The Smarter Science of Slim

Replies

• Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Thank you. This is very interesting. My husband and I have been discussing eating much cleaner and more natural recently and I am looking for more information. I am a vegetarian that doesn't eat eggs but does eat dairy. The thought of no refined carbs, grains or starch is a little daunting, but I do believe it's better for your body. Never say never (I adore my raw oats muesli mix that I make for breakfast and I live for my morning cup of tea). I may not "give up" everything, but I think if you really want that flat tummy and to be really healthy, you need to ensure that 90% of your diet is as clean and natural as possible.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    "Eat less, exercise more and you will lose weight. Hmm.. How's that working for us? Record levels of obesity around the globe, surely this is NOT working"

I gave up after reading the logical fallacy of this premise which sets up the argument. Those who are obese are simply not eating less and exercising more, and they are not, as the statement implies, a result of people failing in an endeavour to exercise more and eat less. This statement is trying to portray diet and exercise as pointless exercises by means of a totally absurd argument. How can you take the intelligence of such an article seriously?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I read it and listened to the podcasts.

It's pretty solid advice IMO but pushes the 'you don't need to count calories' angle a bit heavy.

When cornered he admits that calories ultimately rule but eating the right foods can help the process and address metabolic issues.

His explanation of why insulin response is key (like Taubes) neglects to mention all the other ways the body can deposit fat in the absence of significant insulin. Go check out G3P for starters ...

I like him (and Carrie) but ultimately it comes down to focussing on whole unprocessed foods and moving about a bit more ... Who knew? ;)

QFT!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I'd just like to add that perceptions can change over time.

When I went all 'Low carb/GI is the way forward!' I was coming from being a carb-addicted, food craving nut every few hours.

Then I did it for a bit (and got immersed in the low carb thing) and was amazed I could not be hungry for hours at a time. This went on for some months. Hey, carbs must be bad, just scarf down everything else ... No insulin, no fat right?

BUT then my body adjusted and not only did I want the stuff I'd been restricting also I stopped making fat loss progress, while still being pretty strict on the calories.

I guess what I am trying to say is that listening to the body is key. Low carb I still think is a great tool for getting over metabolic hurdles but there is no miracle there. It's just a means to the end of creating an energy deficit.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    I'd just like to add that perceptions can change over time.

When I went all 'Low carb/GI is the way forward!' I was coming from being a carb-addicted, food craving nut every few hours.

Then I did it for a bit (and got immersed in the low carb thing) and was amazed I could not be hungry for hours at a time. This went on for some months. Hey, carbs must be bad, just scarf down everything else ... No insulin, no fat right?

BUT then my body adjusted and not only did I want the stuff I'd been restricting also I stopped making fat loss progress, while still being pretty strict on the calories.

I guess what I am trying to say is that listening to the body is key. Low carb I still think is a great tool for getting over metabolic hurdles but there is no miracle there. It's just a means to the end of creating an energy deficit.

Listen. Now you're just being silly.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that different approaches can work better at different stages in your life depending on your specific metabolic issues at that time but these may change so your approach can change as well? Are you also saying that underpinning all of this is the need for a negative energy balance if one of your goals is fat loss?

Nobody believes such sorcery!
  • A heartfelt thanks for the kind words and insightful chat!

Wanted to share two quick things which may be of use:

1. Our non-profit animated nutrition education video (think “Schoolhouse Rocks v2.0” :happy: ) http://youtu.be/U36XJaETbh8
    2. A quick note about how spot on the “use things like SSoS as a *starting point* and do what works for you” sentiment is spot on http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/community/#/discussion/1952/jj-virgin-avoid-7-podcast-can-you-discuss-the-avoid-eggs

Thank you again for the kind words and excellent insights.

- Jonathan Bailor
    The Smarter Science of Slim (Aavia, 2012)
    The Calorie Myth (HarperCollins, 2014)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Thank you Jonathan Bailor!! I am star struck!
  • Sundt33
    Sundt33 Posts: 8
    I can't wait to listen to these podcasts! I have always been a tv and general media entertainment fiend. My current favorite show is The Food Hospital! It gives insight into different foods for different body and nutritional issues. The website also has fantastic recipes and tons of information. Now I have something to listen to and to watch to keep me occupied on chill-out days!
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    A few months ago I had finally got fed up with my hubby and I always being sick. I took a class on natural health and healing. Aftrwards I sat down and figured out what vitamin minerals and herbs we needed to feel better. I started with the digestive system that was three weeks ago. Also I got rid of all processes foods. I went back to cooking like we were to the farm. Within one week I had energy again. My pooch started going away too. Three weeks later I feel wondrful. I Android going to oook into "the smarter science of slim" of sounds like it is riht up my alley. If anyone wants more detail to natural healng feel free to riend me. Good luck and good health all.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    I have listened to every single podcast and bonus podcasts, and I learn something new every time. I love it.

I strongly recommend reading the book or listen to the podcast. Make up your own mind, but for me i found that it was really an affirmation of everything I have learned on my journey thus far.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Ok, so here are some urls to follow and I'm sorry - I'm not sure how to actually create the "link" but just cut and paste into url bar:

http://slimissimple.org/ - 12 minute video giving a snapshot of Jonathan Bailor presenting basic philosophy

http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/ - website with links to podcasts and support forums

http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/category/food/sane - Carrie Brown's recipes, some of them are pretty good.

I know this is not for everyone, but it's really helped me (and I have always eaten lots of vegetables) to reduce the sugar and processed stuff in my diet. Especially snacks, this is where I used to snack on crackers and easy packaged things. Now I throw a couple of baby cucumbers in my handbag with my home made protein pancake bites and I'm good to go!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Love the podcasts. Haven't read the book, but looking forward to the new book. He has taken a TON of research and made it easy to understand and use. Not for everyone, but as someone who has always gained the weight back when I ate like other people, it makes sense for me.:smile:
  • fox320
    fox320 Posts: 12
    bump!
  • emck3
    emck3 Posts: 6
    I've been making SANE changes over the last couple of weeks and so far I'm in love with it! Over the last 5-10 years I have destroyed my metabolism through bulimia, binging, yo-yo dieting restricting calories you name it. I do enjoy exercise and participate in 3-4 workouts a week comprised of jogging and resistance so that I wont be changing.

Back to food. Firstly i should say I haven't stuck to the program 100% because I'm sick of telling myself what I should eat based on a formula rather than what I feel like. So admittedly I don't know if I'm eating 10 servings of this or 4 servings of that. What I do is what JB suggests which is eat veggies first, protein second and fat last each time I eat or just try to average it out over the day. There was a bag of red rock deli chips and a couple of tim tams the other night from a hotel mini bar. Also I enjoy the vodka so I've still had a couple on the weekends. However, for the first time in a very long time I'm not hungry and I'm not guilty which is huge for me. I also didn't gain weight overnight from the minibar binge which normally I would. I don't miss bread or pasta at all, although if I start to I will probably just eat some and move on. I'm eating more than I have in a while in terms of volume and calories (up to about 1400 on average) and I've lost 2 kilos (I still eat salt so cynics don't bother with the water weight argument).

So overall, regardless of the initial signs of weight loss I'm loving The Smarter Science of Slim because I'm actually full and happy and not gaining weight!

*Also with some of the claims JB makes in the book that seem a bit daft are explained on the podcast and he's not as extremist as hey may appear in the book.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Thanks emck3 good point about the book vs podcasts. I really like the podcasts because JB does talk about things a lot more casually and explains a lot. It's never about 100% and JB says that as well. But if you can eat well MOST of the time, the rest of it works itself out.

I also agree with finding what is right for you. Personally, I need some carbs with my breakfast and 5/7 days have 30g quinoa or oats in the morning. Works for me. But the basics of SSoS are fantastic, and eating veggies, protein and fat is working really well and I feel great.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    But the basics of SSoS are fantastic, and eating veggies, protein and fat is working really well and I feel great.

I have read the book now and I think it's a great plan which could help a lot of people (especially if they hate calorie counting - which is probably a lot of people in reality!)

I have been doing something quite similar to what he suggests it appears (although I came to it from a different route and I have starchy carbs after a strenuous workout) and it is working really well. The main thing is my cravings have almost disappeared which is simply amazing to me as I've always had a "sweet tooth". Weirdly I am also satisfied with a much smaller amount of sweet things if I do have them.

Restriction has taught me the art of moderation ;)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Am I the only one reading this post purely as an advertisement pushing product?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Am I the only one reading this post purely as an advertisement pushing product?

Yep.

A truthful post would read:

'Hi, I was happy just counting calories and exercising more. But I have read a book and I get to restrict all kinds of food for no good scientific reason. Now, instead of being happy and losing weight at a moderate rate, I get to be miserable. Who else wants to come be miserable with me?'
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    <snip>

Indeed so, I'm sorry I mentioned it, I expect to be dunked in a river in a chair within the week.

Without wishing to add to the perceived 'advertorial' I will say the podcast is worth a listen as it is entertaining and contains solid advice.

Yes, some of the seasoned fitness nuts may 'know it all' but for your average Joe/June it's worth a listen.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    <snip>

Indeed so, I'm sorry I mentioned it, I expect to be dunked in a river in a chair within the week.

Without wishing to add to the perceived 'advertorial' I will say the podcast is worth a listen as it is entertaining and contains solid advice.

Yes, some of the seasoned fitness nuts may 'know it all' but for your average Joe/June it's worth a listen.

Seasoned fitness nuts generally know not to cut out an entire food group for no real reason. There is no need to cut out wheat, rice etc. This is just another fad diet using the word science to try to make it seem legit. :noway: