas.

I typically switch up the routes and times that I go.

Always display confidence with your head up, eyes forward, be alert. Attacker's don't usually want to mess with someone who seems like they will put up a fight.

Listen to your gut. Women tend to always push that aside for fear of being rude. If your gut says you don't like that guy following you or talking to you, do something about it. Find some people to be around, go a different route.

Sorry you had to go through that. Its annoying if nothing else. Take precautions, but keep on running!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What a creeper. I am in DC and there are always a ton of people around. I will not run at night. I prefer running on a track so I don't have to worry about cars and I can lose myself in my music. Otherwise, I run with my husband.

Some people have mace, but I never understood that.

My opinion - pepper spray or mace is less than ideal for running. It requires you to hit a very specific place (the eyes obviously) in order to be effective and there are a few things that can interfere, wind/rain, etc. It is problematic in many situations as you may not have the chance to be face to face or to have the distance to do it without cross contamination. It also isn't effective on everyone. Plus the whole risk of cross contamination. It happens fairly often when using it. It is going to be a big problem if you incapacitate yourself in the process.

It is not useless, but like any weapon you may use, you need to train and understand how it works. And have a back up plan if it doesn't. A false sense of security is dangerous.
    For me, I would choose other options.

Exactly. You are more likely to do harm to yourself with pepper spray than you would to anyone else. I never understood why people brought this along.

I am sensing a law enforcement background with the shepard and knowledge of OC spray. Me too.

Have either one of you had experience with mace? It actually covers quite a broad range. If you spray it in a corner of a room, you can guarantee that room will be cleared within the minute. You could easily spray it in their general direction (though it will most likely hit their face, anyway) and it will deter them.

Mace, no, OC (pepper) spray, yes. I've sprayed it, I've been sprayed, I've experienced cross contamination. In real circumstances. I've been in rooms where it was sprayed.

Even under the best circumstances its not always a deterrent. Even less so under less than ideal circumstances like spraying in their general direction.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Every time I drive my car I don't crash. I still wear my seat belt and pay attention to other drivers

It doesn't take the whole world out to get you, just 1 person
    Dude, I get it.

You do you, and I'll do me.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    women should carry guns period. preferably in .45 or 9mm, and preferably glock. There would be a lot less rapes and harassing if every man knew every woman was packing. Your pepper sprays and dogs are worthless and false sense of security. A reasonably strong man can headlock a dog with one arm, and snap its neck. And pepper spray runs the risk of blowing back into your own eyes, or missing altogether. Also most people stop with a gun to their face. Pepper spray wont stop anyone determined.

Not a bad idea, but caliber depends on the woman. .45 or 9mm can be too powerful for some women to handle under stress, including women like me who have handled a broad range of firearms. And the brand has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than preference. I actually really rather dislike Glock and would much, much rather carry a Colt or a CZ.
  • jenydc
    jenydc Posts: 12
    Options
    Conceal carry is illegal here. I really wish it was not. I always picture myself in the situation of someone pulling up to me, me screaming my head off for them to get away, and all they wanted was directions haha.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

Awesome! May have to get a pair or two of these for hubby and I!
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I just had a similar in counter not to long ago. I always carry pepper spray with me but on this day I thought no one would bother me.. Yeah, I was wrong. People are ridiculous. It's like if I see you trying to talk to me and I'm ignoring you to the max why don't you leave me alone? Always carry something on you because you never know what can happen.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Yet still 1/5 US women is raped in her lifetime....interesting...
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed by all of the "carry a gun" comments". It's not legal in DC, so my guns can't leave my house, but how does this work? Am I supposed to shove a gun in my compression shorts? Maybe find a ipod/gun arm band? I have a hard enough time finding a place for my keys.

im getting a shoulder holster :) its unusual where im from to NOT have a gun somewhere-be it on your person or in your vehicle!
    Some revolvers are TINY (most shoot .22lr) and will fit comfortably and hidden in a pocket or mp3 player armband :)

But really-check laws in your area. here-just because its not strange to see people walking down the road with a 10/22 or a .410 does not make it legal.

as for the "attitude" comments- im a b**ch. period. i give off an air of b**chfit. Im unfriendly and borderline arrogant. People would be stupid to think i want to chat. HOWEVER. i am 4'8" and 122lbs. the reality is-a 6', 300lb man or woman attacks me-im screwed. attitude or not. even the best self defence classes only work in a reasonably even match. so ladies-do a test: get your husband or a family member to grab you like someone would iy wanted to hurt, rape, or rob you. if you cant access his groin, knees or eyes pretty quickly-youre going to wish you had a weapon. and for those of you with weapons-can you get to yours if you have already been grabbee, or did you just arm your attacker?
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    Carry a gun!
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it is legal in NZ to carry any sort of conceled weapon.
    I just drag my partner along or run during the day.
    On the occasional time I run at night I absolutley avoide ally ways.
    When I do run off road during the day I just tell somebody I'm going to run the red hut loop or whatever and I'll be back in a hour If i don't die.
    I love talking to everyone on my run even if only saying hello, so never listen to music.
    People have pulled over and said I'm looking good before and I take it as a compliment, he probably see your running regulary and was impressed!. Also randoms have turned around to me and said gosh you have lost weight and I think "who are you how do I know you, and YAY somebody noticed" Some people are just nice.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think what worries me is several people posted they live in small towns so they don't worry about it. There was a lady in a rural Montana town out for a morning run and she was abducted and murdered by two drifters. So yes, small town or large city, safety should always be your main concern.

As for me, I try to run with someone. If I'm running alone, I run during the daylight hours and stick to busy trails (dog walkers, runners, bicyclist) and/or busy residential area. If I can't do that... then I'm on the treadmill.

I rarely run with my music, but if I do then I keep the music low and keep one ear bud out. I try to be aware of my surroundings and if I get a hinky feeling about a slow moving car or someone loitering, I alter my course to go in a different direction.

I don't carry a weapon because chances are I would be more likely to hurt myself than anyone else. If was to carry a weapon, a small sharp object would suffice (and follow the defense training of going for the face/eyes).

**edited because I can't type...
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    What a jerk. I would report him to police for sure...and ask that they increase patrols.

You have received alot of great advice...and you are right to be aware...not scared...just aware.

No matter what self protection weapon you choose - be trained and willing to use it...mentally you must be prepared...just in case.

To those who have said I just run in populated areas, someone will help me if I scream...etc... please be aware that there
    are many women who have been assaulted in public places... you don't want to be a survivor of an attack who regrets not being
    more prepared for the unexpected.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I have a big dog with me (who I am walking; I don't run), but even that's not going to stop somebody determined to "get" you. For some morbid reason, I like to read true crime reports, and a dog coming home alone is not unusual in these types of crimes. Maybe find a track at the school or get a running buddy? Good luck; stay safe!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Mace is a wonderful deterant >:)