Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This is the ultimate pepper spray. It sprays kind of like silly string so there is very little chance of getting the residue on yourself. http://www.coldsteel.com/Inferno-Pepper-Spray.aspx
  • jmkrt
    jmkrt Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey,

Ok, this is really gonna sound weird, but I'm a martial arts instructor and usually this works. And you don't need anything illegal!!!

The first step is to be aware of your surroundings. Duh!! Sounds simple. The second step is to be comfortable with yourself and your surroundings. Next, if somebody says something to you that is just plain rude and uncomfortable, YOU have to be assertive in the way you respond. What I mean by this is that you speak in a clear confident voice and you basically tell him to leave you alone. The best example of this, is to pretend that they're the child and your their mom. Weird, I know. But, it helps draw attention from other people unto you.

However, I recommend that you don't insult them, or swear at them. You don't know who they are and you can put yourself in more danger if you do.

If they still bugging you, continue to talk confidently and loudly. Remember, these boys (I refuse to call them men) don't want attention unto themselves. If they decide to attack, then I recommend screaming and using your hips and legs, (Hint: go for their knees, not the groin. the most treasured part of the man is his manhood, therefore that's the area he'll protect the most).

Hope this helps :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

This. Definitely this. And if anyone so much as looks at you sideways, murder them where they stand. Horn honkers get blasted too. Anybody running clockwise on the path when it's counter clockwise day gets kneecapped.

Maybe they were just trying to let me know my keys fell out of my pocket, but hey, I'm not taking any chances. I'm blasting everybody. Better them than me, right?
  • ChaosMoosie
    ChaosMoosie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    women should carry guns period. preferably in .45 or 9mm, and preferably glock. There would be a lot less rapes and harassing if every man knew every woman was packing. Your pepper sprays and dogs are worthless and false sense of security. A reasonably strong man can headlock a dog with one arm, and snap its neck. And pepper spray runs the risk of blowing back into your own eyes, or missing altogether. Also most people stop with a gun to their face. Pepper spray wont stop anyone determined.

I agree totally. There is little as intimidating as a barrel pointing at your center mass.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Many courses in self denfense helps a great deal. All my kids are black belts in Taekwondo. I know some women that carried a blade. Carrying a concealed weapon is a plus too.
    Always be very aware of your surroundings. Cut the headphones down to make sure you still hear EVERYTHING around you. You don't want to be surprised.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1 - I would highly recommend getting a dog.
    2 - Practice your war cry
    3 - perhaps consider doing a self-defense class or a fighting class (boxing, judo, martial arts, etc)
    4 - Carry a weapon
    5 - keep your eyes open, stay on familiar streets to yourself and busy places.
    6 - use your keys if you must, go for the eyes or the balls.

Oh yeah i forgot this one

7 - always appear assertive, confident and strong. Give off the vibe of "if you try to f- with me, i will f- you up, then continue with my jog"
  • ChaosMoosie
    Options
    I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person.
    This isn't possible. Anybody could be armed at any time. And if they are and you're not then you're not really going to have any line of defense against a potential attacker.

I couldn't live with such paranoia. its true that anyone could be armed (much lower chance where I live) but I couldn't walk out the door every day thinking that everyone is a potential murder/rapist. I take sensible precautions when I go out alone, like keep to well populated areas, get cabs home late at night etc.

I use the underground and buses most days, and someone could potentially attempt another 7/7 terrorist attack but I don't stop using public transport. You remain vigilant and get on with life.
    I don't walk around assuming everybody I meet is considering raping me and I'm far from paranoid. You SHOULD be aware that it is possible though, and have a plan in place for how you would meet certain attackers IF it ever happened. If you plan a fire escape route you're not paranoid that your building will burst into flames, and if you carry a gun you're not walking around hoping you get to use it one day.

No disrespect meant to anybody who disagrees with carrying a weapon, but it's definitely in your best interest to have a better plan than blowing a whistle and hoping somebody stops to help before it's too late.

I understand being aware and taking precautions. For me that means keeping to well populated areas, telling people when I plan to be home, taking cabs late at night instead of walking. I don't want to arm myself because apart from the fact its illegal here I think the weapon could easily be turned on me.

I didn't mean any offence with the paranoia line, its just how it comes across to me, but we have grown up in different cultures. I have never even seen a gun, I wouldn't want to live in a country where they are readily available.
    Definitely a cultural thing :tongue: where I live we take our right to bear arms seriously and prefer to rely on ourselves for protection rather than hoping other people don't have poor intentions.

A gun could only be turned on you if you're not well versed with it or you're open carrying and they can clearly see you're armed (possibly making it easier for them to take control of it). A weapon can be drawn and fired in a second easily if you're dealing with an attacker that is very close to you. Should everybody carry a gun? DEFINITELY not. It requires a lot of studying, training, practice, knowledge etc.

Regardless though, a plan should be in place for how to deal with any attacker and in my opinion a gun is the last line of defense. I'd be more afraid to live in a country/state that banned guns.

Very true.

Here is a good option for ladies: http://flashbangholsters.publishpath.com/
    And a video regarding the use of the option: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8r6CY5UZyw
  • ChaosMoosie
    Options
    I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person.
    This isn't possible. Anybody could be armed at any time. And if they are and you're not then you're not really going to have any line of defense against a potential attacker.

I couldn't live with such paranoia. its true that anyone could be armed (much lower chance where I live) but I couldn't walk out the door every day thinking that everyone is a potential murder/rapist. I take sensible precautions when I go out alone, like keep to well populated areas, get cabs home late at night etc.

I use the underground and buses most days, and someone could potentially attempt another 7/7 terrorist attack but I don't stop using public transport. You remain vigilant and get on with life.

It really isn't being paranoid to understand that there is evil and evil people in the world that would harm others simply to get a kick out of their distress.

I sympathize with those who cannot carry weapons in self defense. Your government has done you a great disservice. For those who can carry weapons, learn to use them and carry them. A 120 pound woman is no match for a 220 pound man, but a small pocket pistol and knowing how and WHEN to use it will make up for a lot of muscle and few brains.

If you can use weapons, practice with them and use them. If you cannot, get into martial arts, pray for safety, keep to well lit areas with people around, and keep the headphones OFF.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

This. Definitely this. And if anyone so much as looks at you sideways, murder them where they stand. Horn honkers get blasted too. Anybody running clockwise on the path when it's counter clockwise day gets kneecapped.

Maybe they were just trying to let me know my keys fell out of my pocket, but hey, I'm not taking any chances. I'm blasting everybody. Better them than me, right?

^^^ Unequivocally LOVE that! I mean.. what Dave said.. I mean that gal's butt is great too but mostly, what Dave said.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

Really!! Thats so odd! So what do you do

It's not that strange, to be honest I'm finding all the comments about packing a knife or a gun to be completely insane as it is so against our culture in the UK.

What if the attacker turns the weapon around on you?

I haven't had a lot of trouble, I don't make eye contact and just keep running with my headphones in. So whether someone has shouted me or not I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't know what to do if there was someone who directly approached me but I really, really don't think guns and knives are the answer. It's a massive problem and it's scary that you all have such easy access to guns.

Yeah, terrifying that we all have the right to defend ourselves and loved ones from attackers and intruders. How awful for us. :noway: Wild horses couldn't drag me to live in a country that refuses me the right to pack heat.

Sorry, but being sarcastic about it doesn't really help anybody does it? It may be a right to defend yourself, but look at all the attacks that happen on innocent civilians in the USA. It is quite scary that people are talking so openly about just carrying guns and knives. If I were to be carrying a knife around with me, what would stop an attacker to be wandering around freely with one too. And they would probably be in a much better position to use it on me, than I would on them. Furthermore I would then have no defense mechanism. Why was I carrying a knife in the first place? Why would you need one just casually wandering down the street? And what if something happened? Could they not just 'claim' self-defense too even if that was not the case?

I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person. I completely agree that it is madness that there is such an easy access to guns, when there are so many people in this world who are completely deluded and can cause such chaos and damage. Two wrongs don't make a right at the end of the day.

So, on the off chance my home is intruded by an armed criminal, I should just sit back and let them terrorize my family, because it would just be "quite scary" to own a gun of my own. Riiiiiiight.

Banning guns does not disarm the public. It only disarms the law abiding citizens, allowing criminals free licence to run around unchecked. I'm happy knowing that if someone opened fire in a subway station here, there would be a dozen other people ready gun him down before he caused more damage.

If you lived somewhere where guns were not readily available to anybody who fancied one, there would be a greater reduction of madmen with guns on the loose.

Don't try and make fun of people who do not agree with guns. The reason why we don't have them legally and readily available in the UK, and many other countries, is because in a lot of countries with looser laws, they have a much greater gun crime homicide rate (not Switzerland) and because it is insane to hand out guns to the public to defend themselves with. You cannot play God with peoples lives. You should not have to decide when someone needs to die. You can restrain that person or get away from them quickly and call the police. It's their job.

We are a nation without families owning guns to 'protect' their families with and the majority of us seem to be doing ok. In fact, we have a massively reduced number of homicides compared to the US.I would one million percent live somewhere where people are not as trigger happy, and don't have school shootings and cinema shootings on anywhere near the same level as the US.

It seems to be a huge issue and topic of conversation over in the states, but you'll find the majority of people in the UK are happy with the gun ban here, and when you hear of a big shooting in the US, the main worry is that you have such easy access to guns, not that we wished there were more guns so you could protect yourself against the first gun man. Mainly the people who do have an issue with gun laws in the UK are those who would like to be able to go shooting as a sport and shoot birds and things more easily, and this is nothing to do with the protection of people.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

It really isn't being paranoid to understand that there is evil and evil people in the world that would harm others simply to get a kick out of their distress.

I sympathize with those who cannot carry weapons in self defense. Your government has done you a great disservice. For those who can carry weapons, learn to use them and carry them. A 120 pound woman is no match for a 220 pound man, but a small pocket pistol and knowing how and WHEN to use it will make up for a lot of muscle and few brains.

If you can use weapons, practice with them and use them. If you cannot, get into martial arts, pray for safety, keep to well lit areas with people around, and keep the headphones OFF.

I think the only thing my government has done right is not allow most people to bear arms without appropriate training and license.. our crime rate and population compared to that of the US is much different and it would be unnecessary for everyone to walk around with a gun. Why not train people martial arts instead of carrying arms? Just curious.. I want to hear other reasons aside from the right to bare arms.
  • thephilm1
    thephilm1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know some people who use the 5Star... it's a one button connect to a dispatch center (not 911), and if you are in danger, they'll call 911 for you, but will stay on the line with you - it also has GPS locating.
    http://www.greatcall.com/FiveStar_urgent_response/
    I've seen a few joggers with one by me (no CCW here)
  • amvt2018
    amvt2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My sons have provided me and their sister with a variety of self defense weapons. A couple of the weapons are small, but they will cause a great of damage. It all depends on what time of day and how far I'm going to run what I take with me.

I have several of what you'll on the pages in the link below. :D Yes, I do know how to use them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_4?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=self+defense+weapons&sprefix=self,aps,250
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

I'm very aware there are evil people in the world. I actually think the laws in my country have done me and my family a great service. I certainly don't need anyones sympathy as my chance of being affected by gun violence is considerably lower than those in the US.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Nope, that doesn't sound paranoid at all.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been stalked a few times and had one guy in a truck attempt to follow me home three times before. I had to run through a few people's backyards to lose that creep. I carry a Gerber 3 inch pocket knife with me every run and try to take my dog with me. I also will bite anyone who grabs scarily. It's saved me before.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

I think the only thing my government has done right is not allow most people to bear arms without appropriate training and license.. our crime rate and population compared to that of the US is much different and it would be unnecessary for everyone to walk around with a gun. Why not train people martial arts instead of carrying arms? Just curious.. I want to hear other reasons aside from the right to bare arms.
    In the US we can't carry concealed without proper training and a license either. We don't just stick guns in our pants and start walking around.
    Martial arts isn't a complete alternative. Carrying a weapon should NOT be anybody's first line of defense, so being prepared to get away from the situation is key. A firearm should only be used in an extreme case where you're physically not capable of getting out of the situation without serious injury/death. When martial arts fails, you draw your weapon.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have this same fear now. I run on pretty desolate road (it's busy at times but its in the middle of nowhere actually) and I have to run past a halfway house for men that isn't a secure place (they can come and go as they please) and are usually just sitting outside or walking along the road where I run. It scares the crap out of me when I have to run past it but it's pretty unavoidable unless I drive somewhere else to run. I'd hope that I would put up one hell of a fight if anything ever happened but my head is constantly on a swivel anymore when I'm out! Be safe ladies!!
  • Pudders3
    Pudders3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    <
    I choose not to carry any type of weapon with me, most are not legal here anyway.

This. I guess the people recommending pepper spray etc are posting from the USA? TBH, if it's available and legal, then great, go for it. In the UK things are a bit different. I run by myself - when I lived in a city I would go out at 8pm latest and stick to well lit footpaths by main roads to make sure there were lots of people about and I could keep aware of my surroundings. Now I live in a very rural area and over the winter I wasn't able to go as often as I wanted because of how dark it was and the lack of footpaths. I only run when it's light, I tell my boyfriend when I'm going, my route and when I'll be back, and I always carry my phone and my door key. Probably over-cautious, but I work in the emergency services and I have seen first hand how devastating it can be on the very rare occasions when things go wrong, so I prefer not to take a chance.

You aren't allowed to carry anything made, adapted or intended as an offensive weapon, and you're not allowed to carry firearms (pepper spray canisters in the UK are classified as firearms) or any bladed articles! HOWEVER, you are allowed to instinctively react and defend yourself. So stay aware of your surroundings and how you may be able to use them to your advantage, take your phone, don't have your MP3 player so loud you can't hear who or what is behind you, and resist the urge to get involved in a personality conflict with the occasional f***wit who decides to "compliment" you from their passing vehicle! Most of all, stay safe, and this is a really good website giving personal safety tips for women:

http://www.suzylamplugh.org/personal-safety-tips/free-personal-safety-tips/

I can't do karate anymore because of a shoulder injury but I used to train, and it's excellent for teaching balance, improving reaction time and defensive instincts, and all round fitness - and it's also the best weight loss of any type of exercise I've ever done, so loads of benefits! Sign up if you have a local group, you will probably find more men than women in any given class but it is getting more popular amongst women, and the atmosphere of most groups is extremely supportive and welcoming, regardless of gender balance.

Stay safe xx
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh my, so glad I live in Australia, all the people running around with weapons would scare me more than the creepy guy in the car.