Friend requests. Message vs no message

Options

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I decline if you don't offer up a little about why you want to friend me (similar goals, starting points, age, height...)
    I always offer up something about why I wanted to request to be friends, usually it's because of the points listed above but sometimes it's because they are inspiring or I want to inspire them.

I feel it's lazy and a little rude to not say at least a little something... I don't need your whole life story but DANG don't just send me a blank request!!
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I always send a message with a friend request and I decline if there is no message when I receive a request. I just feel it's common courtesy to send a message.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone cause I hate thinking I may not accept someone that has 'something', ya know?
    I put a message in 50/50. Sometimes I dont know what to say, other times there was a thread or something they said.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I usually accept everyone but definitely prefer a message. . I don't send many fr but I always include a message. Seems like the polite thing to do so they have some sort of idea for why you want to be friends.
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't care really, I mean come on why are we so choosy, the more support the better. If they are annoying I will gracefully remove them. I am not getting married just friending someone on a fitness site.

Exactly......
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    When I first started venturing out into the forums, I had FRed a few people. After a few days, they were all butt hurt and offended by things I said. So, they defriended me and ran away with some not so kind words about my offensiveness or crudeness. So, after that I decided I wasn't ever going to send a FR again. I've done pretty good by that. I want to make sure people know what they are getting into so they don't go for something that they didn't want in the first place. SO, no. I don't send messages with my FRs because I don't send FRs.

I also do not accept FRs that don't have a message. I'm pretty clear about what I want to hear in my profile. The reason I am so strict on this is I had some psycho woman FR me and she was scary creepy. Enough to force me to change my username and stay away from the forums for a couple of weeks. She looked me up, and knew my kids extracurricular activities and my address, and all kinds of information she should have just asked me about. She did some scary stuff. Scary. So, no message = no acceptance.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I usually accept female request with or without a message.
    Guys I need a message... and one that's not too creepy. ;)

okay I guess I will never be adding you then
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I agree with terrie. It always strikes me as a bit egotistical when someone says out on their profile page that they won't accept without a message. It is broadcasting how "popular" you are. Just don't accept if there is no message. That's fine. I think it is a little weird to friend somebody you don't know anything about. But, don't tell us about it.
    I always send a message. Seems only normal, natural and cordial. When I see somebody I want to friend, there is a reason.

I am by no means popular on here. Like at all. I have a profile that is open to members --- I would make a terrible friend for some -- if they don't at least say "hi" to me, I will know they didn't read my profile and they are running the risk of being offended by my humor.

I didnt' read your profile until I got your FR. Glad that came.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I prefer well educated, serious fitness types, with a sense of humor, who don't take themselves too seriously, and with some level of self awareness. The FR message, experience in the forums or what have you, that's how I judge.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Do you decline friend requests if there is no message?
    Do you send friend requests without adding a message?

I tend to decline requests without messages, and always send a message when I want to add somebody. Now I'm wondering what other people do.

I do the same
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I don't send friend requests often but when I do I always include a message.
    I accept friend requests without messages all the time. I think the majority of the requests I get are because they see I have lost 100lbs and they are just wanting to be able to reference my story to remind themselves it can be done. I see no harm in that. I might have a really big list but if someone messages me I can still always find the time to message back so hopefully I am not disappointing them. :flowerforyou:
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It's funny how there is an "etiquette" when requesting or adding friends. That's stupid to me. If some one sends me a request I'll accept it. If they're flaky or turn out to be a douche I "unfriend" them. It makes things pretty easy. LoL
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Messages are helpful.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I like messages with my FR's, especially if your profile is private.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When I first started here I only used the site to log food/exercise and wasnt aware of the community side of the site... now I only have a few friends, nearly all of which I sent out fr with messages. I think I would prefer people to send messages in a fr, but hell, I'm not fussy... I'd accept anyone to be my friend - does that sound too desperate :laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Never gave this much thought. I accept requests from people with photos, without photos, without comments, without an open profile... obviously if they took the time to add me, they find me interesting. Never really thought about it and never had a problem with creepy people. I have yet to delete anyone from MFP. Ironically, I'm a fairly private person who is picky about adding people to FB...

Sometimes if someone peaks my interest and I send a friend request, I will tell them why or if their profile specifies to do so.
  • kdcj17
    kdcj17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've only sent to those I've known on FB for years and only got a couple from here on MFP.
    Doesn't matter either way.
    However, I'm less likely to accept males that seem creepish, I'm married happily and not into the flirt thing..
    Girls though I will likely accept. A note would be nice, but not necessary.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I accept EVERYONE. Don't care message, no meessage, usually for every 10 you will end up with one active good helpful friend
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Message means they actually took the time to think out the friend request, no message I feel like they want that friends list just to get bigger...
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's funny how there is an "etiquette" when requesting or adding friends. That's stupid to me. If some one sends me a request I'll accept it. If they're flaky or turn out to be a douche I "unfriend" them. It makes things pretty easy. LoL

This! :D